Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Ok, know this is a stupid question but since I don't have a manual for my (new to me) Singer 28, I have a question. First, is it suppose to have a foot pedal? There's a place in the Bentwood top for what looks like a foot pedal. I do have the metal bar that fits into the hole on the bottom of the case.

I am also missing the power cord. Does anyone out there have a power cord for the Singer 28? And, I also need a manual...free pdf is fine with me.

Thanks for the help!!
Nana, here's your manual:
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/268_27_28.pdf

Your machine doesn't have a foot pedal, the bar that sticks into the front of the base is a knee lever. You just press your knee against it to run the machine.

I don't have a 28 YET...(maybe tomorrow!! :D ) what does the plug for the power cord look like? I may have an extra...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I'll try to free her from the cabinet base tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Texas Jan
That is going to be a beautiful machine after you get it cleaned up. Be sure and send us some pictures. Kathie
Will do, but it will be awhile. Gotta cool down before I can even kerosene her.

Texas Jan[/quote]

Lovely machine!

I feel you on the kerosene--I went out on Monday evening (it was only 102 here that day :) ) and did some de-gunking. I just didn't have the patience to wait another week. Shall we say I looked less than ladylike after that??
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by miriam

I would get some penetrating oil from below (turn her upside down - be very careful of your paint though. Then I would try heat on that screw. DH has more strength than I do for that. He had to drill one out with some special kind of tool once. I stayed out of his way... I usually use a screw driver tip from out of the kind that stores in the handle and a tiny wrench to get those off - I used to have a long screw driver ground at a slight angle worked pretty good - it was stolen a while back... It is very hard sometimes to get that screw out because of the angle you have to work at. I'd hate to see the repair bill just getting that screw out.... and I'd hate to hear somebody talking to that machine...

When you lift the lid what do you see the shuttle doing? You said you got thread out. Is the notch in it's right place or is it spinning around under there? You did say it turned nice. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ght-manual.pdf look at the info on page 12. It has a great photo of how it is suppose to look. I realize it is a FW but they look about the same. If it is not set like that it could be your problem. But you still have to get the plate off and reset the notch if that is what is wrong.
OK, yes, I'll try again tonite since the WD40 will have been on for 24 hours. The finger is in the notch correctly. I just can't see what's happening, because I can't get the throat plate off!! LOL Catch-22 here!! I even have the bobbin holder out, and I still can't see what's going on. I was prepared to take everything apart last night, and then I had that stupid screw stuck in there!! I took the oil cover off the bottom and looked up there with a flashlight, and that's how I saw the thread wrapped around. I used my handy little seam ripper and got out what I could see.

Phyllis, when I turn the handwheel the needle bar does move up and down, but the needle won't go down the throat. It's hitting on something that I can't see. That's where the problem is. When I asked if it could be out of time, everyone thought that was doubtful. So..... OK, Round 2 tonite!!!\

Well, GREAT NEWS!!! I found more old, oily dark thread wrapped around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and after I got it out, it worked perfectly!!! She sews great. Here she is...you'll see she has some bumps and bruises, just like me!! :-) I'm a happy girl!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226630.jpe   attachment-226631.jpe  
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm guessing you already have this, but just in case:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...viceman-1.html

I remember taking the whole bobbin assembly out of my machine one time to check for threads behind it, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I know I didn't have to retime it or anything afterwards.

OK, I have a big problem. Further to my problem of the needle won't go down the throat on my FW, I cannot get one of the throat plate screws loose. It's like it's glued in place. It's the front one, so of course, hard to get a good sized screwdriver on it. I put some WD40 around the edge of the screw, and I tried for 20 minutes to get it out. Not a budge!!! I am soooo frustrated with it. The rear screw came right out. From the bottom I was able to see some very old thick thread wound around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and I think I got it all out. But the needle still won't go down.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I'm kinda mad at myself for not verifying that it was operational before I bought it. The handwheel turns fine until you put a needle in...which it did not have in when I bought it. My own fault. But at this point I just want her working.
Thanks, Johnny!!! See above....I got the nasty old thread wad out, and now she works like a charm!!! I didn't even have to fuss getting that screw out for now, but I will eventually so I can clean it really good. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I just had to keep looking up her skirt to find the offending mess!! :-)
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm guessing you already have this, but just in case:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...viceman-1.html

I remember taking the whole bobbin assembly out of my machine one time to check for threads behind it, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I know I didn't have to retime it or anything afterwards.

