Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?
I have one in the Studio but I havent had time to play with it yet. So no opinion here but I have a buddy that loves his 328.

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nothing but glowing reviews there, but here's another opinion:
Bill Holman who runs the VintageSingers group at Yahoogroups, absolutely hates that machine. He is an old Singer man from way back... He says it was designed poorly with no way to adjust the hook closer to the needle for sewing on fine things like knits and lingerie. So they skip sts on lightweight fabrics. He said he'd seen people bringing them in for repair for that reason, for years, and there was no way to fix it except that they bought an aftermarket "knit kit" to be installed. He felt the kit should have been done as a recall, not make people pay for it to make the machine work as it should have in the first place. He also said the motor on those was "akin to a hamster in a cage."

I have no dog in this fight, don't own a 328. I just wanted to pass along another opinion to consider, since you asked. :-)
And I thank you kindly, Sewbizgirl. Wow, very interesting OMG (old machine guy) info/view. I checked on ebay, saw that there were not a whole lot of them out there, only 3, ranging from $50 to $300. A set of 31 cams for the machine costs $80, or $8-$10 a piece. Makes me wonder if the reason there are not so many of them 'out there' is simply because they've been trashed much more frequently than the old vintage ones. Funny, I belong to the vintage singer yahoo group, and never seem to get answers to questions on there.. lol. I'll go hunt them up some...

But for now, and speaking of dogs, I think I will let this 'sleeping dog' lie. I only have room for so many machines, I want them to be the right ones. If anyone ELSE on this thread wants the machine, I'll go get it/hold it for you. It's at the Salvation Army Thrift Store on Military Trail, W. Palm Beach, FLorida.

Thanks all...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Just wish I could on get here when the muffins are still warm and the coffee hot! Play is definitely more fun than work....
Cindy
I agree with you play is more fun and we all love to talk about old machines and yes we do learn a lot. However I seem to spend way to much time here and not getting anything done like quilting or cleaning my many machines,or getting my honey do's done.(I have found my wife lurking around the board several times) :lol: Glenn
Well Glenn isn't it nice to be able to share all these post with your better half? Hubby and I sit here every night a get caught up on what everyone has written. He likes these old ladies (machines) as much as I do. So have fun while you are learning.
Glenn, I have a quilt that I'm calling the never ending quilt, between reading this thread, researching on machines, and other small projects that come up this quilt is taking forever.

My husband also has started to take an interest in my chatting here and has enjoyed some of the conversations. He couldn't believe someone was selling an old machine for $3000. He thinks it is way cool that I have this new hobby and that I'm using the machines too. While watching tv last night, I did some piecing on the 201 that sits behind the living room sofa. Since that machine and treadle are so quiet, he didn't mind. He said with a huge smile, " I like it that you are here with me...nice an cozy".
And he said, "Maybe you can find a treadle for the bathroom too." lol
Well, I've been in upscale hotels that had TV in the bathroom. Why not a sewing machine? You could multi task!!! LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM

[Billy[/quote]

quote]

I have to get a few customers machines out of the way before I do anything else to it. Then I have a 1940 Ford Coupe sitting in my garage ready for a bunch of body work and paint so I will be busy with everyone elses stuff for a while. But I am not complaining at all. I can work my stuff in as I do everything else. :wink:

Billy[/quote]

My DH loves the old cars. He used to build drag racers. He is hoping to get his new shop up and going this year.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
Looks like a 101 to me. Those dinky handwheels,lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Vintagemotif,
My 201K was originally a hand crank brought over from England, I bought it in 2007. After winding the 1st bobbin, I put it in the Singer straight leg treadle cabinet and have treadled it ever since.
My granddaughters have been using it as a hand crank as they learn to sew. They like the control they have.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomilu
My DH loves the old cars. He used to build drag racers. He is hoping to get his new shop up and going this year.
I am trying my best to get away from working on cars and painting them but I cant turn down good money. But it takes so much work to get one straight enough to paint. This one is a solid Colorado car and already has been blown apart and soda blasted but it still needs some panels made and some custom touches done to the body. And he wants it all in lead which is good for me because I hate bondo. :lol:

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Just got back from getting the machine. It even works. Not in bad condition at all. Kinda a cutey.. Wiring is a little scary..needs to be rewired.or just shorten it where it joins up ..at the connection you can see some bare wires. Itsa cutey.. Nice stitch on it. Now I have to read back and see if anyone knows what it is.. I am soo tired of carrying in heavy cabinets.. I don't think it is original to the machine..surely could be wrong..I think the singer is prob from the 50's?? ha.. Ok have to feed the pup and do a few things..then coming back to see if anyone knows what it is..
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
I do not know how old it is, but, I say it is a keeper. Kathie
Old 02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Just got back from getting the machine. It even works. Not in bad condition at all. Kinda a cutey.. Wiring is a little scary..needs to be rewired.or just shorten it where it joins up ..at the connection you can see some bare wires. Itsa cutey.. Nice stitch on it. Now I have to read back and see if anyone knows what it is.. I am soo tired of carrying in heavy cabinets.. I don't think it is original to the machine..surely could be wrong..I think the singer is prob from the 50's?? ha.. Ok have to feed the pup and do a few things..then coming back to see if anyone knows what it is..
You have a 101..... I should have a book on it if you need it.

Billy