Anyone use a FitBit?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:10 PM

I love my Fit Bit. The first one burned through batteries but I returned it and REI exchanged it for me. I am a couch potato and with the Fit Bit I park further away on purpose. I have the clip on one and it's great. I am up to 5,000 steps a day and am still working on getting up to 10,000. Maybe by Christmas.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM

I don't have an I phone and used the clip on fitbit. Like someone else commented I clip mine to my bra.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:18 AM

I read this thread yesterday morning, and having never heard of this, went to the website and looked it up. Yesterday afternoon, I had an appointment with a diabetic educator/dietician, and she asked me if I have ever heard of this. She had one on and showed me the app on her iPhone. I'm thinking of getting one for motivation. Maybe if I challenge myself more, I can get moving some more!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 AM

Where my husband works they give out gift cards for various health boosting activities, including everyone on the health insurance plan, so me too. One was getting and recording ones activities with a FitBit.
It didn't cost anything so we got one, the pendant type.

He works in the control room at a refinery and half the people in there, theirs broke. They were replaced, I'm not sure if by the company or by the maker, at no cost.

When it happened to mine, after a month of use, I didn't even bother to have it replaced, which they did offer to do.

When I used it, I did not change my acitivity level, and most of the time just stuck in my waistband because I found that to be the most accurate for me.
It was jus too much for my hit-in-the-head (car accident) to keep track of, and then when it broke, that was it. It did not increase my activity level, just kept track of what I normally do, so for me it was just more stress that I didn't need.

I got my gift card by other things that were offered in the list of things to do to get them.

Just read another response and remembered: it was going through a battery every week, just not something I wanted to be involved in

Last edited by RugosaB; 10-28-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 AM

I head about the FitBit but got the Omron GOSmart instead. It records steps, aerobic steps, miles and calories burned. It came with a clip for your belt but I took that off and just carry it in my jeans pocket. Got it at Amazon and it was less expensive than the FitBit. Unlike another pedometer I had it does not record steps when riding in the car.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM

I don't have one but I've read the wrist style irritates some users. So I would suggest the pendant..

I have an Omron with a clip on it. I usually clip it inside my bra, out of the way, and try to get 10,000 steps each day. I've had it for a long time, dropped it several times, and it works great. It's a basic model though, no online record keeping.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 PM

There is a new Fitbit group on Facebook. I'll get the link when I'm on a regular computer but a search of Crafty Fitbit Users will bring it up. Mostly quilters but knitters, scampers, etc are represented too
Rob and I still wear ours every day. Today I only got in 3200 steps...busy sewing!

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:54 PM

DH got a fitbit for his birthday and has used it for 6 moths steady -- he has diabetes and is very sedentary but he faithfully counts his steps. You don't need to have an iphone to use the app -- Windows phone has an app and I think the android does too. He likes to check his progress, but he adjusted his goal of steps down from 10000. The most he moved was when he helped me clean house for Christmas company.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 AM

I got one but wasn't sure if it'd do me any good so I made sure that at least it had a watch so it wouldn't be a total waste, just in case. I got my Vivofit about a month ago and it keeps great time and it motivates me to try to exceed the preset goals, which you can change but since I'm still limited on what I can do its fine. There is a lot of controverary that they aren't accurate and Dr Oz did a show on them and had the tested a medical fitness center. While he didn' t give names out they did find out that the more expensive ones were less accurate, one was over 500. After talking to the audience many said that they do motivate them. I know for the first week I'd sync mine daily on my pc and it was 100% accurate on what time I went to sleep, when I got up in the middle of the night and would even tell me how much heavy or light sleep I got. I only had one pendant that was given to employees of the hospital and was so disappointed in it. If you shook it it would rack up points, that's not right. I can shake my wrist and it does nothing unless I'm walking. I threw the one from the hospital away. another co-worker who has always had one and is athletic threw hers away too. She does the one on the pc. There is also a free website called My fitness pal that has great recipes, workouts, etc and you can sync it with the Vivo fit website.

Samsung is coming out with a new watch soon and the older version will be going on sale and it also has the fitness part and is suppose to be pretty accurate. I'm thinking about getting it because when I'm working I hate carrying my cell with me but need to be able to get missed calls or text messages since I help my daughter with her 4, 2 are infants. Right now the watch is 250, I got my Vivio for 49 at BJ's so I'll give it to my daughter. The band doesn't bother me at all. I was happy that they come in different sizes. I have very small wrist and have a really hard time finding watches that I can wear, or bracelets either. My daughter bought me my first Pandora for Christmas and she tried it on to make sure it would fit me because she knows the problem I have.

Last edited by romanojg; 12-30-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 AM

I'm sure the group would welcome any kind of pedometer, not just fitbits
I just report in with the steps in the daily thread.
I too threw away 3 different pedometers over the years. I think it is today 'chipability' of small things that makes the things work today. Right now I have it clipped to my nighty, as I discovered a while back I do about 500 steps before I ever get dressed
https://www.facebook.com/groups/424687627730095/

mine too, sets my intention for a healthy day.
QuiltnLady, good good good for your husband. I add steps by going up and down the stair twice every time I come down, and while waiting for my spam to burn last night I walked around the downstairs circle a couple of times, 25 steps there. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. I guess because I didn't have encouragers encouraging