Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 AM

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/cancan.gif[/img] Happy Birthday to you Miz Johnny!!!!

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Billy: This parlor cabinet is even nicer than the other one that was near Boston...check it out!!:
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/atq/2244435390.html
I would almost drive to Boston for that one. . . .
I think that Billy must have decided to go for it. Has anyone heard from him since he contacted the seller?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
There's a Singer 27 in the paper tonight for $100. I'm NOT going to call about it!
Yeah, be strong!!!!! :lol: Did you buy it yet? :XD:
Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/hsh/2239564133.html

Any thoughts?

And shame on me for not posting the last machine I picked up last month!! :roll: :roll: :oops:
I have never seen a portable with the fold out table in front! Quite amazing, but I'd haggle over the price -- too high. Very nice machine, though.

Nancy
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wytetygeress
Hello, i have a question.
How do i find out what year a free westinghouse style 955902-f is? and once i find this out how do i get parts. the rubber piece that goes from the motor to the ?balance? wheel needs to be replaced.
Don't know how to age a Free Westinghouse, but if you mean that it is a friction driven pulley, that rubber wheel is available at most repair shops and on the internet. Just do a search of the wheel for a friction pulley sewing machine. If the machine is ok, except for the rubber part of the friction pulley, once you get that, you should be good to go!

Nancy

I should add that the Free Westinghouse electric sewing machine was made by the Free Sewing Machine Company. The Free Sewing Machine Company was in business from 1910 to 1958. I'd bet your machine comes in somewhere in the middle. It seems the friction type machines were real popular in the 20 and 30's -- but, I don't know of a dating site for the Free machines.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I am betting your New Home takes a 20 x 1 needle.
Miz Johnny isn't the 20x1 a Boye # 4?

Nancy
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
But I was a hell of a lot younger then like in my early 30's and I am 44 now.........

Billy
Geez!!! All of my kids are older than you!!! :roll:[/quote]

ditto on the kids...Mine are too!!! :thumbup:
Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Wanted to share my new info for those who may be interested. I had acquired a Singer 31-15 Industrial treadle because I heard so much about how great they are for quilting. The thing's a BEAST! Took a very long time to clean it (it was the most filthy machine I ever owned), but it was SO worth the time it took.

I ordered a Juki hopping foot for him, and I'll tell ya it works WONDERFULLY for fm quilting. I did discover, however, that Bubba prefers a size 16 needle over a size 14 (was skipping stitches with the 14).

Yesterday I got enough nerve to try to modify a Singer Professional Walking Foot by using plans on another group I belong to (Treadle On), which had me actually shave some of the metal off where the arm lifts up to accommodate the 31-15 higher throw space, and it worked!! Wasn't hard at all, either. So if anyone has an industrial Singer, just wanted to say there's an option out there for the walking foot. Can't wait to give it a try on DD's quilt. Just waiting for the thread to come in the mail. :)
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I took the dressmaker machine to be repaired and the repair man said that it was made by Riccar. He also said that he had never seen a bobbin winder like that and doubted if he could find one to fix the machine. He went on to say that I needed the cams to do any thing besides straight stitch. My daughter found no cams with this machne. I guess it is back to the dumpster for this poor old lady. Kathie S.
Kathie don't toss the machine out yet. Look at this ad on E-bay for the Dressmaker cams and instruction book.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dressmaker-sewin...item2eb394d6ae

[/quote]

Kathie, does your Dressmaker have a model number somewhere on the machine - like S3000a? If you can find a model number, I may try and get these cams.

Nancy
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM

Kathie, does your Dressmaker have a model number somewhere on the machine - like S3000a? If you can find a model number, I may try and get these cams.

Nancy[/quote]
I could not find a model number anywhere on the machine. I decided to bid on them anyway. I bid high and about an hour later I was out bid. I did not want to go higher because of not knowning if the cams would fit or not. Thank you for telling me about them. Kathie
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I think that Billy must have decided to go for it. Has anyone heard from him since he contacted the seller?
The seller never contacted me and the truck was gassed up and ready to roll! I still have not heard from them as of yet so I think it is sold already. I hate it when they do not take the ad off after it is sold. :evil:

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Miz Johny!!!

Billy