Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM

My DH cleaned and oiled my new FW, but I don't think the Bobbin shuttle case is in right. Not the bobbin case, the pc it fits into. It moves and the needle hits it. He didn't take that apart, so not sure how it is supposed to go in, maybe someone can direct me to a repair manual or something that will show how it is supposed to go in? Can't wait to sewe with this baby!!! Otherwise I will take it to local guy that is very good with the machines. Thanks very much if able to help me out.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM

I was amazed when I saw the attachments and tools that came with the vintage machines, my FW actually has a zig zag attachment, and I have a couple of button hole makers. These items have not changed a lot in looks, I have a button hole maker that I bought new for one of my first "modern" machines, and it looks very much like the older ones! I have, with the vintage, many feet that I was not aware they even made that long ago. A ruffler, a bias tape maker, a narrow hemmer, and several others that I am not even sure what they are for. Wish I didn't have to work so I could spend all my time with these beauties!!

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by hazeljane
I found my girl- born in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Number allotted April 8, 1953. Yeah!!!
HazelJane,
You did an excellent job finding a machine with all those attachments for that price. The cabinet is very nice too. I have not used my button-holer yet, but I understand that they make one of the prettiest buttonholes. I saw someone's test run of making button holes on a blog and it was very pretty. I have that cabinet model; I took mine apart to put on a treadle. Happy to read that you found what you were looking for and more.
Enjoy!
I used my buttonholer on my FW 222K just the other day, and I can definately agree with you, it makes beautiful buttonholes. I just marveled that a straight stitch machine could produce such nice buttonholes with the aid of a 'gadget' attached to the needlebar. Those inventive engineers that came up with it and the zig zagger have my admiration.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by buslady
My DH cleaned and oiled my new FW, but I don't think the Bobbin shuttle case is in right. Not the bobbin case, the pc it fits into. It moves and the needle hits it. He didn't take that apart, so not sure how it is supposed to go in, maybe someone can direct me to a repair manual or something that will show how it is supposed to go in? Can't wait to sewe with this baby!!! Otherwise I will take it to local guy that is very good with the machines. Thanks very much if able to help me out.
There is a finger that should fit into the needle plate right above it. Take the needle plate off and point the finger of the carrier upwards and put the needle plate back on. It should be fitting between the two "Blocks" on the bottom side of the needle plate.

Billy
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 AM

My new 15-91! this is my Christmas present from my husband. $60. on Craigslist with the cabinet. I took all of the advice I have been given and bought this 15-91. Over the phone, the woman said yes, it had some extra feet. It actually has a zig-zagger and button-holer as well as lots of extra feet. And the cabinet is in amazing condition.

For all of you experts, what year was she made? AL 342599.

She has quite a bit of paint loss- she has been used. These pictures are exactly as I got her- she has not been cleaned up or oiled or anything yet.
Your machine is beautiful -- and sometimes a little decal loss is not a bad thing! I have some absolutely beautiful machines with the decals almost perfect! I don't use those machine to sew with, instead I use the ones with the not so perfect decals! Happy sewing!

Nancy
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I collect antique sewing machines. I love them all. I use most of them. I posted a picture of a fw table. Wasn't sure how to post it on here, I posted it on the main page.

I'll post one here for you too. My husband reconditioned it. He reconditiones the sewing cabinets.
Wow! That is a really neat sewing set up! I am jealous! My DH will fix the machines, but he won't touch cabinets!

Nancy
Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 AM

One day after finishing up Christmas quilts/presents, I want to sit down and play with all the attachments that I have. And now I will try them out on all of my low shank machines that they can attach to. I saw on one person's blog where the person used all of her vintage attachments (playing around with them); they worked and all of the work was very pretty.

Originally Posted by buslady
I was amazed when I saw the attachments and tools that came with the vintage machines, my FW actually has a zig zag attachment, and I have a couple of button hole makers. These items have not changed a lot in looks, I have a button hole maker that I bought new for one of my first "modern" machines, and it looks very much like the older ones! I have, with the vintage, many feet that I was not aware they even made that long ago. A ruffler, a bias tape maker, a narrow hemmer, and several others that I am not even sure what they are for. Wish I didn't have to work so I could spend all my time with these beauties!!

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I found my girl- born in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Number allotted April 8, 1953. Yeah!!!
HazelJane,
You did an excellent job finding a machine with all those attachments for that price. The cabinet is very nice too. I have not used my button-holer yet, but I understand that they make one of the prettiest buttonholes. I saw someone's test run of making button holes on a blog and it was very pretty. I have that cabinet model; I took mine apart to put on a treadle. Happy to read that you found what you were looking for and more.
Enjoy!
I used my buttonholer on my FW 222K just the other day, and I can definately agree with you, it makes beautiful buttonholes. I just marveled that a straight stitch machine could produce such nice buttonholes with the aid of a 'gadget' attached to the needlebar. Those inventive engineers that came up with it and the zig zagger have my admiration.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Nancy,
I saw that you like horses. Do you own one of the horse farms up there in Rescue? Are a lot of you quilts with a horse theme? I don't ride, but I do love the quilts with the horse fabrics and theme. Horses are such beautiful animals.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm thinking about sending her to Billy to get a custom coat. Need to find out how much- maybe next year. Wouldn't she be pretty in a shimmery root beer brown? And she'd be ALL mine.

Originally Posted by BoJangles
My new 15-91! this is my Christmas present from my husband. $60. on Craigslist with the cabinet. I took all of the advice I have been given and bought this 15-91. Over the phone, the woman said yes, it had some extra feet. It actually has a zig-zagger and button-holer as well as lots of extra feet. And the cabinet is in amazing condition.

For all of you experts, what year was she made? AL 342599.

She has quite a bit of paint loss- she has been used. These pictures are exactly as I got her- she has not been cleaned up or oiled or anything yet.
Your machine is beautiful -- and sometimes a little decal loss is not a bad thing! I have some absolutely beautiful machines with the decals almost perfect! I don't use those machine to sew with, instead I use the ones with the not so perfect decals! Happy sewing!

Nancy
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 PM

All, not sure if anyone needs some cams or what machine these are for. But this listing is on Goodwill if you are looking for some.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7018541
Old 11-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Lisa...they're for a 70's/80's Kenmore... :) (Have the same stuff that came with my mom's)