Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!! >

September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!!

September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM

meanmom, what are your positives at work? Is there someone from another class you enjoy having lunch with? Is there no one who sees the teacher acting like that and will at least commiserate with you and not talk about it later? I went from being everyone's golden haired girl (red then, but you know what I mean) to having a principal and a teacher whose class I had to be for an hour a day who disliked me - the principal slightly and the teacher intensely. I could live with it because I had so many other friends on the staff and one or two I could blow off steam with. The principal moved, the teacher moved up away from the pre Ks and we all were happy. I used to go for an intense 20 minute walk at lunch, then eat quickly, plus I ate crunchy food after school - good for you for using almonds for your crunchy food. It takes a special person to teach Spec Ed. Apparently, she's not one. TGIF!!

My son came today to work on the roof, put bulbs in my kitchen lights and have his birthday lunch. I made him a crumb topped apple pie instead of a homemade German chocolate cake. He is a healthy eater and a GCC is overkill unless you are having a party and have a lot of help eating it. He agreed though we agreed that graduating to an apple pie makes him old because that's what his dad got when D was growing up.

Pam, when my neighborhood has their semi annual yard sales, I just put things out with a free sign. I can't sit out in the sun or run up and down the stairs, so it works for me. It's fun to watch how long things last -or what people will take. The longest ever was a patio table umbrella in need of repair, but disappeared. It may have gone faster at the Spring sale.

The pea soup story - when I very young after I was married, my mother had to go to Iowa because my grandfather was ill. My husband and I moved into the house to take care of my dad and the younger children. I had the bright idea to make split pea soup and dad worked second shift, so I needed it done quickly. I used the pressure cooker, the foam clogged the valve and blew it off spewing a thick green mess on my mother's freshly painted light blue kitchen. I ran out the door, my husband ran in to turn the burner off. He and my brother had to clean the ceiling because one of my heart defects is such that I can't work with my hands over my head. I do think they made me wash the walls, pregnant or not. I'm sure my hot headed, very clean mother found remnants of my misadventure for months. Later, when I had a pressure cooker, I made bean soup a lot. I think I did SP, too, because I had a bigger pressure cooker. I made some SP recently. It is so good this time of year. Now for some bean.

I am losing weigh and getting healthier.

Last edited by irishrose; 09-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM

IN the classroom where I work there is another aide full time. I really like her but she is really good friends with the teacher. They have vacationed together, that is part of the problem. I could not talk to her. The other aide is only in there part of the day and she is nearly as miserable as me. From what I have been told going to the principal would be a mistake. My lunch time has been changed to 1:00PM so no one else is in there then. They have moved all of the teachers around this year mixing up 2 schools. We never get out of our room, I don't know most of them. (I don't even know their names) The kids in the room are a mess and that is stressful but they aren't what bothers me. I pretty much can't say a word in the room because anything I say is instantly shot down. They talk to each other at night and discuss school things so I never have a clue what is going on. There was a discussion the other day with the school psychiatrist about one of the kids. They had apparently discussed it on the phone. The list just goes on and on. 4 of the kids are in diapers and somehow it is my job to change them all. She acts like it takes me too long to do it. 2 of them are in wheel chairs so they have to be removed, shoulder straps, seatbelt, ankle straps etc which takes a lot of time. I do 3 of them while the other aid takes the other 4 kids to the restroom and washes hands and brushes teeth. I think that is pretty fast. I got a dirty look the other day because I think I took too long to pee.(maybe I need diapers too) I have a lot of sick days built up I think I will start to take them.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Sorry Ladies, I forgot to post the new thread for October. I will be posting it here in a few moments. I need to take care of it before I go out on my dinner/movie date. And yes it is with the same man as last weekend. We are having a good time getting to know one another and enjoying each others company.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ml#post5549683

Here is the link for the October weight loss adventure.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Start taking Fridays off. The long weekend will be relaxing and maybe she'll appreciate you more after having to train a variety of subs. I wouldn't take any days off, but I was in a different situation than you. I did pull out reading and math remediation of regular ed students. If I didn't teach my students to read their lives would be drastically altered and so many only needed to be taught in a different modality than a classroom can offer. I have at least two doctors and several teachers among my former students, which is a nice feeling. My near failure - severely dyslectic - is a long distance truck driver. He says he may never read a novel, but because of me, he can read road signs, directions from his company and do his log ins correctly. I subbed in all assistant capacities for 7 years after I retired. That was an experience.

