Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 83 of 542 FirstFirst ... 33 73 82 83 84 93 133 183 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Yesssssssssss the last block! It's a bit wonky but who cares Lots of Y seams, that's why it's wonky! It's not a Sylvia block but I didn't like the one I had to make so I substituted it for this one. I'm not sure I made the right choice!

Name:  TinekeSchilperoortL9Whirligig (462 x 458).jpg
Views: 94
Size:  60.0 KB
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Here are all the blocks. I couldn't get the last row completely on my screen so it's a bit cut off. You'll get the picture though. I'm glad it's done but it was a lot of fun to make!
    Name:  compleet.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  321.8 KB

Oh my, Anael. That is absolutely gorgeous. I love teal/tourquoise (sp?) and you have a lot of it. Your colors are so nicely balanced. I have the book and had no desire to do this project until I saw yours. Just beautiful! And great news on the babes. I wonder if Bram is restless because Isa isn't near? Glad they're doing so well.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Anael, that is wonderful! Such a great sampler quilt! What size are those blocks? I love all the soft colors, they have such appeal! Love it!!!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Thank you both! It was a lot of work and looking at the blocks I can see which ones I did first. I would not have used those fabrics would I have started later. I started Sylvia when I had been quilting about 8 or 9 months. For some blocks I used the wrong fabrics. But I can see the progress and that's good!
    The blocks are 6" finished.

I don't know Jan why Bram was restless. He is often quite unhappy lately. Maybe because of his infections? His lungs are damaged too from being on the ventilator so long so it's time to get him off. I hope very soon, they talked about today but I would have known if so. I don't get any updates anymore unless something happened otherwise my DS or DDIL have to tell me 'no news' three times a day.

I'm going to get some sleep now, it's 11.30 pm here already! I didn't think it was that late already. Tomorrow I have to run some errands, do some more cleaning and decide what UFO I should finish! I do have some but I pulled out the FWS book already. I don't have that many blocks made yet so lots of work.
    Last edited by Anael; 03-01-2013 at 02:35 PM.

I look, Anael, and admire your Dear Jane, but no thanks right now...tooo many UFOs to work up first and the new ones that just jumped into my cart on the last FART trip...so not looking a any LQS to shop or sites on internet. With high electric bills and propane gas bills to pay first and hope I have some left to start gardening with come late April and early May. Dh has started his sweet potato plants to grow. Good news about the twins, may the good news continue...

The ducks favorite thing is to poke their beaks through the snow and eat the early tulips spouting up in the flower bed. So dh covered the bed with wire, and promises as soon as it stops snowing, he will put them back into the orchard. The chickens continue to lay an average of 16 eggs a day; beginning to find the right people who want to pay the $1. per dozen for chicken eggs.

Thanks, QuiltE, for asking the questions, and Janie, too, so we all know more about who wants what in the mystery block. That is on my plans for the weekend.

My hair is cut short and thinned again, and my head feels so light and refreshed. Three cheers for Mrs. Cooper and her barbering skills. Yes, not a hairdresser, a barber. Grandma always went to the barber shop, saying they cut the hair the way it lays...her brother was a barber all his life. A few hairdressers know that trick, unfortunately I cannot move them with me when we moved!! Advantage is we both get our hair cut at the same time with one trip to town. But I am tired. Happy to find a lot of chatting on the site to read...good to hear from everyone.

If I forget to reply to anyone please forgive me, as there is such a lot of chatting to catch up on..

QuiltE don't know how I mirror imaged my BB's just a smart camera

DD I was so sorry to hear of the loss of Sadie, I know I cried like a baby when our first dog passed away, my poor DS didn't know what to do with his mother so distraught. So he called our neighbour who took charge.

Carriem and everyone else please take care on the slippery roads, I can't imagine how scary that must be. Also your quilt is fabulous, stunning, work of art and lots more adjectives.

JanRN hope you are feeling better and can come join us more often

JanieW miss you, come back soon

QNS, no sewing with DD this time, we had fun though, went shopping, she cooked me a delicious dinner, we spent time in her sewing room sorting fabric, she wants to make a Dear Jane quilt. I kept asking her how she accumulated so much and her reply !!! "I keep raiding your stash Mum, you don't miss a few lengths here and there" so now I know I am not going crazy when looking for a particular fabric and not being able to find it. I did manage to sneak a couple of FQ's out of her stash that I particularly liked. I would not have our relationship any other way. Will ask her to send me a photo of her fabric cupboard..

