Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laura59
Okay, I did it again. Lol. Yesterday, we went to a car show. They had a nice flea market with it. The ladies and I had to check out the flea market and guess what followed me home? A Singer, #AL476361. Audrey said that pretty soon Bob will stop taking me along to car shows. This is the 2nd machine I've picked up at a car show. It is not in a cabinet, just the head. When I asked the guy how much it was, he said $50. Whoaaaaa!!! I turned around and started to walk away, then he said, $10. It nicely followed me back to the car. It came with a book and some attachements. The book says 15-125, but, when I look at the machine, the model number is in the wrong place. Could someone tell me what model this is and what year it was made? Also, where can I lookup Singers to find out for myself what year a machine was made and what model it is for future reference? I love this group. I am now totally addicted to collecting vintage machines. If I'm lucky, I might get dh to go back to an antique shop. I saw a white treadle for $75. The cabinet was in good shape, not sure about the machine yet, that's why I want to go back.
It is a model 15 from 1953, but I don't know how you find out the second "dash" number. I hope someone tells us. I look up numbers on the Singer site, starting at http://singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Charlee, are you sure you mean Homer's and not Howard's?
You're gonna make me go look at the can, aren't you? ;) :lol: BRB...

You're right Dunster! I was too lazy to go make sure, and my memory was saying "Homer's" but the cans say "Howard's" !!! ;) :lol: Sorry folks!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by dunster
Charlee, are you sure you mean Homer's and not Howard's?
You're gonna make me go look at the can, aren't you? ;) :lol: BRB...

You're right Dunster! I was too lazy to go make sure, and my memory was saying "Homer's" but the cans say "Howard's" !!! ;) :lol: Sorry folks!
I use the Howard Restor-a-Finish and really like it. Is that the product you use?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 AM

Yep!! Just have to make sure that you don't put it on and let it sit too long...it's a mild stripper with stain in it, so it does have the potential of stripping off old shellac! After a good wipe down, use the beeswax/orange oil combo (same brand) and you get a lovely protective finish!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kas
Ok. Just bought a new, used power plug for my 301. The rubber on the outside of the wires is kind of sticky. Is that normal? should I just return it and try to rewire the plug that came with it? The outside plastic covering the wires was cracked, but the part that connects to the machine is the original bakelite and the insulation on the wires themselves seem uncracked. What do ya think?
I would rewire the bakelite piece, I have done several and they are easy to do. The bakelite piece has two screws on it that you undo and then it comes in halves. You take the brass connectors out of the housing and unscrew the thumb screw to to take the wires off.

Be careful not to loose the little nuts and pieces that come off of the housing. they are tiny and it would be frustrating to have to look for them if they hit the floor.

Go get an indoor extension cord that is 16/2 wired and cut the end off that has the female pug in's on it and separate the wiring and stip back about 1/2" of the insulation.

Here is the tricky part getting the wires on the little lugs. there is a notch in the lug for the wire to come through when it is in the housing so make sure you have the wire entering there.

Once you have the lugs on the wire then put them back into the housing and put the halves back together and you are good to go!!

Billy
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Hey Billy...question for you! How do we tell what the different "number tags" are for different models of machines? "66-16" for example...how do we determine the "16"?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Hey Billy...question for you! How do we tell what the different "number tags" are for different models of machines? "66-16" for example...how do we determine the "16"?
Good question Charlee and I have not the answer to it.

I know that the sub models came around as the improvements did to the certain model ie; 66-1 is the backclamp, 66-2 sideclamp (early), 66-3 was the hand crank, and the list goes on. It was Singers way of keeping up with what the engineers had done to improve the model.

Some of the improvements were very noticeable then some were internal and you can not tell only if you ripped into the machine.Chrys Gunther is the only person I know that has all of the records from Singer to be able to tell whats what including the industrial models.

That lady has almost all of the records that Singer lost and tons of inner office memos from the engineering department and all the way up to Issac Singer himself. When I say she is the leading expert I mean she is the leading expert!! Its bad when the company has to call her to find out something about themselves! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 06-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Good question Charlee and I have not the answer to it.

I know that the sub models came around as the improvements did to the certain model ie; 66-1 is the backclamp, 66-2 sideclamp (early), 66-3 was the hand crank, and the list goes on. It was Singers way of keeping up with what the engineers had done to improve the model.

Some of the improvements were very noticeable then some were internal and you can not tell only if you ripped into the machine.Chrys Gunther is the only person I know that has all of the records from Singer to be able to tell whats what including the industrial models.

That lady has almost all of the records that Singer lost and tons of inner office memos from the engineering department and all the way up to Issac Singer himself. When I say she is the leading expert I mean she is the leading expert!! Its bad when the company has to call her to find out something about themselves! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Wow, I wonder what her plans are for this significant set of artifacts?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCquilts
Wow, I wonder what her plans are for this significant set of artifacts?
They will more than likely go to the NeedleBar and taken care of there. The Smithsonian uses them for a lot of their research on sewing machines so they are very well respected in the historical community.

Billy
Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I have just won a Singer Zig Zagger attachment on ebay, that comes with cams nos 161000, 001,002 and 003. I know that there is an 004 our there somewhere, does anyone know how many there are to collect, and more importanly, if anyone has any spares, I would be happy to negotiate.