All my apple peeling this week has caused a RA flare in my left hand. Ouchie! I have 3 more pies I want to make, but I can space them out. Why do men prefer pie over other desserts?

Lazy day today. I will clean the house a bit and sew on the bazaar quilt a bit. I should be further than I am on that. D left tar on the white carpet under his chair, so that's the first thing on my list.

I forgot to weigh myself this morning, but I'm not in the running. I'll be thrilled if I've lost the 8 pounds the antibiotics put on me. Who is September's winner??? Not me, but I don't ever expect to be.

I have leftover pork for dinner. D wanted goulash for lunch but I can't eat it so I cooked a pork recipe I like - he had both. Pork, salsa, taco seasoning, cream of chicken soup, extra cumin in the crockpot. When it's tender, you stir in a can of refried beans (I used seasoned). Yesterday I just had it with salad, but tonight I may put it on some rice. While I have the rice out, I need to make a new rice bag for my neck. Lily ate my old one. Moira destroys nothing and Lily very little, but the toasted rice must have smelled good and she is a dog, after all. Siberians seem to have a perchant for such things.

Cindy, have a lovely time this evening.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM

September's winner will not be me either. My son was home this week and that meant cooking and eating. He leaves on Sunday after a huge dinner of Beef Rib Roast. I am hoping that all my children will be here for dinner. It will be the first time they have all been together since May. Last weekend did not work out for two of my daughters. Hope this one does.
My son will be leaving in January for a 10 month deployment. He has been told that he needs to be pack and ready to be gone for 10 months starting on their next time at sea next week.... just in case.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Well I don't think I'll be September's winner either, oops negative thought lol. At my last weigh in I have lost 4 pounds this month, hopefully tomorrow will show another pound or two.

meanmom my heart goes out to you to have such a toxic workplace. I have worked in jobs nearly as bad and kept telling myself that it all evens out in the end. I really do believe in karma (or whatever you want to call it) and that we will all be "rewarded" according to how we have lived our lives.

Judy I love the pea soup story! The kitchen must have looked like the set of the Exorcist. And it's why I am such a goober about using a pressure cooker. I'm such a wuss about some things.

Cindy have fun on your date, but not too much fun LOL.

Oh a family dinner sounds wonderful Gayle, I sure do miss the days when my siblings would actually act like adults and could be in the same room. I am so very glad my son is still living at home and we can have dinner together, at least the nights he isn't working. Please tell your son how much I appreciate his service, I am so grateful to all the young men and women who serve.

I did get at least a short walk in nearly every day this week, the weather was wonderful. I love fall in Ohio, well at least early fall before the rains begin. Doing a little better on the water, portion control is still iffy. I am getting healthier, yes I am!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM

well, i have been good this month. i'm giving someone a run for their money. But i do allow myself l dessert a week. usually on sunday's. so would have been better if not for that. good luck at wt in tomorrow morning ladies.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Enjoyed my date, spending time with him. We were going to a steak house only to find out that they are moving locations, and closed until October 4th. So we ended up having Tex Mex at On the Border. then went to the movies.......and yesterday was a day of non stop pouring rain. So since the temps were down, I wore a sweater coz most movie theaters are always cold. This one had the heat on and I ended up getting overheated ........ugh that sucked. He was willing to leave if i wanted to. We saw End of Watch, neither one of use were pleased with the movie, I dont recommend spending your money on it.

Today I went to the Texas Rangers baseball game at noon against the LA Angels, rangers lost. But I had a great time. Temps were nice, had a nne wind blowing keeping it nice. Watching the second rangers game of the day since last nights game was postponed due to rain. right now the rangers are winning.

Remember you are in control of what you put in your mouth and what you do. Drink you water and get in your fruits and veggies.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 AM

Pam I do have another suggestion for Taboo Tuesday, it might make it easier. What if we change it to Try It Tuesday? That way instead of focusing on the negative, ie what we have to give up, we could focus on a positive change. It could be a mix of new things to try, and things to try to do without.

Cindy I don't think I've ever been to a movie theater that wasn't freezing cold! Gosh I can't remember the last time I went to a movie. When I look at the movie page and then the prices, I just stay home.