DH had dinner cooked for me when I got home late yesterday afternoon which was wonderful. It is our anniversary on Monday 4th March, gosh where did the last 35 years go. Might have to do something special, not sure what though.

Anael the news keeps getting better for the twins, I hope Bram is feeling better soon and can join his sister soon. I love your Sylvia blocks, I wish I had the time to start mine, I have a couple made but then I wasn't happy with my fabric choices so have let is sit, maybe I will be inspired this year to get it moving again.

Now I have to finish unpacking the car, too tired to do it yesterday and I haven't sewn for 2 days so might have to rectify that today
    Karen

Mirabelle did you see that quilting on the square has six bonus blocks?

http://www.quiltingonthesquare.com/bcc.aspx
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

Aneal.... your Sylvia quilt is outstanding. Just awesome. Glad the the twins are doing ok. Hope the good news continues each day.

QuiltE..... yes I'll be watching the Brier but sorry to say I won't be cheering for ON!!! My heart belongs to MB, but if AB wins, I could live with that. I was happy to see ON win the Scotties, but I think it's someone else's turn now.

oksewglad.... the camel blanket was like a rug, sort of densely woven , but very colourful. The camel owner was a really neat guy, not like some of them were. A lot were very aggressive, but he was quite laid back. Our time in Egypt was awesome, we left for France 2 days before all the ruckus started up. It's a beautiful country.

Gardnergal.... no saddle sores as I wasn't sitting on Oscar for very long!

I spent the afternoon in the sewing room pulling fabrics for the mystery blocks. I even dug out a couple more PC blocks to do, looked at them and thought no, not today. I only have 4 to go to finish but just can't get motivated. We are expecting a storm tomorrow so maybe then. Probably not.

Ok everyone, I put my Pony Club - pony blocks on my display wall with the brown I originally got for them. Took a photo, then decided to "play" with other colors for my sashing. The first one is the brown, then a cream, then black. What is your favorite? Or can you think of another color that you think I could preview with these blocks? Help!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

QE--the purse pattern was one a picked up in a shop several years ago and made, but never really liked it so this time I altered it to the way I wanted it. I will have to get the name next week if you're interested...no time this weekend. I made a wider base and wider/shorter shoulder strap. Also the original pattern the top all folded over. I decided I didn't need the double thickness so just made a flap instead...

Janie--thanks for sharing the picture of you and the camel. What a special way to spend your anniversary.

Anael--glad to hear good news about the twins and great pictures of your Sylvia quilt. Your blend of blocks/fabrics is really nice. Way to go getting that last block done!!

Everyone has been busy...so good to see the checking in, sorry I can't comment on everything...need to finish getting things ready for our trip to Des Moines tomorrow and a day at the State Archery Tournament...but wanted to see what was going on here before being gone.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

JeanieG, I think your black makes the block 'pop' more. Carrie, good luck with your children in the archery contests, may they come home with top prizes. Check your mail, Carrie, in a couple of days. I got to the PO today and sent the envelope to you.

OksewGlad, its nice you filled in for your dh in the milking shed...my brother wanted to go early to a basketball game on one occasion in high school, and wanted me to milk the cows; I looked him back in the eye, and said, " I have forgotten how to milk the cows by hand!" He never ask again...when he wanted to go play. I did take care of his sheep, and he got the money from the wool and the lambs...without doing the work.

I'm in the process o' gittin' ready for a retreat. I leave on Wed. Why do I always wait till the last min? I've got so much ta do & so little time! I'm so relieved ta hear about the twins. I love both quilts. Wish I had more time ta chat. I'll check back latter.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Jeanie, your blocks look so nice. I agree with QNS: I think the black really makes them stand out. The brown is okay, the cream I think makes them look washed out. Hope I didn't offend-just my very humble opinion. However you finish them, it will be beautiful.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Jeanie--your blocks look very nice together. Have you considered a dark blue sashing...like the blue in the top right block of your first picture? Otherwise I would probably go with the black or a darker brown...I think the blocks blend in a little too much with the cream and tan.

Dublb--I think it is too funny our retreats fall on the same weekends...I will be gone next weekend at retreat too. Ok...really need to get off here and get food ready and get to bed early.

DDamsel, yes I saw the bonus Compass blocks, did mention it awhile back but you may have missed it.

JeanieG I'm sorry but I like the cream, think the black makes the blocks look too dark..Sorry everyone, now we are really going to confuse her

Back to the sewing room, I have half of my mystery block made and even DH likes it..
    Karen

Carrie - Isn't this the second or third time our retreats have been at the same time?
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Thanks for the thoughts on the sashing. I'll see if I have a blue and put that up as another alternative. I agree with your remarks on the brown and cream. When I put it up on the wall with the original brown fabric, I thought it looked kind of blah, so that is why I put up a few more options to look at. Will have to see what else I can come up with.

