Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, I think the guy that got that machine will really like it!

Are you the one wanting an orange sewing machine? I would love to find a red vintage machine someday!

Nancy
I keep my eyes open for a vintage red for ya Nancy...haven't found one yet, but I keep looking!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM

Sorry, Nancy. If I find a red one. It's MINE!!
Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, I think the guy that got that machine will really like it!

Are you the one wanting an orange sewing machine? I would love to find a red vintage machine someday!

Nancy
I have an orange sewing machine. Well some of it is orange. It is a MW - looks like from the late 70s early 80s - seems to be a good machine. I laughed at it when I found it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]337944[/ATTACH]
but the front of it isn't orange - just the ends and knobs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]337945[/ATTACH]
AND duh dut diddle dut diddle dut:
I have a red machine on my bench right now too - it belongs to my boss - I just gave it a tune up. I should shoot it so everybody can see a red machine.
Attached Thumbnails 40-out-65-cl-machines-4-22-12-043.jpg   40-out-65-cl-machines-4-22-12-042.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Sorry, Nancy. If I find a red one. It's MINE!!
Candace, didn't your mother teach you to share? Well, since you found my Pfaff treadle and my 306w, I will forgive you this one transgression!

Charlee thank you for watching for a red machine for me!

Miriam, we would love to see a photo of the red machine!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-26-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I will try to do just about anything although some don't come out right. But sewing, my grandma taught me to sew I was about eight when she started teaching me to knit, crochet, quilt and make some clothing. I would have rather been playing ball with the kids and I hated the hour or two a day she had me cornered. Now I am glad she did and I have not stop sewing or making my son sweaters when he was growing up. My passion is wood working and had a business for years after retiring from the Army. I learned this trade by apprenticing off a old German woodworker for about five years. I can't do every thing but I will try it. lol
Glenn, I taught most of my grandsons to sew, but now that some of them are teens most of them no longer sew. When they were little, they thought sewing was really cool. They all made several projects - book covers, place mats, large quilted bags to carry their stuff in when spending the night, and a lap sized quilt. Now, Marcus, the 3-year old wants to learn to sew just because he thinks it is fun - I doubt he keeps it up, though, after he gets a little older! At least one of the boys, who is now 14 can mend for his mom and they all know how to operate a sewing machine! I think that is important since most girls don't even do that anymore - they can't even mend a torn blouse or hem something! Besides in the good old days, most tailors were men! I think it is great that your grandmother taught you to sew and that you still sew! I use to hold a quilt camp here every summer for the grandkids! We had kids all summer anyway and that way they had something to do besides drive us nuts with the quads going all day, gave the horses a break - and it kept them out of Grampa's hair!

Nancy
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Found the serial number on the new FW after several DUH!! moments. The allotment date is Jan 23, 1950, and she was made earlyish in the run of 40,000. Dh did well except that the needle doesn't move up and down but I know she needs cleaning and the bed hasd some scratches. She is a long bed so I'm excited overr that. What I'm not excited about is remembering where I put the cleaning stuff cuz I had 3 spaces where I just put stuff that fit there without any sort of plan. MIL still had pleanty of things to grouse about so didn't ruin all of her fun.
Am hoping I can find the 99 face plate and see if it fits the FW. The 99's plate is prettier than than the FW's.
Chris, by long bed, you must mean you have a black featherweight. They didn't come in a 'long bed' and 'short bed' like a 301 does. The black FW's all have the same length bed, and the white/light green ones all have a short bed. I don't have a tan one, but I think the tan/beige one was always a longer bed like the black FW's, but each color was what it was - there was no choice of a long or short bed. There was a free arm, though, in black.

Your needle not moving could be that the bobbin case is not set correctly for the grove (position finger) in the throat plate. It could also be that the hook/race/bobbin casing have some thread caught in there. Those FW's were made so precise - so small - there is no room for a thread, lint, anything to interfere with the action of the machine. Even one thread caught in and around the hook/race can freeze those machines. They are very easy to care for yourself - just get a flash light and start hunting. Don't force anything. Sometimes you can soak the bobbin area in oil and if there is a thread caught you can then get it out. I have 'unstuck' several FW's that just needed a very good cleaning!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-26-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Bojangles/Nancy,
I have a tan FW and it's bed is the same size as the black FW's. Dh thought I was a bit odd last night, I was quilting and binding potholders with my Bernina 930 and sewing the binding strips together with my tan FW. The 930 is in the Horn cabinet and the FW was set up on the left, sure was easier to have both machines set up; rather than having to change to a the needle on the 930.
I was using up some scraps and decided I that I needed a new batch of potholders.
Sharon W.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM

Hey Nancy, did you order a new bobbin case yet for the 306? I guess you can't do much with it until then?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have been working on the old house and we have got the painting done so catching up on the chat here and noticed the thread again on bra making. I have been married for 45 years to the same wonderful women and I have made her many formals and even bras thru the years so no problem here. All though bras can be a challenge depending on rather it will lift for formal ware are regular wear. Sometimes I even but stays in them or wires to support. They can be hard to make.
Glenn, another reason you are a hero to the ladies here!!! :-)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Here is that handy little two sided low/horizontal screwdriver my DH altered for me to use on my machines. It's really quite handy....moves difficult screws really well.
Attached Thumbnails img_1921.jpg   img_1922.jpg