Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by squilter
Duh, I should have known that, my g-son watches Spongebob non-stop when he is here.....I live in the Missouri Bootheel.

Thanks for information on machine, so it's not a rare one or anything?
No it is a very common machine, in fact it was one of Singer's more popular models. There were 8,906,297 of those machines produced from 1902 to 1956.

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by Deara
Originally Posted by jtapp9
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi,

You're quite welcome. She ships fast, too. Got my mini shopping spree in about three days clear across the country. She's even returned my phone calls and emails very promptly, even from home after hours. Great customer service! :thumbup:

OMG I know!!!! She has already shipped it!!! That's in like an hour! :shock:

I have purchased from her before too. She shipped before I paid her. Such a trusting lady. Her customer service is the best I have run across on the web.

Blessings,
Sandi
Does she have "stuff" for all brands or just Singer? If sew, would you post her link again, I have a few "needs". He He!!
YES!! I saw presser feet for all shank sizes, including Kenmore. All kinds of parts, etc. for many machines and universal parts, too. I see there was already a link given below. Have fun shopping. :lol:
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
It is hard work but you and your hubby showed that if you can do it anyone can. Glenn
Glenn, boy is that the truth -- if we could do it any of you can do it too! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Now, if I can only get DH to help me re-do the veneer on my Davis Vertical Feed from 1886, my Singer VS 2 from 1889, and my 1913 Singer Sphinx cabinet! Glenn any secrets we need to know? We already got the veneer.

Nancy

Oh and thank you guys again on your compliments on the cabinet. I read them to Hubby!
It depends on how much veneer you need to replace. If it is small areas that need to be replace, there is a technique for this. If it is a large area such as a complete top replacement that is another technique. And then if you are restoring and want to maintain the antique value then there is another technique using hyde glue in a hot glue pot( you really don't need a glue I can show you how to to this in a mason jar). Basically you cut out the bad, clean the area, cut a new piece to fit and glue in with hyde glue, contact cement or any good cabinet makers glue like weldwood. You Know the yellow wood glue, brand is not important. You can post a picture of the cabinet and I will be able to help you thru it. Glenn
Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I just saw this machine on eBay....I have looked and Googled and I can't find a reference to it. It says Free Westinghouse. Anyone know anything about this one?
Hi, I have one of these...i think! I have a Portman that looks exactly like this, it has a case that opens up and slides around the freearm to make a flat sewing surface, similar to some of the vintage Elnas. The Portman was made by the Portman Sewing Machine Company and the company eventually folded. I think I've seen references to these machines in reference to being competitors to the Singer 221, but we all know which machine survived.
Maybe Free-Westinghouse either badged this one or perhaps the were the ones who bought Portman when it was foundering.

It's a cute machine, and sews nicely. The handwheel at the bottom is different, and I get a little mixed up when I sew with it until I get my brain reoriented, as then still reach up when i want the handwheel!
Jane
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM

It depends on how much veneer you need to replace. If it is small areas that need to be replace, there is a technique for this. If it is a large area such as a complete top replacement that is another technique. And then if you are restoring and want to maintain the antique value then there is another technique using hyde glue in a hot glue pot( you really don't need a glue I can show you how to to this in a mason jar). Basically you cut out the bad, clean the area, cut a new piece to fit and glue in with hyde glue, contact cement or any good cabinet makers glue like weldwood. You Know the yellow wood glue, brand is not important. You can post a picture of the cabinet and I will be able to help you thru it. Glenn
Glenn, I am so wanting to learn how to do this and would love for you to coach me through the process when the weather is a little more suitable here in Ohio! Thank you for sharing :)
Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Glenn, I am so wanting to learn how to do this and would love for you to coach me through the process when the weather is a little more suitable here in Ohio! Thank you for sharing :)
It would be my pleasure Kitzone. Just post when you are ready or PM me. Glenn
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Hey, everyone!
Got the bug! Just picked up my first treadle today. A 127 Sphinx in a cabinet...but boy, there must be a learning curve on treadling. I was a mess trying it out. No photos yet and I have a quilt getaway so won't be home for a few days. (I'm hoping DH finds a good place for it in the house while I'm gone).
Will keep you posted!
lots2do
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM

If anyone has any experience navigating PayPal disputes/claims over a sewing machine that was said to be functioning properly by the Seller, but once received does not, would they please PM me?

Thanks,
Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lots2do
Hey, everyone!
Got the bug! Just picked up my first treadle today. A 127 Sphinx in a cabinet...but boy, there must be a learning curve on treadling. I was a mess trying it out. No photos yet and I have a quilt getaway so won't be home for a few days. (I'm hoping DH finds a good place for it in the house while I'm gone).
Will keep you posted!
lots2do
Congratulations!!!! Cant wait to see the photos and learn of your progress with the learning curve. :-D

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
No it is a very common machine, in fact it was one of Singer's more popular models. There were 8,906,297 of those machines produced from 1902 to 1956.

Billy
The 66? It was made up until 1956? Wow... that's later than I thought. Is there any other Singer model that had a production run that long? I guess when you have a winner, why change it.