Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The purpose of the spindle is for holding the machine when its tipped back to oil the bottom of the machine.
Sharon W.
That is what I decided last night, the first time I tipped it back. When I got it, the first thing I did was stick the spindle in my purse for safekeeping on the way home. When we loaded it in the car it had to be held carefully to keep it from tippin too far back(haven't got the machine off the base yet--need rust remover on the hex nuts). When I set her up and tipped it back with the spindle in place, it seemed like the perfect answer!! I'll post pictures later today. She will be a beauty one day.

Texas Jan
Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 AM

I had my tonsils out when I was 5 and it was gruesome in the extreme. The pain never seemed to end. The adults had told me it wouldn't hurt and that I could have all the ice cream I wanted afterward. I wanted none. What I learned from that experience was that all adults will lie.

The only reason to have tonsils out is necrotic tissue. Short of that deal with it. Children need to be taken to the doctor and given antibiotics not made to tough it out resulting in necrotic tissue.

Where do people get the idea that children (or newborns) feel less pain than adults? Where does this idea come from?

Sorry for being off topic but I'd like my voice heard on this subject in counterpoint to the rosey previously expressed opinions. 61 years later and the pain is still vivid. The betrayal sharply remembered.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by logofflater View Post
I had my tonsils out when I was 5 and it was gruesome in the extreme. The pain never seemed to end. The adults had told me it wouldn't hurt and that I could have all the ice cream I wanted afterward. I wanted none. What I learned from that experience was that all adults will lie.

The only reason to have tonsils out is necrotic tissue. Short of that deal with it. Children need to be taken to the doctor and given antibiotics not made to tough it out resulting in necrotic tissue.

Where do people get the idea that children (or newborns) feel less pain than adults? Where does this idea come from?

Sorry for being off topic but I'd like my voice heard on this subject in counterpoint to the rosey previously expressed opinions. 61 years later and the pain is still vivid. The betrayal sharply remembered.
Poor Wilbur can't breathe right on a good day. Then when his tonsils swell up from strep he also can't swallow and he throws up and he gets dehydrated. He's had a lot of high powered antibiotics and they have not been terribly effective for him. I'm sure he is traumatized by the whole ordeal - who wouldn't be - they put electrodes all over his body, they have poked and prodded. Yes he does feel a lot of pain. He is one grumpy little old man that is 2 years old. Nobody has promised him anything that I know of. I just hope it helps him breathe and maybe get some sleep at night. He should be in preparation for surgery right now. I'm going over later to hold the baby so DD can deal with Wilbur.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Sorry, I have to disagree completely. Antibiotics should NOT be used lightly. And I suffered with sore throats all my life. NO necrotic tissue. I should have had them yanked younger because all that pain and inflamation took it's toll and I now have a life-long voice disorder to contend with. Had they given me antibiotics for every sore throat I had, I would be even more messed up than I already am! Having my tonsils out at 32 years old and all the adults told me it was going to be one of the worst experiences of my life...and they were right!

Miriam, you're little one will thank his momma when he can breathe and not have the problems he does now.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM

I was going to ignore this post because I'm in a rush today- just came on for a quick peek to see how everyone is doing with their vintage ladies and gents.

Well, Sorry to read that you had such a bad experience. Any surgery is nasty and takes time to recover from.

When I was little, I learned that I had tonsils through the kids in my neighborhood. They all talked about having their tonsils removed and getting to eat lots of popsicles and ice cream. They said it was painful, but that didn't matter since one got to eat all the ice cream that they wanted for a day.

Well, I remember going home and telling my parents that I wanted my tonsils out too, even though I didn't need them removed. I think I was just six at that time, and I thought there must be something not right about my health since I still had tonsils. I had mine removed at age 25, and it wasn't nice.

What also marvels me are the woman that give birth and are walking around shopping two days later. Not me, I was out for more than a week...but that's another story.

And with that note...

May Wilbur have a comfortable Christmas...

And may everyone here have a safe holiday weekend...

A Happy Hanukkah....

And A Merry Christmas....

May there to be PEACE to ALL.

-Vintagemotif
Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I'm getting ready to leave. He is in surgery. DSIL stayed with DD and is leaving with the girls. Wilbur has fought with everybody all morning. We are hoping he does ok for the recovery. I just took a good nap. Now I'm going over with something for my daughter to eat while we wait for Wilbur to come out of recovery.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Oh I'm so sorry Miriam that Wilbur has to go through that. It is no fun for the family either. I didn't realize I missed so much this week. My 7 year old was taken for emergency surgery last week. Missed the whole week of work and have been trying to catch up on my board posts. My poor machine is getting dusty! May Wilbur heal quickly. May his parents be able to comfort him. My special needs son couldn't talk for a long time. Whenever he had health problems it was so hard to diagnose because he couldn't tell us what was wrong. He's almost 11 now and even now that he's been talking about 5 years, when he is sick or hurt, he can't talk anymore. I know it must be so difficult to watch a little 2 year old struggle like that. Hugs to all of you.

Melissa
Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM

You don't need help doing this. It just screws onto the motor mount hole in the right side of the machine! Easy as pie and if I can do it you can!!!

This is in reponse to the one that was going to see if someone could help her put a handcrank on her littel lady....I did it...Easy/peasy!!

Last edited by sew wishful; 12-23-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: I forgot to post quote first...
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM

I posted this on the wrong thread. People must think I have no brain. :> O.K. so here it is in the "right" place. You die hards will understand my sour face.

O.K. this is a rant about ebay or at least one policy ebay has. I'm kind of p*ssed. I bid on a listing for a vintage, Singer card table for my 401. It only had 1 day left and I was the lead bidder. I was really looking forward to having this table. I was notified that the auction was pulled by the seller as the "item is no longer available". Which is code for he sold it locally I assume. This makes me really mad. There should be some negative consequences to the seller for doing this. Some kind of ding to his feedback or at least the ability for me to give some sort or response or feedback about it! Nope...so he can have me hanging on for 3 or 4 days, and my bid is permanent, but he can go and yank the auction if he gets a local buyer. This doesn't seem right to me and I think it stinks:<
Old 12-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Default 1891 New Home Treadle

Glenn mentioned my new "baby" yesterday. He and I were going crazy over that spindle in the back. Now we know it is to lean the sewing machine against when oiling her. I hope someone knows what make she is. Perhaps her unique bobbin winding piece may be a clue. She has lots of pin rash and looks like someone shellaced over her hand painted flowers. The case is wonderful, but needs finish restoring. I have the original velvet lined box full of attachments. I got her from the original owners great grand daughter for the princely sum of $50.00 on CL. Her thimbles, screwdrivers and a wooden case of needles were in the drawers, plus a bunch of antique buttons (and various junk that we all acummulate around our machines). That was Merry Christmas to me !!

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails machine-front-before.jpg   front-before.jpg   bobbin-winding-assembly.jpg   drawers-before.jpg