Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Robin, your machine and cabinet are a terrific buy. My husband is making a replica of the cabinet that came with my treadle. Seeing yours makes me really anxious to his finished production. We got the machine head back from the dealer after having it serviced and cleaned. (looking forward, also, to Billy's tutes on cleaning and servicing so I can do the rest of my others machines.)

I hope you and your hubby enjoy using your machine.

;-)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 PM

We love Franky ... but we're (as in my hubby) having to fix the cabinet ... but for what we paid, we're very happy ... I really REALLY want to go back and buy that Alden ... but I am going to wait and see if they drop the price ... I think I've gotten the bug ;)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LoriH
After seeing everyone's machines, I decided to look mine up. I have my Grandma Mary's Singer. The serial number is AG676415, when I looked it up it's a 201 from 1946. I looked at the manual and it looks like it will do alot. I need to see which attachments I have and how to use them.

I also have a Kenmore that belonged to my other Grandama. I can't find any model numbers on it. Any idea's where to look?
That is a fine machine the 201!!!! I am in the process of looking for one now but I want a 201K that has the external motor on it so I can convert it to treadle powered.

The Kenmore model numbers will be on the side of the bed on the front edge. (like if you were sitting in front of it fixing to sew)
The numbers will look something like 148.xxx or 158.xxx and will be stamped on a metal plate.

If you can get me the numbers I can tell you when and who built the machine and the model number of it.

Billy
Old 05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
We love Franky ... but we're (as in my hubby) having to fix the cabinet ... but for what we paid, we're very happy ... I really REALLY want to go back and buy that Alden ... but I am going to wait and see if they drop the price ... I think I've gotten the bug ;)
It doesnt take much to get the bug trust me. Its like my firearms, cars and sewing machines, before you know it you have a house full of them!!

Billy
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm going through cleaning out my sewing stuff and came across an old Domestic Magic Key Buttonhole Worker in its green plastic case. As far as I can tell it is complete, comes with 5 cams and a few other misc pieces that I don't know what they are. If anyone is interested I can take pics. It's FFS or it goes in my garage sale.
Tara
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mama2josh
I'm going through cleaning out my sewing stuff and came across an old Domestic Magic Key Buttonhole Worker in its green plastic case. As far as I can tell it is complete, comes with 5 cams and a few other misc pieces that I don't know what they are. If anyone is interested I can take pics. It's FFS or it goes in my garage sale.
Tara
Post the photos and we can see, I might would be interested in it.

Billy
Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Ok, I jumped in with both feet. Here is the singer 201K, I think, from Japan. Serial on bottom is TA571450PA.
Hello I have some information from the leading expert on Singer sewing machines. Her name is Chrys Gunther and she is hands down the best. I always go to her because she has a lot of the records that Singer no longer has.

Anyway here is her email back to me after showing her photos and discussing a few features about the machine.....

"Billy,

The quickest way to tell the 191 apart from the late style
201 is by the bobbin area. The 191 is a class 15 machine.
The 201 has the drop in bobbin like the model 66 except it's
a rotary machine.

The manual with this machine is for a 191. But it's also
obvious it does not use a drop in bobbin. You can see that
by the open slide plate and bobbin case sitting there.

Chrys"

So now we know it is a 191U and not a 201K. But that does not mean I do not still lust after it!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting these up, but here are the pics of the Domestic Buttonholer. If anyone is interested, you can have it for the cost of shipping.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53269.jpe   attachment-53270.jpe   attachment-53271.jpe  
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM

:roll: :roll: Could this be true? :roll:

I am looking at a nice treadle with a serial number of 6457911. The way it reads (unless I am messed up) on http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html is that numbers from 6.005.000 - 6.524.999 were issued in 1884. The next issues were in 1885.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Looks that way to me Linda! :) That's a half million machines, so the one you're looking at is most likely closer to 1880, but that's still a pretty early machine! Can't wait to see pics of it!