Did I hear you correctly?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM

There's only 25 calories in a 1/4 cup of gravy made with most mixes.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by IraJane View Post
My favorite is when I ask for an ice cream cone, and they ask if it is "for here or to go". I'd like to ask "does it really make a difference?"
In that case, it may have to do with charging sales tax. In some states, there is sales tax if you eat on site, and none if you take it to go.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM

I used to work in a drugstore next to a small sandwich shop where I got my dinner. I always got the grilled cheese sandwich, cheapest thing on the menu (college days, lol)
The owner, who was an immigrant from Greece, would always ask "Lettuce, tomato?" which I thought was odd but that he probably asked on all sandwiches. After a few times I said OK to the tomato and discovered how much I like a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich!!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM

I think now fast food places train the empoyee to respond to customers in such a way that it become automatic after awhile, so the employee isn't actually listening to the customer. Some are just to dence to understand that a bacon cheese burger should come with bacon and if it didn't it isn't a bcb. Having worked fast food many, many, many years ago I remember how mind numbing it can be. Heck most fast food employees don't have a clue about how to count change. They count out the amount the registers says and shove it at you, I always count. I don't think i've actually had someone count back change in years at a fast food place. I had a boss who wouldn't let us use the register to give change, if you couldn't do off top of your head you didn't work for him.

One other thing, our local McD's put a sign up a couple months ago to please know your selections when you approach the speaker at the drive up, they were having an issue with traffic back up. That works nicely if in fact you 1: know what you want, 2: know the menu, and 3: if someone is with you know what they want. I noticed about two weeks ago they put up another sign that shows what is actually on the menu.

Last edited by valsma; 02-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
You don't say which part of the country you are from but for my ex-mother-in-law, from Kentucky, milk gravy was the only gravy there was, and boy was it good!
I am from the upper Midwest where we had chicken gravy, turkey gravy, beef gravy, pork gravy etc. and never had milk gravy til I was in college in the South. I like them all!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by valsma View Post
I think now fast food places train the empoyee to respond to customers in such a way that it become automatic after awhile, so the employee isn't actually listening to the customer. Some are just to dence to understand that a bacon cheese burger should come with bacon and if it didn't it isn't a bcb. Having worked fast food many, many, many years ago I remember how mind numbing it can be. Heck most fast food employees don't have a clue about how to count change. They count out the amount the registers says and shove it at you, I always count. I don't think i've actually had someone count back change in years at a fast food place. I had a boss who wouldn't let us use the register to give change, if you couldn't do off top of your head you didn't work for him.

One other thing, our local McD's put a sign up a couple months ago to please know your selections when you approach the speaker at the drive up, they were having an issue with traffic back up. That works nicely if in fact you 1: know what you want, 2: know the menu, and 3: if someone is with you know what they want. I noticed about two weeks ago they put up another sign that shows what is actually on the menu.
We must have had the same boss. We couldn't be on the register at T G & Y if we couldn't count back change. No we would be hard pressed to find someone who could count it back to us.

The other day, a clerk rang up something for me on the register which should have been 40% off. It did not ring up right, so I said, "With 40% off, it should be ..." She said, "How would you know? Do you have a calculator?" She was shocked that I could figure 40% off of $16.00 without a calculator. How sad.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by HollyDav View Post
I drink coffee "dark no sugar" try getting that right at the drive through. Especially if there is high school kid running the window. Kids just don't get "dark coffee" I've learned to check it, usually it's so creamy I can't drink it. Have to go in and have them pour half our and add black coffee back in. Sheesh.
Hub is diabetic so I have to order both of us coffee with just cream and ask for my sugar at the window or they might put sugar in both coffees. Since it is difficult for him to put cream in due to health problem I ask if they will but often they say they are not allowed to do it and we have to pull over and I help add the cream. Fast food is never fast. I like frozen cokes at Burger King but they say the machine is broken tried 4 Burger kings and they all said the same??? But I wonder if I worked there would my brain get so reprogramed that I would do the same. Walk a mile in my moccasins etc.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM

This has nothing to do with food but is about listening: employer asked interviewed person what kind of suspervision he liked best and he responded he always thought superman's X-ray vision would be nice. Not sure if it was a joke or really said. Cute tho.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Having worked with the public for years, the public can be as dumb as you think the workers are. There are rules you have to follow and sometimes people do not understand. Please be patient and give them a smile and make both of your day easier.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 AM

The only places around here that serve chicken gravy is chicken places (KFC). Otherwise it's brown or white. And, my hubby eats his BLT with olives, jalepeno, and no tomato.
I've waited tables, and caught myself asking my share of stupid questions - not because I wasn't listening, but because you get in a routine of questions to ask. Some one orders eggs - you ask how they want them cooked - and sometimes the questions slips out even if they've already given the answer. And background noise is killer when the person talking to you is looking down at the menu.