Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Karen
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Karen
I have started cleaning my treadle! It is coming along pretty good, but I would like to know if there is a trick to getting the rust off the hand wheel?! And part of the pretty decals are coming off..is that supposed to do that?

Thanks for the Help!
Karen the decals should be treated very gently so their integrity will not be compromised. But it sounds like the shellac is already worn down so you need to be very careful when cleaning the surface.

There are several ways to cleaning the rust off of the handwheel and plated parts. If you have a battery charger you can clean it off with electrolysis or use vinegar and water solution.

Billy

BIlly,
Thank you. I was afraid of that. Is liquid gold going to be enough to protect the decals. They are so very pretty and I don't want to mess them up any more than they already are! Maybe put on a layer of clear coat? I guess the question really is what can I do to protect them from any more damage.

Is the vingar bath done basically the same as the kerosene bath?

Thanks!
Karen
Be careful with the vinegar. Mix it half and half with water, and soak your parts for an hour...scrub, rinse and check, and then soak again for half an hour to an hour at a time. If you soak too long, the acid in the vinegar will eat the remaining metal and cause irrepairable damage...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny
$55 dollars for 5 needles???? There is a guy on Treadleon who has found a needle that will work in most WW 9's. The vendor is selling these needles at $24 for 50--I think it would be worth trying!! I have not tried them myself as I bought a lifetime supply of 127x1 when I heard they were being phased out. If you're interested, I will send the contact information. I am not endorsing the vendor or the needles, but think they're worth a try.[/quote]

Yes, please I'd like the information! Thank you very much!

Nancy
Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM

[quote=Charlee

The needles you bought should work fine in your 9W... :) The other size to watch for is Boye #18. The number 18 is a style of needle, not the size... :)[/quote]

Thank you Charlee!

Nancy
Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys in the know, I just purchased from e-bay some 127X1 needles for my Singer 9W! The ad read 2 127X1 E HH NOS Vintage Sewing Machine Needles 14 CLOS. The guy says he purchased them 30 years ago and they are made in Holland. They are expensive, so I hope I bought something I can use on my Singer 9W??????????

Nancy
Billy or Charlee (I think) you guys are the experts. I just got an e-mail from the guy that I am purchasing the needles from and he is not sure what machine they work on?

Billy, I know you are going to figure out what needles we can use if we can't get the 127X1 for the Singer 9W, but you also said that we may have to recalibrate the timing or something? I thought if I could find some of the actual needles that would be good -- do you know anything about the ones I just purchased? I am paying 10.99 a piece for the needles and I got 5 of them coming. If I need to stop this purchase, I need to let the e-bay seller know asap.

Thank you as always! I love my Singer 9W and really want to use it to make a quilt!

Nancy
You don't have to retime the machine just time the needle in the holder. The correct needle has the flat spot on them and its a no brainer putting one in. The industrial needles are round shank and you have to make sure that the needle is sitting in the needlebar correctly before taking off and sewing. If your not careful you can hurt the hook assembly and then your looking for a parts machine.

But I think I have found a supplier for the needles and I will sell packs of 10 for around $8 to $10 a pack.

Billy
Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM

If you live in the OR area check this out:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...id=6620536&r=y

I am still looking around my area but these machines were priced more than the 15-90/91s and in a farm area most of what I can find are the less expensive 15s---I have four of them now and I don't have a valid reason for wanting or needing a 201...I just want one...I don't even know why...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Darcene
If you live in the OR area check this out:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...id=6620536&r=y

I am still looking around my area but these machines were priced more than the 15-90/91s and in a farm area most of what I can find are the less expensive 15s---I have four of them now and I don't have a valid reason for wanting or needing a 201...I just want one...I don't even know why...
Thanks for posting. Maybe some one in OR will want one. They seem very nice and have a little more throat space from what I understand.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by buslady
Been reading this forum for 2 days, I find it fascinating! Went to a "garage sale trail" last Friday and bought an old sewing machine. Don't know where to go to get some info on it. It is a Viking 33-10 Serial # E334982S. Any leads as to where I can look>?
been out of town all week, cant find a reply, so reposting. hoping someone might be able to help. thanks
You might try here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...guid=151977699
Thank you, I signed up for that group and will see if they are helpful. I didn't realize this group was only for Singer machines.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Thank you, I signed up for that group and will see if they are helpful. I didn't realize this group was only for Singer machines.
Oh we are not only Singer, we talk about everything here. I am sure just pointing you to another resource.

Come back and visit and share what you learn. :-D
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

Oh we are not only Singer, we talk about everything here. I am sure just pointing you to another resource.

Come back and visit and share what you learn. :-D
Yes, please share. We have people using all types of machines here. Just not as knowledgable about some. Most of us are learning as we go on this. :lol:
Old 08-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Been reading this forum for 2 days, I find it fascinating! Went to a "garage sale trail" last Friday and bought an old sewing machine. Don't know where to go to get some info on it. It is a Viking 33-10 Serial # E334982S. Any leads as to where I can look>?
been out of town all week, cant find a reply, so reposting. hoping someone might be able to help. thanks
You might try here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...guid=151977699
Oh no, we are not only for Singers here....I have learned a lot about so many machines that I never knew existed...we welcome you to "show, tell and learn" with us....please stay around and help to educate us...if we don't share what knowledge we have it will be lost to others who follow us...if someone posts another site in response to a question that is asked by someone who is seeking help it is not that anyone is not welcome here, it is just another opportunity to learn more about these machines that we all love so much.....please feel welcome to pull up a chair and share the adventure with us....