Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17 57 66 67 68 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

My Mum's 319 has that box (1958) so yes it is original

Valerekat

Well...it sure is a clean machine! I think that Mark is onto something. Maybe it was used to make, or reinforce the toes of socks, und das is zer gut. (That's all I can remember from my high school German class...LOL)

~ Cindy

My New Bernina...A Long Awaited Addition

I've been wanting an old Bernina forever and finally picked one up. I love the stitch regulator and the oversized light. I paid a little more than I usually do for a machine, but it came with the case and the accessories...and it's green. I had to have it.

~ Cindy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    I've been wanting an old Bernina forever and finally picked one up.
    ~ Cindy
    I think I have to have one, also. What model number should I look for?
    Ron in NW MO

Congrats on your new Bernina! I'd want one too. That's a very cool stitch regulator.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Ron,

I don't know all of the model numbers for the old Bernina's. I think that this one is a 130. I know that the 117s are highly sought after and there are earlier models. I don't think they did that fancy stitch regulator after the 1960s and most were from around the 30s.

Update: OK, I wasn't going to vent. Really, I wasn't. I even took a full day and lost myself in trying to play my violin to distract myself. The long awaited Bernina arrived last night. The small, taped together box was soaking wet and falling apart. When I picked up the machine, water literally poured out of it. The base and case are completely smashed, the junction box is in pieces and I only found part of the bobbin case floating in the box. There was no protective padding around the machine, (however, they did pad up the accessories...thanks,) no box within a box, no foam, peanuts or otherwise, no plastic bag to prevent moisture from coming in. All this after I contacted the Ebay seller and kindly directed her to the Ebay guide for packing sewing machines and told her how common it was for machines to arrive damaged. In one ear, out the other. :::sigh::: It's salvageable, but it will take some doing. I'm hoping the motor still runs after all the moisture. The case and plug will have to be rebuilt. I know...I'm preaching to the choir. Thanks for listening. Now, back to sawing on the fiddle.
    ~ Cindy

Excuse me, my mind was not in the same universe as my fingers. This one is a 117. (130 is a modern machine.) Anyway, the 117 came in green and black, as far as I know.
    ~ C

Cindy,
    That's just heart breaking! I hope you can repair your Bernina.
    Sharon

Ron,

I don't know all of the model numbers for the old Bernina's. I think that this one is a 130. I know that the 117s are highly sought after and there are earlier models. I don't think they did that fancy stitch regulator after the 1960s and most were from around the 30s.

Update: OK, I wasn't going to vent. Really, I wasn't. I even took a full day and lost myself in trying to play my violin to distract myself. The long awaited Bernina arrived last night. The small, taped together box was soaking wet and falling apart. When I picked up the machine, water literally poured out of it. The base and case are completely smashed, the junction box is in pieces and I only found part of the bobbin case floating in the box. There was no protective padding around the machine, (however, they did pad up the accessories...thanks,) no box within a box, no foam, peanuts or otherwise, no plastic bag to prevent moisture from coming in. All this after I contacted the Ebay seller and kindly directed her to the Ebay guide for packing sewing machines and told her how common it was for machines to arrive damaged. In one ear, out the other. :::sigh::: It's salvageable, but it will take some doing. I'm hoping the motor still runs after all the moisture. The case and plug will have to be rebuilt. I know...I'm preaching to the choir. Thanks for listening. Now, back to sawing on the fiddle.
    ~ Cindy
    Are you talking about the sweet green machine pictured a few posts above? If so, I hope you are filing some sort of a claim, against the seller, with eBay.
    Mark

Yes Mark, sad but true. How could someone so blatantly ship such a beautiful item off like that? It's sitting by the stove drying out and every time I walk by it I want to cry. I'm thinking of bathing it in Evaporust as a preventative.

I emailed the seller, but no response. I will definitely file a claim.

~ Cindy

Cindy,

Float it in SM oil or Tri-Flow. Don't let the moisture dry on bare surfaces. That will cause rust for sure.
    Use a hair drier on the motor, and oil it to.

Sorry to hear about the damage. Some sellers just have no business packing heavy objects.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

It's been a few days since it arrived, but I'll dunk it anyway. It's been sitting a safe proximity to the wood stove in hopes of it slowly drying out. I've also been turning the hand wheel whenever I walk by. It was a little sticky this AM, so I'll squirt some oil around the upper areas too.

~ Cindy

~ Cindy
    Update: The seller just gave me a 40% refund for the damage done to this machine. It pays to complain sometimes.
    ~C

Good for you, what shipping company lets their packages get that wet???
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

ok, so these are "sorta" quilted.

I just got this suit of armor back from a happy customer. We made this suit with the idea that it would get him safely through the last years nationals and the Battle of Nations in France(He is on Team USA). We figured we would learn from what worked and didn't and make rev 2. Well that was a little over a year ago and with several local, regional, and national tournaments in this kit, it is finally that time.

He has managed several hundred full contact combats ( they use the same rules, weapons, and armor that was used in the medieval period) in this suit and last weekend took the first shot that actually left a mark on his body through the armor. (the same person/weapon combo that bruised my friend, took 5 other fighters off the field with the same horizontal blow to the center spine....)

We are now going to replace the Canvas with leather.

I took these shorts so folks could get an idea of the OTHER hobby I obsess...

The left and right bits have been flipped to show the inside
    Name:  2014-03-31 20.34.34.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  108.0 KB

Stacks up pretty small (great for international flights)
    Name:  2014-03-31 20.35.33.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  103.0 KB

The legs
    Name:  2014-03-31 20.37.00.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  104.3 KB

The arms (and gauntlets)
    (I did not make these gauntlets, but i am going to repair them)
    Name:  2014-03-31 20.39.52.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  127.5 KB

Blog Entries
    What does it look like on him?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I took these in my shop last night. I am still waiting for the pics of him in it....

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    Good for you, what shipping company lets their packages get that wet???
    To be honest with you, I don't think it was the shipping company's fault, so I'd rather not say. We had a huge rain storm across the state during the week of delivery. The delivery day, the SM was left at our gate for a couple of hours before we knew about it. Our driver had tried his best by putting it in a plastic bag and knotting the bag tight, but the water had obviously soaked through the box long before the plastic bag was put over it. I think that the lesson learned is that if you're going to ship a SM, or anything else for that matter, it's best to bag it before it goes into the box. Unless, of course, it needs to "breathe."

Steve, that armor is so interesting! Do you make it from scratch for your clients, or do you find old armor and refurbish it?

~ Cindy

Steve, that armor is so interesting! Do you make it from scratch for your clients, or do you find old armor and refurbish it?~ Cindy
    Thank you, I do make it from scratch.

Blog Entries
    SteveH you are such an interesting character!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    SteveH you are such an interesting character!
    you have no idea.......

Cool! I was hoping to see some of your armor.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

You inspire me! I have one in the garage that might jump to the front of the line for clean up.

I think I have figured out how to post a photo. Here are a couple of the treadles I have gotten cleaned up.Name:  03-IMG_3681.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  94.7 KBName:  01-IMG_3679.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  80.0 KBName:  04-IMG_3682.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  78.0 KBName:  05-IMG_3684.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  78.8 KB

Just two more for today.Name:  06-IMG_3685.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  77.8 KBName:  07-IMG_3686.JPG
Views: 342