Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Unless prices are much higher in your area, IMHO, $250 is steep. I bought a 1916, electric Red Eye in its cabinet with all of the attachments for $125 in the Seattle, Washington area.

It would also depend on how much 'you' want a Red Eye. That always counts in the value of a vintage machine. :-D
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Too much money.
Sorry that was short. I had to run out to take a child somewhere.

I wanted to say more than that.

So, way too much money. Here is an example of a better deal price wise. Although if you are extremely patient, you may find them posted for free.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2524720945.html
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Cathy, Monica, Kathie, and Miriam I loved reading about the good 'ole' days of youth. I spent all my time on a horse or pretending to be a horse! I was not home schooled, but have some great memories of riding the bus into town to go to school, as we lived on a working cattle ranch!

Lee, very nice 99! Those 99s are great little work horses.

Nancy
I was not home schooled either. I can only wish... I was a victim of the public school. I was a full year younger than most of my class. I was a tad bit dyslexic. I was teased for growing a head full of red hair. I was skinny and uncoordinated. I had terrible grades. Then my sister had it worse. AW heck not much has changed...
I wasn't homeschooled either. I remember waiting at the bus stop, riding the bus, antics in school, and being totally bored.
I can't relate to any of this. I grew up in Bangkok, Thailand and attended the International School of Bangkok.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:50 PM

Too much money.
Sorry that was short. I had to run out to take a child somewhere.

I wanted to say more than that.

So, way too much money. Here is an example of a better deal price wise. Although if you are extremely patient, you may find them posted for free.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2524720945.html
She made him an offer within her budget and he accepted it.... :)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:50 PM

Expensive!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
crewsejm, what a cutie machine, but I can see why it might be tough to learn!
Wow!!! Your mom made your baby clothes on that machine??? I'm soooo impressed!!! It's wonderful.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Would anyone have a clue about this machine? It's a 15, I know, but it looks like one of the newer Taiwan ones, but in a bentwood case? This is confusing to me....????

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8330191
Janice that machine is one of the reproductions made in Taichung, Taiwan. They started making the ND to NY machines in 1963, but I'd bet that machine is much newer - like in the 1980's. Those repro's, where they tried to copy the original decals, are kind of gaudy looking. Besides, the machine is not the workmanship/quality of the original.
http://www.servirem.com.ar/nueva.html

Nancy
Nancy, that's what I suspected. There are actually 2 of these on the Goodwill site, one showing the "serial number" and the other not showing it. I looked up the one and saw the "beginning in 1963, but I figured these 2 were much newer than that. I'm not bidding.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Originally Posted by jljack
Would anyone have a clue about this machine? It's a 15, I know, but it looks like one of the newer Taiwan ones, but in a bentwood case? This is confusing to me....????

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8330191
Janice that machine is one of the reproductions made in Taichung, Taiwan. They started making the ND to NY machines in 1963, but I'd bet that machine is much newer - like in the 1980's. Those repro's, where they tried to copy the original
decals, are kind of gaudy looking. Besides, the machine is not the workmanship/quality of the original.
http://www.servirem.com.ar/nueva.html

Nancy

Nancy, I'm confused on this one. I think the "motor number ... E143658" quoted in the ad is a typo and should be "model number". If that's the case then this is a Singer but model numbers starting with "E" have been lost. I think I'll send them an email and ask for verification.

Jan
Jan, no, the NL or whatever it was is the serial number...I don't know what that number on the motor is, but it's not the serial number. The SN is NEVER on the motor, it's always stamped on the machine itself.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236616.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by miriam
Cathy, Monica, Kathie, and Miriam I loved reading about the good 'ole' days of youth. I spent all my time on a horse or pretending to be a horse! I was not home schooled, but have some great memories of riding the bus into town to go to school, as we lived on a working cattle ranch!

Lee, very nice 99! Those 99s are great little work horses.

Nancy
I was not home schooled either. I can only wish... I was a victim of the public school. I was a full year younger than most of my class. I was a tad bit dyslexic. I was teased for growing a head full of red hair. I was skinny and uncoordinated. I had terrible grades. Then my sister had it worse. AW heck not much has changed...
I wasn't homeschooled either. I remember waiting at the bus stop, riding the bus, antics in school, and being totally bored.
I can't relate to any of this. I grew up in Bangkok, Thailand and attended the International School of Bangkok.
COOL!!! That must have been fun and interesting!!! Love to hear stories.