Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Jan - check out the Scrap Happy BOM at http://rebeccamaedesigns.com/. I downloaded January and February came out yesterday. Might give you something to do each month. Of course I am so far behind on all my projects that I don't know when I will get to them! Each month is free if you download it in the month it comes out.

Anael, so sorry about the "black out" of Bram's camera. How scary, hope he is ok!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 AM

QuiltE - do a search on this site for your Walker Bag - there are several cute ones!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Jeanie, Bram is ok! His skin is sore from all the adhesive plasters but the nurses took care of that. Otherwise both are fine today. Tomorrow they will be 2 weeks old/young We never thought both would make it. I hope we will celebrate tomorrow in the RV with all you surrogate grandma's.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM

I'll be at the 2 week old party tomorrow Anael! Us surrogate grandma's will have a great time. Think this calls for a cake! This Oatmeal cake is so easy to make, and is just delicious!

Oatmeal Cake

CAKE
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 ea eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

FROSTING
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk (regular milk works)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup nuts, chopped

1. CAKE Put oatmeal in boiling water. Turn off heat and let set 20 minutes.
Cream together margarine, brown sugar, sugar, and eggs. Stir in flour, soda,
cinnamon and salt. Than add oatmeal mixture. Pour in a greased 9 x 13 metal pan
and bake at 350º for 30 minutes.

2. FROSTING Thoroughly combine ingredients and spread over warm cake. Brown
in broiler.

Last edited by JeanieG; 02-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Never had oatmeal cake before but it sure looks easy. I will have to buy oatmeal! What is soda? Baking soda? I just ordered that because you can't buy that here in the supermarket.

I'm calling it a day. Bram and Isa are ok now, Isa had some trouble breathing but her tube was full with mucus. Once the nurses removed that she was ok again. Let's hope this night will be as quiet as the ones before!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Anael--nice to get on and see some good updates. Your snuggles look so comfy.

Jeanie--your BBs arrived...they are great!!

Just 2 more to get here...I have ideas starting to form on how to assemble. Good thing I've got my PC quilt going.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Anael good thoughts coming your way for a quiet night for the little ones. 2 weeks and counting this is such good news, every hour every day and every week is a true blessing.

QuiltE Road trains are a semi-trailer truck with 3 trailers and are what was in the picture I sent, they carry freight and livestock throughout the Territory as when I lived there the rail line stopped at Alice Springs so this was the only way to get goods into the Territory. The rail link has since been built from Alice Springs to Darwin. Caravans are probably what you call recreational vehicles they are a home on wheels towed by a car or 4WD vehicle.

JeanieG thanks for the link, I love Lone Star Blocks but the only patterns I have are for the large centrepiece ones so may have to try the smaller block. Can you please tell me what is a broiler. It is not a term I have heard before. The Oatmeal cake sounds delicious.

Will meet everyone in the RV for cake and birthday celebrations for Bram and Isa.

I am now going to try and make sense of my sewing room, it is such a mess.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Jeanie, thanks for the link-looks like interesting blocks. I'll try downloading Jan & Feb tonight. That oatmeal cake sounds yummy. Too bad the weight I gain isn't "virtual" like our RV. Thanks for your nice comments on my Quilts for Rosie quilt-that one was fun and pretty easy. The blocks and pieces seemed huge after FWS & PC. I like working with batiks altho that was a little challenging with those blocks; some of the smaller pieces got lost in the larger pieces. My favorite fabric in that quilt is the border fabric. It was one of those I didn't want to cut, just wanted to pet it LOL.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

JanRN ... your border fabric certainly is pettable! Did you start with the border and coordinate the rest with it? Or made the blocks and then found the border fabric after? It is perfect! I think you should show us a picture of the infamous box ... opened! I'm sure that MrJanRN's hints were simply that you should go off on a FART!

MiraB ... yes it would have been the trains that you showed us before, except I thought one truck was hauling more than 3 trailers. Guess it was just the mass of many that made it appear so.

CarrieM ... hope you are having a good family weekend. More archery?

Anael ... Yes, Soda would be Baking Soda. Usually you can use 2 or 3 time Baking Powder instead of the Soda ... and skip the salt or cut back. Poor Lil Isa having troubles, because they hadn't cleaned out her tube. I started celebrating their 2nd birthday yesterday ... for some reason, I kept thinking it was Saturday. And today, has felt more like Sunday. Not quite sure why?

Here's some ingredient subs from Kraft's site.
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/cookin...utionlist.aspx

JeanieG ... Hurrah!!! your BBs have reached CarrieM! Your cake does look delicious ... does it end up being a heavier cake, more like a fruit loaf, or more like a traditional cake?? Of course, the cinnamon gets my attention. And then that "sweet" frosting. My oh My! Not I for the walker bag ... it was QNSue for her AIL. Thanks for the link for that BOM site. Of course, I NEED another project! Would be a nice way to try a Lone Star without being committed to a huge project and could be fun for smaller items.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

DDamsel ... take note!!! Goodies at JeanieG's to devour!!!
February Sulky BOM is up and waiting for you!