Mother's Day Plans/wishes

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Happy early Mother's Day to all.

Some are mothers (me), grandmothers (me), great-grand mothers. Some have mothers who live close by, others who live far away, some have lost mothers (as I have).

Mother's day is bitter sweet for me. Having lost my mother (and father) but having the next generation in the family line. It's a time to celebrate and remember. Miss my mom - who taught me to love the Lord, to sew, love roses, butterflies and... "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

I actually have the day off work and hope to either go for a picnic or at least eat out and enjoy the day with my DH, DD and sil who live close. Praying for a beautiful day of sunshine.

What are your plans or wishes for the day?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 AM

Mother's Day, like a lot of other holidays, seems to be another opportunity for disapointment in some families. My only dtr doesn't live nearby so it's kind of a sad day for me not to have her and the grandsons around. My husband is one of those who do not give a present because "you're not my mother". He is normally a very sweet person but on this particular day, he is a pill. So...this Mother's Day I will go to church and partake in the lovely music program after the service then will take myself on a little hike. Nothing like getting out in nature to give a new perspective.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Mother's Day has never really been celebrated around here. I'm an only child and usually take my Mom to lunch during the week before. She won't go on Sunday because of crowds and the fact my Dad won't eat out.

My kids have never really paid any attention to Mother's Day and I'm not my husbands mother.

I suspect I'll sew.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM

Doesn"t it really make you mad to hear"you're not my mother" I told my guy that he wasn"T my dad either, but it was my job to see that he celebrated on Father's day. Also told him his mom wasn'T my mom, but I was the one who picked out her card and gift and saw to it they were shipped on time. AND, that he was the one responsible for making me a MOM!! Sometimes they are so insensitive!! Then they do something nice and we forget until the next year.LOL For years my birthfay was never important either,it is in Jan. so the kids were always broke. I heard that many times until one year when I said, "if there aren't presents for my birthday, there won't be anymore for the rest of you." Needless to say, I had presents!! Actually, now that all my kids are older and working, they remember me very well. I always told them, when they were little, just make me a card or color me a picture, I don't need presents. And I must say, I ALWAYS have the sweetest, more tear-jerking cards, from all of them, on every birthday and Mother's day. The past four years, they all chip in and buy me planting flowers and then do the planting too. The girls bring potluck and we all enjoy a meal together, and I don't have to do anything. Having them and my grandchildren with me is all I really want and need to make any day special.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM

Happy mothers day. My mom, MIL, and neice are gone. A visit to the cemetary with flowers, the girls bring lunch and sit on their mothers grave (we've bee doing that for six years)Girls are 18 and 20 now.
Then my daughter 24 is( what a great girl.) taking me on a cruise to bermuda. We are leaving dad at home with the dog
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM

My husband has been going on a golf weekend with a great group of guys for several years now. Our children are grown so it's not that we celebrate Mother's Day. But the other guys have some young children. I tried to get our kids when they were little, to understand Father's Day so I felt Dad should work on the Mother's Day understanding. Dad just didn't understand it the same way. It sounds so sad, doesn't it?

So I will be home alone for 3 days and plan to hit yard sales, thrift shops and the sewing machine - what I - I want to do!!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM

There you go!! Have a good time and buy what you want for yourself!! Have a happy and productive shopping Mom's Day!! Sounds good to me! I envy you the three day solitude. My guy use to go fishing like that, but he can't climb in and out of the boats anymore, so he stays home all the time. I loved the days of being able to have a big mess of whatever I wanted to do and no worrires about how it looked. My hubby is sort of a neat freak, so having scrapbooks or sewing things all spread out really bugs him.And it is hard to sew without a mess of some sort!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Here are my roses to all the wonderful Mom's on this board.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39002.jpe   attachment-39003.jpe   attachment-39004.jpe  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM

My hubby has never bought me a Christmas or Birthday present, so why should Mothers Day be any different! When our kids were little I would take them out to buy something little for him on Fathers day. They would bed him to do the same thing for me, but he never did. My kids will try to do something nice for me, but none of them really have any money right now. The presents don't mean anything, but their hugs and appreciation sure does, and I'm sure I'll get that and be a happy camper!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM

thank you for the flowers :-)