Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by JaKnits
I am so excited, I picked up my new treadle today and it appears to be in really good shape. I need to get a belt for it, and find out how to oil it. The cabinet is in great shape in spite of having been painted.

The manual is crumbling, but says it was made in 1904 and is model # 939115, the machine says Standart. Does anyone know who made this machine, what type of needles and bobbins it uses, and any other info.?

!
Congrats on your treadle. There is some good wood under all that black paint, lol. Just take it one step at a time and you will get lots of help and atta girls here. I don't think I've ever seen a Standart; I thought you had misspelled Standard, lol.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Does anyone have some of the Touch and Swears (Sews)? Specifically the 600, 603, 628 or 728? I have some stuff for those models I need to find a new home for. I'm not listing for sale. You can PM me.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I have a Davis Model D that looks similar to your Standart. It has the same stitch regulator and the bobbin winder is in the same place. It also has the two thread pins on top; one in the center and the other to the right. What I have read is that mine was made in 1918. Your machine is very pretty. The decals on mine are practically gone.
I am so excited, I picked up my new treadle today and it appears to be in really good shape. I need to get a belt for it, and find out how to oil it. The cabinet is in great shape in spite of having been painted.

The manual is crumbling, but says it was made in 1904 and is model # 939115, the machine says Standart. Does anyone know who made this machine, what type of needles and bobbins it uses, and any other info.?

Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
Thanks in advance for any info. you can give me about my exciting new treasure!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Hi all,
Well in addition to my fabulous 319 from the estate sale last weekend, I got my FW in the mail yesterday. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but is not sewing, yet:) I need to oil it and make sure the bobbin case finger is in the right place, as well as clean it. It seems there is a lot of gunky ,orangish buildup in the bobbin case area, and essentially all over.I believe it's old oil. What should I use to clean the gunky stuff off. I don't really want to do the entire dismantle , if I don't have to.. What gets this old oil/greasy mess off without damaging the machine or finish?
Thanks much,
Jane
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

[quote=melinda1962]I have a Davis Model D that looks similar to your Standart. It has the same stitch regulator and the bobbin winder is in the same place. It also has the two thread pins on top; one in the center and the other to the right. What I have read is that mine was made in 1918. Your machine is very pretty. The decals on mine are practically gone

If it a Davis type, it will be easier to find parts I should think. Good luck with her; she is neat!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM

I find a listing on CL, next town over, for a 15-90 and an elec. 201, $50 for both or $30 each. I'm emailing her for both while doing the dance of joy only to find out that the 201 is spoken for already = I bring the 15 home with cabinet and chair, and realize she's exactly one month younger than DH, so I say "You should name her"... Miss Shilah (??) was born 12/20/1946. She was pretty clean but when I spread the GoJo, a yellow brown came up. I guess she hung out with a smoking crowd. She needs to be rewired which DH can do and she's missing a bobbin thingy, bobbins and a needle. I someone can help me with purchasing these things, I'd appreciate it. I wanted to post this on the vintage section, but there's no file attachment for the pictures.
The pictures are in the picture section. I couldn't get them to paste here

(Edit Description) (Delete)

(Edit Description) (Delete)

Annie
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
Your "new" treadle machine is a beauty!! Now that you have your first vintage machine I think it's only fair to tell you that you will soon have many more. You won't be able to help yourself once you have caught the virus.

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM

JaKnits,

She is very pretty. . . I will eagerly watch with you for info from others on your new addition. Congratulations!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Brenda
Brenda, you are quite welcome. Everyone on this site tries their best to help each of us. I don't know what I would have done without this site when I started my vintage addiction. With the help of all of you and this great shop, it has been a really fun journey for all of us vintage machine addicts!

Nancy
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 PM

What the best thing to put on my wood pitman. We have wood heat and I wondered about the wood drying out. What do you all use on yours?