Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Can one by 1x2 size needles? Glenn
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Glenn,
I can't start working on a beautiful cabinet I got a few months ago for quite a while. I think all of your suggestions and insights won't show up when searching here since they were all replies to other things. (At least I think this is what will happen!) Could you possibly make a list of steps to follow if we would want to use shellac or tung oil- just a simple set of guidelines for the newbies for future use?
You are so knowledgeable on this topic, and I hate to see your info get lost in our many pages.
Please give it some consideration!
Cindy
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Glenn,
I can't start working on a beautiful cabinet I got a few months ago for quite a while. I think all of your suggestions and insights won't show up when searching here since they were all replies to other things. (At least I think this is what will happen!) Could you possibly make a list of steps to follow if we would want to use shellac or tung oil- just a simple set of guidelines for the newbies for future use?
You are so knowledgeable on this topic, and I hate to see your info get lost in our many pages.
Cindy
Cindy, Yes I will make a list and post them later. I need to know if you are refinishing (stripping to bare wood) or restoring the original finish. Never mind I will list both methods. Glenn
Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Glenn,
Cindy
Cindy, Yes I will make a list and post them later. I need to know if you are refinishing (stipping to bare wood) or restoring the original finish. Never mind I will list both methods. Glenn
Thanks Glenn, for all who wil be working on cabinets in the future!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Lovely treadle cabinet, with a model 66 in it, advertised in Connecticut Craigslist. I looked up the machine SN and it is a 66 produced in December 1912.
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/atq/2186475451.html
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM

[quote=HisPatchwork]
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
M

Here are some pictures I said I would post.
Beautiful machine!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Nancy I think that Loretta is doing the same quilt. Kathie
Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Can one by 1x2 size needles? Glenn
That's the Davis Long, Boye 10. I don't believe there's a modern equivalent. Class?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 PM

My friend gave me a portable handcrank that someone gave her 20 years ago in England. She has just had it in storage. I was telling her about my treadle and she said she had an old machine she thought I would like, so she gave it to me! It is a SERATA serial #640765. I have been searching and haven't found anything yet. It has a beautiful wooden case with inlays. Not sure where to find info to date it or get parts. {she went to show me the extras inside the sliding wooden drawer and found that the bottom was missing. she has no idea which move it may have been lost in} I will download my pictures later tonight and post them soon.
Here are some pictures I said I would post.
Geeze! I am drooling! I never heard of this machine and now I want one! Did you guys notice the lion?

Nancy
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, now I picture you dancing around your machines! :)
Pretty much. Anyone interested in a nice Two-Spool for $150 or a Jones parlor that is beyond description for $300? If I had the room, the Jones would be mine. Contact me for details. (They're not mine so I'm not plugging them, I just know where they are!!)
I would like to have both, but I will wait to find them here in my neck of the woods! It would be cool to have a Jones treadle since my daughter's married name is Jones.

Nancy