OK, I have a big problem. Further to my problem of the needle won't go down the throat on my FW, I cannot get one of the throat plate screws loose. It's like it's glued in place. It's the front one, so of course, hard to get a good sized screwdriver on it. I put some WD40 around the edge of the screw, and I tried for 20 minutes to get it out. Not a budge!!! I am soooo frustrated with it. The rear screw came right out. From the bottom I was able to see some very old thick thread wound around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and I think I got it all out. But the needle still won't go down.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I'm kinda mad at myself for not verifying that it was operational before I bought it. The handwheel turns fine until you put a needle in...which it did not have in when I bought it. My own fault. But at this point I just want her working.
Thanks, Johnny!!! See above....I got the nasty old thread wad out, and now she works like a charm!!! I didn't even have to fuss getting that screw out for now, but I will eventually so I can clean it really good. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I just had to keep looking up her skirt to find the offending mess!! :-)
Its amazing how much thread can get wrapped around the bobbin base. I'm so happy that you got her all well and sewing!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Ok, know this is a stupid question but since I don't have a manual for my (new to me) Singer 28, I have a question. First, is it suppose to have a foot pedal? There's a place in the Bentwood top for what looks like a foot pedal. I do have the metal bar that fits into the hole on the bottom of the case.

I am also missing the power cord. Does anyone out there have a power cord for the Singer 28? And, I also need a manual...free pdf is fine with me.

Thanks for the help!!
Nana, here's your manual:
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/268_27_28.pdf

Your machine doesn't have a foot pedal, the bar that sticks into the front of the base is a knee lever. You just press your knee against it to run the machine.

I don't have a 28 YET...(maybe tomorrow!! :D ) what does the plug for the power cord look like? I may have an extra...
Thanks, Charlee, I typed in the wrong #. It is a 128. I'll find a pic of the power cord and PM you with it. Got everything put up for tonight. Oh I also need the shuttle bobbin. Otherwise I'll be in good shape (for a start!)
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs
There is a Rocketeer on CL in the Pac NW (Everett) for $10 with quite a few attachments.

Oh...not to drive thru hellish traffic on a Friday. If it's there Sat....maybe
'hellish traffic on a Friday' is a kind way of putting it! I used to live in the Seattle area and remember trying to head north through Everett on I-5 on Fridays for my son's soccer tournaments in Bellingham. Traffic hardly moved. Hope they hold it for you. :-D
Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I'll try to free her from the cabinet base tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Texas Jan
That is going to be a beautiful machine after you get it cleaned up. Be sure and send us some pictures. Kathie
Will do, but it will be awhile. Gotta cool down before I can even kerosene her.

Texas Jan
Lovely machine!

I feel you on the kerosene--I went out on Monday evening (it was only 102 here that day :) ) and did some de-gunking. I just didn't have the patience to wait another week. Shall we say I looked less than ladylike after that??[/quote]

I would have been a puddle on the floor in that temperature. My DH can work outside even when it is 111 degrees but I can't. July & August are mostly my indoors times unless I am swimming. Stay cool!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 AM

DH and I worked on the 189?Industrial with table last night. Discovered the wing on back of the table slides on a rod to extend to left of back of machine. It was froze on the metal rod, but we got it freed up, it moves freely now. It is such agreat feeling to see the inginuity our ancestors had so long ago. Anyhoooo, my question....the table was filthy, grease, oil, dirt, I shudder to think of it. The wood is in good shape, at first we thought raw but well seasoned. But there are signs of varnish (or something) where the edges of the machine protected it. I have it cleaned and lightly sanded, now am ready to protect the wood. DH thinks we should oil it up good and leave it, I'm thinking polyurethane? I am also thinking about the fabric that will be put on it. Thanks for your help.
Uponfurtherobselso, I thought the pitman was good to go, it is the original wood pitman. There is a pc missing off one end. Is that something that can be repaired?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny][quote=chris_quilts] My kids are making the noise too but none yet from DH. I am rehoming a couple of them this coming week.

Are you rehoming machines or kids? In case you're still thinking about this, machines not only don't need money for college, they also don't talk back.
Miz Johnny, you make me laugh! This is so true!!