Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by buslady
My DH spent the afternoon taking bobbin area apart on my FW, when i got home from work he was anxious for me to test it, he DID find fuzz & thread trrapped. When i tried it out, the needle hits something, sooooo tomorrow hes gonna see what he put back wrong. he plays eucre on Mon nites. poor sole, he tries so hard!
This is probably the problem and it's easily fixed:
http://www.april1930s.com/html/bobbi...___needle.html
Yes, the one thing about the FW is that you have to make sure the little arm of the bobbin case in between the slot in the throat plate!

Nancy
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I just got an estimate for refinishing my cabinet for my 66. They want over $2000. Way out of my price range. Kathie
Geeze, maybe you better just find one really good treadle with the cabinet in good shape - they are out there - and just enjoy looking at the others! Anyway, isn't your 27's cabinet in good shape? Just clean up the other cabinets as best you can and just enjoy them!

Nancy
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Patrick,
That is a beautiful machine. The decals look really good and it's the fiddlebase. . . .You got a steal for the bucks!!Congratulations.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Here is a picture of my recently purchased Singer 27. I got it for $25 and have spent some more for a new belt and attachments. I am looking for some trim for around the treadle belt openings and a wood dowel for the bigger spools of thread on the back of the top. I also am in need of one lock for the draws. Would be willing to buy another set of draws as the tracks are worn badly.
Any help would be great, Thanks Patrick.
Patrick do you realize what you have found? That is a fiddle base pre 1900 machine! What is the serial number?

Geeze, that machine looks great for being over 120 years old - I bet it is that old any way!

Congratulations!

Nancy
Nancy is right Patrick you have a nice antique here. Billy and Nancy can help you with the machine and I will be glad to help you restore the cabinet. Please keep it as original as you can. Once cleaned up it will be a great machine to sew on. Glenn
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tomilu
Treasure in treadle drawer. This little oil can is so cute. DH used Kroil and got it open for me. It is just 3.5" tall opened.
I also found one (little different style) in the cabinet my 66 came in. I felt so lucky! :-D
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Here is a picture of my recently purchased Singer 27. I got it for $25 and have spent some more for a new belt and attachments. I am looking for some trim for around the treadle belt openings and a wood dowel for the bigger spools of thread on the back of the top. I also am in need of one lock for the draws. Would be willing to buy another set of draws as the tracks are worn badly.
Patrick do you realize what you have found? That is a fiddle base pre 1900 machine! What is the serial number?

Geeze, that machine looks great for being over 120 years old - I bet it is that old any way!

Congratulations!

Nancy

Nancy, The serial number is 10158844 and I looked it up on Singers site. It was made in 1891.

As for the draws the end of the tracks are worn back a bit and not sharp so the draws go back a bit more than they are suppose to. Two draws are missing the wire on top. The center draw between the two sets of draws the track is worn at the ends, they taper in. I was going to make what I have to to restore there use or get some better parts just to have it work correctly. I am going to re glue the veneer on top and the top where it is coming off. I have found a full set of attachments that cost well over the machine but I felt they were worth it with an early 1900s set of manuals.
The brass bezels go around the opening for the belt, I got some but would require opening the holes a bit bigger. I would prefer to find originals. This is a new venture for me but some patience will pay off to have a fine piece of history I can use to make some new history with.
Thanks Patrick
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM

I just got an estimate for refinishing my cabinet for my 66. They want over $2000. Way out of my price range. Kathie
HOLY COW! You should just do it yourself, it takes time and patience, but not a difficult process by any means. you might even enjoy it LOL
I can not be around any chemicals due to my lungs. Even household paint brothers me. Kathie
I'm sorry, that was insencitive of me, wish i were close to u, i'd help u out. Hopefully u will find someone more reasonable priced. good luck.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Nice looking VS II! That particular decal (Victorian) seems to wear worse than some of the others--yours appear to be in good condition.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM

HOLY COW! You should just do it yourself, it takes time and patience, but not a difficult process by any means. you might even enjoy it LOL
I can not be around any chemicals due to my lungs. Even household paint brothers me. Kathie
I'm sorry, that was insencitive of me, wish i were close to u, i'd help u out. Hopefully u will find someone more reasonable priced. good luck.
You were not being insencitive at all. My mother suggested that I call the local high schools to see if they
have a wood working shop that could do the work. I do not think that I would trust them. Kathie
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
My DH spent the afternoon taking bobbin area apart on my FW, when i got home from work he was anxious for me to test it, he DID find fuzz & thread trrapped. When i tried it out, the needle hits something, sooooo tomorrow hes gonna see what he put back wrong. he plays eucre on Mon nites. poor sole, he tries so hard!
This is probably the problem and it's easily fixed:
http://www.april1930s.com/html/bobbi...___needle.html
Yes, the one thing about the FW is that you have to make sure the little arm of the bobbin case in between the slot in the throat plate!

Nancy
that was the booboo the first time i cleaned and oiled, so i knew that one. this is different, its like the part that spins when u sew is in the wrong position when the needle comes down. the space is a quarter turn right when the needle gets to it and it hits the spinning thing. DH is pretty good with this kind of thing and he will look at my other FW for compar