Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Any opinions on this machine????

http://jackson.craigslist.org/fuo/2453855330.html
my 2 cents is wait for a Singer 401 or 403 with a full set of disks if you want the fancy stitches - they were top of the line precision machines and so will be your stitching
Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Charlee
So M'friends....what's your opinion on this one? Should I pick it up for $50?
Charlee, I love those Martha Washington cabinets...I learned to sew on a Singer in one of those cabinets. I don't remember the machine, and neither does my mom. But I remember that cabinet....we kids used to hide stuff from each other in those deep side compartments!! Sweet memories!! :-) If you don't want that cabinet I'll take it!!
I have my 99K13 sitting on top of a cherry Martha Washington sewing cabinet - I didn't know they made them to hold sewing machines. Mine is all drawers - I'd love a cabinet for a sewing machine like that! (And I do stuff lots of stuff from my dining room in those deep side pockets!)
There is a sewing cabinet like it on CL in Indianapolis if anybody is driving by...
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jljack
So M'friends....what's your opinion on this one? Should I pick it up for $50?
Charlee, I love those Martha Washington cabinets...I learned to sew on a Singer in one of those cabinets. I don't remember the machine, and neither does my mom. But I remember that cabinet....we kids used to hide stuff from each other in those deep side compartments!! Sweet memories!! :-) If you don't want that cabinet I'll take it!!
I have my 99K13 sitting on top of a cherry Martha Washington sewing cabinet - I didn't know they made them to hold sewing machines. Mine is all drawers - I'd love a cabinet for a sewing machine like that! (And I do stuff lots of stuff from my dining room in those deep side pockets!)
There is a sewing cabinet like it on CL in Indianapolis if anybody is driving by...
I'd love to be driving by! I'd love to have the sewing chest to match the cabinet...what are they asking for it Miriam? I saw one here not long ago, but they wanted $300 for it!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
Is there a WRONG reason to buy a machine? :lol: I think she's pretty!
I have two pink Japanese clones, an Atlas that is a baby pink, and a Monarch that is more a salmon color, but both have their original matching pink foot controls. Both drop the feed dogs and sew like a dream. Fast and straight.
Melinda I have its sister in the sale section right now, Its a Brother "Windomatic" with all of its accessories and case with the original tins and boxes. It was badged for the Atlas Company in Florida and sews like a dream!

Billy
My Atlas has a different profile, for lack of a better word. But I still like it. S119462 is the serial number on mine.
My Atlas looks like yours and sew really well. Bobbie
Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm taken a break from assembling that free cabinet and treadle that I picked up over a month ago. So, I decided to post some pictures of the recently finished quilt that will be heading to a victim of the Joplin, MO disaster. My neighbor knows of a person that lost everything. Remember, I was given a Touch and Sew in a very nice cabinet for free (from the same neighbor). I recently sold that machine (I think the gal picking up the machine was only interested in the cabinet). Well, the money from that sell went into making this quilt. The pattern is the 'Plain Spoken", and every time I look at this quilt the song "Somewhere Over a Rainbow" comes to mind. This quilt was made using the Eldredge Two Spools for piecing, Singer 201 for quilting, Davis NVF for binding, and Singe 328 for decorative binding stitch for finishing off the quilt. I love recycling and pay it forward!
Monica, how sweet it is that you made this quilt! I love the colors and the way you attached the back of the binding! I can't tell by the picture how you quilted the quilt? Is it stitch in the ditch? That quilt looks huge! All done with treadles - how cool is that!!!!

Nancy
Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Okay! here are pictures. :D

The picture for the shuttle area was not good, so will be posted later.
I have a quick question:
If I read all of the pages in this particular thread, will I be able to learn more about loading shuttles and how they work? <wave>
Omak, that is a really neat looking machine. Reminds me of a dinosaur!

Nancy
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
This was on CL in the free stuff. Serial # TX 235577 is under the front shuttle plate. The name on the arm is 'Our Special'. Was missing the power cord, controller is knee type behind the front door. Still had the shuttle and one bobbin in it. The bobbin is about 1/4 inch longer that a singer. The power plugs in under the back of the cabinet and is recessed into the bottom side. It seems to be about 1/2 to 3/4 size of my 66. Started cleaning it today, you can peal the scrum(I think smoke residue) off with your fingernail.
Lee231, what a neat find! I love the shape of the machine and the decals are really pretty too! Geeze, I wouldn't have hesitated about taking that machine -- and for free -- how cool is that!

Nancy

Ok looking at White's badged machines, the White Mason line had a machine called "N & B Special." The letter before the "Special" on your machine could be a 'B' from the picture? Of course, you can tell better by looking at the machine? The Mason line that White made also had a 'Summer's Special,' and a 'Tom's Special.'

White also had a 'Sanders Special,' and a 'Rotary Special.'
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Love your quilt Nancy, the colours are really nice and that's something because usually I don't like anything blue.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, thank you! You probably like it because it is not just blue - there are a lot of colors in that little quilt! The last two quilts I have done are blue, which is kinda funny as nothing in my house is blue!

Nancy
Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
What about making a quilt of the machines you own? The blocks could be embroidered or appliqued and have the machine name and other details underneath.

This is a quilt I made depicting Famous Sailing Ships, my 9yo DGD has it at the moment for 'show and tell' at school for their history studies. Since making this quilt I've bought fabric to make another one with First Fleet Ships but this is the style I was thinking about but featuring your machine collection.

You will notice in the first quilt photo it was tied, it was experimental and I didn't really like it then when I bought a HandiQuilter Frame it was one of the first projects....a bit backwards in that the binding and border quilting had already been done, but it worked OK.

The small table the Minerva Hand Crank sits one was this week's project and has now been restored, the little drawer has some old darning wool, hooks and eyes, crochet thread and a packet of needles as this was a table my MIL used as her sewing table and from memory she must have had a Singer 99 because I remember it was smaller than my mother's Singer.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, so can we see the machine in that cabinet? The cabinet is really cute.

I love the way you did the quilt, yes it looks much better with all the stippling -- makes those ships looks like you did them in trapunto! To do that technique with our sewing machines pictured and a little description would be so cool! We'd all have to pick our very favorites, the ones we actually use or that have special meaning because we are forever adding to our collections.

Nancy
Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
Is there a WRONG reason to buy a machine? :lol: I think she's pretty!
I have two pink Japanese clones, an Atlas that is a baby pink, and a Monarch that is more a salmon color, but both have their original matching pink foot controls. Both drop the feed dogs and sew like a dream. Fast and straight.
Melinda I have its sister in the sale section right now, Its a Brother "Windomatic" with all of its accessories and case with the original tins and boxes. It was badged for the Atlas Company in Florida and sews like a dream!

Billy
My Atlas has a different profile, for lack of a better word. But I still like it. S119462 is the serial number on mine.
My Atlas looks like yours and sew really well. Bobbie
I know. I saw yours on the photo thread.