Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting guilds >

quilting guilds

quilting guilds

Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 AM

Good for you :thumbup:

"I try to look out for the 'new ones' and do my best to make them feel welcome and a part of who we are."
Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 AM

I'm surprised there is so much negative feedback about quilt guilds. I can't imagine quilting life without my large guild. I have belonged to two different large guilds and, at the same time, small quilting groups - each fulfills a different need. Each guild is different and each person takes/gives something different from the guild. You will never know until you check it out and give it a try for a time. My guilds have both had about 250 members (only half come to the meetings). The advantage of a large guild is that it can afford to bring in nationally known quilt teachers for the programs. Many people think show & tell is the best part. I love the programs - nationally known quilt teachers and even local quilt teachers - whatever. And I love being exposed to a diverse group of quilters. It took me a while to feel comfortable in a guild because it can be overwhelming, especially if you don't know anyone. So give it time. But the best way to become part of the guild is to participate in the activities and to volunteer on the committees. There are usually so many different types of activities that there is something for everyone. It will also give you a chance to meet new people who could perhaps join you in a small group.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 AM

WOW I read these responses with mixed emotions, since my hubby has been egging me on to join one. Now I know why Iam resisting, I used to belong to groups (not quilting) years ago, but got tired of all the cliquing, and politiking, etc. Looks like some things remain the same no matter where you are, and I guess I just don't have the energy for one more thing. I still belong to interior design group ASID and sit on a board for our city, guess thats enough for now.:)
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 AM

I have a good time and learn a lot from the other girls. We do a lot of guilts for others that need them. I can't waite for the time to come to go and talk and learn things.We have a good time. Ruth
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM

I belong to a guild and enjoy it very much. This group is fun loving and so caring. We make quilts and donate them to a womens' shelter and to a facility that finds homes for abused children. We meet monthly and have a program. We also have a "bee" once a month where we can work on something from home or on one of our charity projects. Every now and then we have someone come in and teach a class. Belonging to a quilt guild has been so personally enriching. Try one - you will make new friends and have lots of fun.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM

I belong to a guild. Iit has over 200 members and not everyone shows up at the same time, but when their schdules allow. Ours is a friendly group. best thing about our guild is the learning experiences. Workshops have very famous teachers, Billie Lauder, Sally Schroeder (?), etc. There are 6 workshops per yr for $40. -this yrs prices-. Some are just 1 day; occasionally 2 day. Even if technique is never used again, it is a fun day-lots of laughing, woops sewed it wrong, and goings on. Another extra nice thing is the sub-groups I belong to Commuity Service where we make quilts for charities/hospitals, sericemen's families all the while learning new techniques. There are always some people who have their noses up in the air-those you stay away from and don't let them bother you. Question you need to ask youself is Why is my reason for joining; do I want to learn, new things, see guest speakers and their quilts and hear tips and their mistakes, (we are all mistake makers) see show and tell. We have Bonnie Hunter coming in October 2011 and i'm looking forward to that. Give it a try, you can be a guest up to 3 meetings before deciding to join/not join. Have fun.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

PS That's $40./workshop. Guild has a minimial $25.00 yearly fee.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I also had a bad experience when I was going to join a guild.It was so big, you were on a list & was supposed to join as an opening came up.A friend told me, they chose ppl from the list they were buddies with,that your name would be on there for yrs before you got in, if you ever did.
Not for me.My name describes me very well.I'd like the speakers & show & tell, but the Queen Bee syndrome is alive & well. Would love to have a small group of quilters such as you describe, but don't know other quilters.No prob tho, I'm used to it & gain so much from this board.

Originally Posted by tjradj
I do belong to a guild. The meetings are very formal and the attendance is usually around 200 people.
There isn't much camaraderie among new people. The old guard is a pretty tough clique to crack.
I even served on our quilt show committee to try to fit in but all we got was grief from the 'old gals.'
And yes, there are a few with the 'Queen Bee' syndrome.
The reason I still go is because I'm exposed to new things. We often have guest speakers that have a new take on quilting art. Some are absolutely beautiful, and inspiring.
I would not know about a lot of techniques and would not be challenged to try new things if I didn't go to my guild.
NOW, I also belong to another club.
There, we laugh, a lot.
It's a senior's group. But they adopted me, even though I'm not 'legal' as a senior. LOL
We sew. We stitch 'n bitch. And we laugh.. We support each other and we ooh and aah over each other's projects. We even 'do lunch.'
There is no comparison of the two.
Your description of choosing a "buddy" method of membership is sadly not unusual - I belonged to a garden club that was that way. Didn't miss it when I moved. But a caring fun group is so enjoyable. It pays to shop around.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM

I've enjoyed reading this post. I belong to a guild with about 60-90 members that has a meeting monthly.

What I've noticed are that there are a lot of chair warmers who don't engage with others but seem to wait for whatever. Then there are those who are willing to introduce themselves and engage others and share their love of quilting.

I guess I am of the latter variety because I am glad I got to meet and interact with so many really different and neat quilters.

For those who are the more quiet ones, I strongly suggest they try to get involved. It might only be making one new quilting buddy each time ... but, keep trying and attend as many events as possible.

I guess it is like when you first went to school. Hopefully you eventualy made friends and had a good time while learning.

I will also admit to attending one guild where I was told point blank that I couldn't sit in an empty chair because "someone might want to sit there." Sinde I felt I was someone, I never did go back to that group and don't miss it at all.

ali
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I am president of my guild and have been the last three years. This year I told them I would not run for President. I made quiet a lot of changes in the guild that did away with the stuffiness of the meetings. My main concern was keeping the new members interested and the older members happy. The elderly members do not like change and most are founding members too. The older members are the ones that cause more problems for our guild. I started a mini group at the guild for members interested in more modern fast quilts. Now the mini group has more members attending then the regular guild. The older members sees the mini group as a take over and it won't be long we will have enough votes to change the by laws out voting them. I know then the older members will stop coming. But the guild needs the new members. It hasn't been a dull three years.