Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-23-2017, 04:57 AM

I was a tad dismayed at this last clue, but at least we don't have to do Tri-Recs! I'm doing the 4 at a time method and still haven't completely finished the last ones (I'm close), so I'll cut the squares out, mark the neutrals and get to them over this weekend. The nice thing is I haven't fallen as far behind this time as I usually do.
    Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 AM

Sewbiz- You Can Do It!!! But I’m wondering why I decided to do the full size???????

Ube- those units look great! I hope you’re feeling better.

I have finally finished clue 3 and with the help of my new easy angle ruler (after stuggling mightily to figure out how to use it— reading the instructions was a big help) I am halfway done with sewing and pressing Clue 4. Might actually get caught up this week. I’m using my Kimberly Einmo ruler for the geese units, thanks to Kristi (and also reading the instructions) for helping me remember how to use it! It made the process go a lot faster for clue 2.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-23-2017 at 05:54 AM.
    Old 12-23-2017, 07:16 AM

I haven't been on here much this year, but I'm playing along on the mystery with a group of local friends. 12 of us decided to rent a location and meet every Friday night to work on Bonnie's clues. It's been great fun - and a great sharing/learning experience for all of us!

The tool of choice for our group has been Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper ruler. Trims flying geese perfectly. And it can also be used for the Clue 3 units if you make them Deb's way (with offset 4-patches). I don't think any of us have used the easy angle/essential triangle at all this year (which I feel badly about, since I recommended the purchase).

My clue 5 is done (i'm all up to date!). We were debating what's next. Based on past experience, I'm predicting one more week of making individual units of some sort, and then the full blowout block making & assembly on New Year's Day.
    Old 12-23-2017, 07:18 AM

sewbizgirl, you can whip out those geese in no time!

I also took the time to re-read the clue #2 instructions, to make sure I didn't cut anything the wrong size. My back was not cooperating yesterday, so I didn't progress far with cutting, but have high hopes for today.

I love reading about everyone's progress, both with the mystery and with the holidays. Happy holidays to all!

edit

Krista, what a great idea to rent a venue for working on the mystery! That sounds like great fun. What would I look up to find out more about Deb Tucker's method for doing clue #3?

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-23-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Old 12-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Krista, that sounds like so much fun! I wished I live closer, I would join you all!

For clue 2, I used the Flying Geese ruler I have but I might try the simple folded corners ruler for this one. I had good results using it with clue 3 so I have some hope!

I love the cutting and sewing part of each clue, but I hate the slow finger pressing of over 400 seams and the trimming. I try to watch Netflix or something while I do it to pass the boredom. Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by NZquilter; 12-23-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    Old 12-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    All mine got finished today, I am doing the 4 at a time no waste. I still need to trim them, maybe I'll get a chance at work tomorrow. I've been playing w/ zig zag fabric yesterday and today in between the geese today.
    I saw the Dresden you made with the zigzag on FB - Amazing!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-23-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: remove shouting
    Old 12-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I'm officially giving up on Easy Angle/Companion Angle for geese. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every one has the top pieces slanting down. At this point, I'm just glad Easy Angle worked well for me on clue #4.
    you have to stack your fabric strips right or wrong side together to get left and right hand pairs with each cut. I made that mistake the first year I used it
    Old 12-23-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz
    I haven't been on here much this year, but I'm playing along on the mystery with a group of local friends. 12 of us decided to rent a location and meet every Friday night to work on Bonnie's clues. It's been great fun - and a great sharing/learning experience for all of us!

The tool of choice for our group has been Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper ruler. Trims flying geese perfectly. And it can also be used for the Clue 3 units if you make them Deb's way (with offset 4-patches). I don't think any of us have used the easy angle/essential triangle at all this year (which I feel badly about, since I recommended the purchase).

My clue 5 is done (i'm all up to date!). We were debating what's next. Based on past experience, I'm predicting one more week of making individual units of some sort, and then the full blowout block making & assembly on New Year's Day.
    Krista, this is a great idea. It’s such fun to sew with friends. Thanks for the input on the ruler. Merry Christmas.
    Old 12-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Way behind here. Finished clue 2, and have a good start on 3 & 4. I have started cutting for clue 5 but I keep thinking of things that just need to be done...somewhere else. Ugh, I'm not complaining, lol, but I'm close. I figure anything with this many tiny pieces is going to be drop dead gorgeous.

I have been enjoying everyone's work here. It's encouraging.
    Old 12-23-2017, 08:36 AM

I've got clue 3 done with the alternate and almost done with the half size. Going to take a break from sewing and go LA for a few hours. I've finally got one of my Affairs of the Heart tops on the frame, and it's slow going.