Hey QuiltE - I thought you would get a kick out of this! The fabric Carrie liked as a possibility for my sashing is none other than.....one of our favorite .....a fusion! LOL Here is what it looks like!

Anyone vote for this color! If so, I'll have to order some (or see if the fabric shop where I got it has any more.

Name:  pc w blue.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  60.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Anael your Sylvia quilt is going to be such a lovely quilt when finished. The crisp white sets off the subtle, soft shades that Jeanie mentioned.
    mirabelle I LOL when I read the FQ "exchange" you had with DD. I wonder how many laughs you guys have given me over the last 2000+ posts. Thanks for everyone of them. Congrats on 35 years. Where does the time go--it flies when we are having fun? The 4th is our GD Avery's 4th BD, too.
    Jeanie I zoomed out your 3 photos. To me the tan is okay; the cream washes them out; and the black made them stand on their own. Then I read Jan's and QNS's replies--sounds like we all saw the same thing. And then mirabelle throws a monkey wrench into it. Carrie had a great suggestion, too. Do what you like, but we all understand why you want the perfect setting.
    Carrie good luck to the archers tomorrow. Glad the weather's good for your drive to DM.
    Janie, thanks for the description of the camel rug. I'm sure they enjoy a bit of color in a sand colored world. Oh and I received a great little squishy today! Thanks so much.
    Guess DH and I are going to State meeting tomorrow. DIL is secretary, but I'm going as stand in. She and DS can spend quality time doing chores and get it done faster than the 2 old folks helping DS. GKids going to other Gma's on the way to meeting. So no sewing for a while. Have a great weekend!

Edit:
    Oh Jeanie, the blue really softens the blocks, but let's them stand out as the black does. Didn't mirabelle think the black a little hard looking with the blocks? Isn't it grand to have such great comments.
    Last edited by oksewglad; 03-01-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

GGal ... Thanks for the info on your Pineapple! So, we';re just doing one big pineapple for the whole 12" block, right? Some blocks may be hard to adapt to 6", but with PPing there is a lot of possibilities. YOu might be lucky to find the blocks in the FWS or Sylvia's books too.

Anael ... Such Grand good news about the SewGrands. I bet their restlessness is because they have been separated! .... and your Sylvia is stunning!!!!!!!!! beautiful indeed! Are those the SewGrands playing on that one block? Some familiar blocks there from PC and FWS! You'll really appreciate this quilt, for the progression of skills that it shows. The fabric choices that you aren't fussy about, just think of them being like the FWS muddy blocks. By the time they are spaced around the quilt, all will disappear!

OKSGlad ... careful now, or you'll be in the sick bay next, too! Thanks ... I'm very happy to be so far along (at last). Hope to get the spare blocks done this weekend, if all goes well. For sure will put some pics up for everyone to see what I've been up to! Here's to your road trip tmro/Saturday and hope DHs back is up for the trip.

MiraB ... Happy 35th! and here's to many more for the two of you.

JanieW ... oh I didn't expect you to be rooting for Ontario! Though your MB cheering was a surprise. Looks like you're being very productive, even if not the PC blocks. Is it the last 4 in the book that remain? or did you hopscotch? Looking forward to seeing your blocks soon!

JeanieG ...Before I got to your blue, I favoured the black for the popping effect, and seconded the brown, for the less dramatic look, more subdued that it created. I'd even typed suggesting a fusions royal blue, like my sashings ... and then!!! BINGO ... you figured that out ... and oh my, that is the one!! Your colours really come to life. They still pop, but flow more together. . Now, what about cornerstones? Or are you going to skip them? Yes Yes Yes!!!

CarrieM ... Good Luck for the Archers tomorrow! Safe travels!!!

Good Night!!! one and all!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all for your lovely comments on my Sylvia blocks! Now to decide on sashing and cornerstones

GGal, Sylvia has a pinapple block, it's # L5.

Jeanie, I love the blue sashing! I thought black too but then I saw the blue and just LOVE it!

I vote for the blue also, black is sometimes too dramatic and overpowering (just my opinion)

Having a sad moment, I finished my mystery block and I can't show anyone I'll just leave it on the design wall and keep admiring it
    Karen

You can show it to me mirabelle! I'm not part of the ride this time!

Page 83 of 542 FirstFirst ... 33 73 82 83 84 93 133 183 ... LastLast