Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2545189089.html\
Anybody near Greensburg IN??? I think the price is good - don't know anything else.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2545189089.html\
Anybody near Greensburg IN??? I think the price is good - don't know anything else.
Remove the "\" at the end of the link and it'll work. :)

For $25? GRAB IT!
Nice treadle. :)
Too bad Houston is... well... where it is, in the 4th level of Hades, sweltering away.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I sent him an e-mail explaining that machine is not a 'vintage' anything! I also directed him on what a 'vintage' Singer Featherweight actually looks like and how to look it up!

Nancy

Nancy, did you see he updated his listing and thanked you for the info!! :-)
Now that is funny! I will send him another e-mail thanking him for updating and correcting his 'vintage' featherweight ad!

Janice I love the new Lotus pictured in the photo shop. Have you tried adjusting the stitch length? I had the same problem with my Davis Vertical feed until I started playing with the stitch length. She wouldn't make a stitch either.

Monica, loved the peppers!

Candice nice 319! And, Lucy you got some great deals, but you have your work cut out for you on those 3 machines!

Oh, and Miriam is the Dr sure it in not poison ivy? I'd still bet that is the culprit! My horses eat our poison oak, but if they eat too much they get burned lips! I actually had to go out and pull the stuff up by the roots to get rid of ours. It was everywhere! Luckily some people are not as sensitive to the stuff as others are. I have always heard that poison ivy is much worse than poison oak. I'd get the goats! Once the stuff is gone, you can always replant your yard!

Nancy
Poison Ivy is really bad stuff. When I was 6 my uncle burned a field of the ivy and the smoke got into my lungs. Well I was in the hosptal for two weeks. but now I am not allergic to or sensitve to poison ivy or oak. I can go pull it all day and nothing.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
Old 08-13-2011, 02:34 PM

Been lurking, again. I never seem to know what to say to add to the conversation. You all have beautiful machines! I added 3 to my collection last week. DH is tolerating, so far. I now have people calling me, "I hear you collect vintage machines?" Yep!! Anyway, Poison Ivy is terrible. I used to get it as a kid. Doc said if I walked by a patch and the wind was blowing I could get it. I got some shots, don't know what they were, but haven't had it in years. Unfortunately, my DS is highly allergic. Ended up in the hospital when a teen. His face and neck swelled so bad you couldn't recognize him. If he gets a little spot, or someone else near him does, he about goes into a panic, and with good reason. He gets it at least once a year, and it is never pretty! Hope you get over it soon, I have never heard of the other stuff you mentioned. Hope not to learn either! LOL Wish I could go to California to the TOGA, I have 2 of my machines almost ready to treadle with, just trying to figure them out, then will practice til I get it right. I'm putting on a retreat at a camp on the lake in November, if anyone is interested, PM me for the info. I have a few QB members coming.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Tinabug
Can anyone tell me if this machine is worth buying for $90 It's an Imperial the seller says early 1900s, I know nothing about this brand. I posted a photo on the Main page. I don't know how to post on this page it's not showing a browse for photo
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-144711-1.htm#3935226
It looks like someone took different items to make a complete unit. In all my wandering on the net, I have never seen this type of Singer cabinet with this type of Singer straight-leg treadle. And the machine isn't that vintage of a Singer 15s, most likely one that is made in Japan or India.

If you want a straight-leg treadle, then see if you could pick up this for lots less. The cabinet looks like work, and the machine could be great-excellent for free-motion quilting. If you already own a Singer 15, then forget the machine.

I own a Singer straight-leg like this one (metal sides) ( there are metal side legs and the older wooden legs) that is very noisy if not on carpet and not situated in just the correct area of the floor.

My suggestion is to only go after this straight-leg treadle, if you really must have a straight-leg cabinet today, otherwise wait for a free one to show up or wait until a wooden straight-leg shows up.
Question - what is a straight leg treadle? What is the difference between that and a regular treadle? Forgive me if this is a stupid question!

Here are photos of my two treadles, one is a metal straight-leg and the other the standard treadle.

Loveyl, you will have to google for an image of a wooden straight-leg to see that. It has the same configuration as a metal straight-leg. You may also find looking through the vintage photo shop interesting: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm
Thanks for the explaination! I had never seen a straight leg treadle before. Now I want one! :lol:
Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buslady
Been lurking, again. I never seem to know what to say to add to the conversation. .
You are welcome to join in and you do have things to say.

I just hate poison ivy. I keep breaking out in odd places. I don't know if it is from something that the PI touched or what ever. I'm going crazy with this stuff ever since the first week in July.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

YEAH! DH surprised me with a shop this morning. That converted garage room was already divided in two rooms. He put a nice work bench in one room. There are outlets 4ft off the floor all the way around the work room. In the back room, he put 12 ft long & 4 shelves tall for fabric & machines! There is room for one of my old home ec school tables in there too. I still need good lights and it needs a better door and some kitchen cabinets moved about. I am thrilled though! The ugly little cottage will someday be a very nice studio. At this point I take what I can get... Anyway I bought a big tote box of attachments today. I shoved them in my new shop - next week end I hope to have my work done so I can play with the new toys.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 PM

I have two red eye's. The decals are good on each. The best one has a motor and is in a portable cabinet. The other had a rag around it and was used as a pin cushion, and that one is a treadle. Hubby put the good decal one and took the motor off and put it in the treadle cabinet. The other one he put it in the portable cabinet and put a hand crank on it. Problem, the top of the portable will not fit because of the hand crank. Does anyone have a portable cabinet that they would like to sell that will fit with the hand crank on? Kathie