Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
If a person wanted to do some hand painting on an old machine, what kind of paint would anybody suggest? And would a spray clear coat be a good enough protectant after the painting was done? TIA
I would use an enamel and a clear coat would be the perfect thing for it.

Billy
Thanks, Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Billy,
If you are coughing alot rub vicks on the bottom of your feet put socks on go to bed ,you won't cough. My husband had this for almost 2 months and finally tried the vicks two nights in a row and has been getting a good nights sleep. He doesn't even cough anymore.

Good Luck

Suzy
I will try this tonite, sounds crazy but I am willing to try anything.

Billy
It is not crazy...it works! I told my Dr. friend about it. She was having some sleepless nights with her young son and had tried everything. Next time I saw her, she told me that it really did the the trick...no more coughing!
I came in around the 400's I think. I went back and started reading from page 1. I got to around 40 or so and stopped. I have keeped up with the posts from where I came in, but haven't finished the earlier ones I missed. I too, wish I would have kept some notes along the way...especially noting the pages where all the machines were listed and info for them.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
I have a 301a that I recently received and need to change out the bottom rubber feet cushions and as well the bobbin winder tire, too. Any tutes or info available on how to do that?

I see there's a need for a straight screwdriver inside the rubber feet cushions, but mine aren't budging. Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance,

Karla
Just make sure it is a good screw driver that fits the slot properly and it will come out. So many times folks use the wrong tool for the job. The bobbin tire will just roll off of the wheel and you put it on the same way it came off.

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well you guys I want to post pictures again of my Wilcox and Gibbs now that my DH got the coffin top finished! DH also sandblasted the little machine (very lightly with very fine sand) table and look at the difference. Now we can read everything on that little table including the date of 1883!

Can you all tell I love this cabinet and machine now that DH re-did all of it!
I really love your treadle!!! Some people are appalled when they see a cabinet painted like yours but truth be known the paint will protect the wood that is under there and you have a gorgeous cabinet after it is stripped and redone.

Let him know he did an excellent job repairing and refinishing your W&G!

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

ETA: My 1/4" foot (P60617) slant shank is also w/in 1/16th" on test strips, too. My foot has a little wiggle in it that I think might account for that. Does yours wiggle at all?

Thanks, :D
Yeah, it wiggles. And the wiggle sets it right outside the 1/4" mark on my faceplate :cry: . I even tried bending the little metal piece but that doesn't seem to do any good. As soon as I put it back on the "bend" just makes it sit funny and it still wiggles around and sits outside the faceplate mark.

I CAN bump one finger against it while I sew and that holds it in place. Not ideal, but it'll work for now.

Mine is a generic foot that i bought from April30's (?). May have to invest in the alphasew foot, but they look 'almost' identical. I'm getting that screw in seam guide this week also, so it may prove to be what I want.

I discovered the foot I use on my Brother machine is really a blind hem foot! It has a spring/screw for me to move the guage left or right and I can set it precisely where I want it. I keep it at a scant 1/4" because apparantly thats what my Accuquilt Go blocks like. I have 2-3 different 1/4" with it and dislike something about all of them :roll: (it's just me I guess...lol)

Thanks for your help.
Hmm, I can't see a wiggly 1/4" foot working for me. I need those accurate 1/4" seams. Guess I'll be returning that 1/4" foot. Thanks for the tip on the blind hem foot, I'll check mine out on my other machine.

On my Bernina, I use #13, Straight Stitch foot with the quilting quide for an accurate 1/4" or even a scant 1/4" inch since the guide can be placed wherever you wish. But this Singer 301 is a whole new game for me as I'm brand new to vintage Singers and would love to quilt with them.

So for now, guess I'll stick with the seam guide. I ordered both the Singer and a universal one, and I have to say that I prefer the Singer one for a couple of reasons. The thumbscrew has a nice plastic fitting built in that snugs up against the bed of the machine and the seam guide part that sits on your 1/4" or whatever seems nicer. I think there might've been a dollar difference in the two, the Singer being slightly higher in price.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated. :thumbup:
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM

I really love your treadle!!! Some people are appalled when they see a cabinet painted like yours but truth be known the paint will protect the wood that is under there and you have a gorgeous cabinet after it is stripped and redone.

Let him know he did an excellent job repairing and refinishing your W&G!

Billy
Thank you Billy, I will tell him what you said. I am not so sure I'd want to take on a cabinet that had been painted black and primed white again, though. It took several cans of stripper, scrapers, a tooth brush, razor blades, steel wool, lots of work to get all that paint off -- but, well worth it for this cabinet. I really don't think we'd do it again, but we both love this cabinet and machine now.

Are you any better?

Nancy
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM

I have a 301a that I recently received and need to change out the bottom rubber feet cushions and as well the bobbin winder tire, too. Any tutes or info available on how to do that?

I see there's a need for a straight screwdriver inside the rubber feet cushions, but mine aren't budging. Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance,

Karla
Just make sure it is a good screw driver that fits the slot properly and it will come out. So many times folks use the wrong tool for the job. The bobbin tire will just roll off of the wheel and you put it on the same way it came off.

Billy
Hi Billy,

Thanks for the tip. With a better screwdriver, and finally using a pliers for extra torque, we got 'em. :thumbup: What was left of the very brittle feet just crumbled once we got the screwdriver underneath the bottom of the feet.

Thanks again,

Karla
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM

Can you tell me where Bikini Bottom is, I think I have heard of it, but not sure if it is the same one. Thanks and thanks for
all your help. I just took my treadle machine to have it cleaned and get it running so I can do my five I Spy quilts on it. It is the one I learned to sew on 47 years ago, so I am quite excited.

Hello everyone!!!

I just want to say that since I have become a member in this community I have felt very welcome and honored to be able to get to know you all and I have met some really wonderful people and have made quite a few friends!!

Everyone here by now knows that I love old machines especially treadles and somehow you guys find me the go to guy for answers to you questions.

Every day I hop on to see what is going on and I have tons of PM's in my folder waiting on me to help out with your vintage machines. I am NOT complaining a drop, believe me I really appreciate the fact that you respect me enough to want to ask your questions and I REALLY enjoy helping you all out. Plus I get to see some really neat machines that you guys own!!!! ;)

Now I am far from an expert by no means, but you know I will do everything I can to find the answers for you or point you to someone who does know the answers. I have tons of records, manuals and parts list stored on my HD plus the stacks of factory documents sitting in front of me that could help a lot of us out with our machines.

SO...........I am going to do a PDA just for asking questions, posting photos and just a nice place to hang out, but if it really takes off who knows the administrator might set up a corner just for the vintage machines.

But I was thinking that if we had a special area to go to ask questions and post photos it might would help some else that may have the same question. To me there is nothing more special that to make a quilt on a vintage machine.

So if you like Vintage machines and you want to come to the shop and hang out with us then feel free to do so!!!

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDsQ8wIwAg#

I thought they were Janomes. The machines were in new oak cabinets. Treadleon says Janome doesn't make a cabinet, but the community has a furniture factory so making a cabinet would be no problem. My daughter just had her hickory kitchen cabinets made by that community.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Hi everyone, the serial number on my treadle is G9939810, can someone tell me something about it. I don't have it here to take a picture.