Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EC
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
FEATHERWEIGHT problem... help?

The needle is in with the flat side to the right side; I have taken the top plate off; taken the bobbin casing out and found nothing amiss.

:-D
If I'm not mistaken, flat side belongs on the left on a FW. Threads right to left.

I had to look it up, but EC is correct. Flat side on left, thread it right to left. I find it much easier to thread with my right hand, so it irritates me when a machine threads left to right. Front to back is best, because then I can see the eye better.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
And here's a lamp made from a RED featherweight. Now that's just taking it too far...
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOUCH-TABLE-DESK...item588808a9ad

I'm editing my opinion. Actually I think it's pretty darned cute, but I would prefer to have a functioning red featherweight. However... maybe it couldn't be fixed as a sewing machine. But I don't think it should be priced comparably to a functioning featherweight. Those machines have the high price only because we (quilters) have put a premium on them for their good stitch and portability. The sewing value is gone when it's turned into a lamp. But it IS cute.
This is so wrong in so many ways.......read the listing. He thought because the serial was partially missing he couldnt sell it, so it tells me it was a working machine......

There is no cure for stupidity. :evil:

Billy
Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Eww...these morphed cabinet/lamps, base/chairs and such make my skin crawl. It reminds me of the kid that lives next door to Andy in Toy Story that gets his kicks by dissecting and reattaching toys- ie the one-eyed doll head erector spider. It's just wrong.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by EC

The needle is in with the flat side to the right side; I have taken the top plate off; taken the bobbin casing out and found nothing amiss.

If I'm not mistaken, flat side belongs on the left on a FW. Threads right to left.
Ok, I turned the needle flat side to the left side. It still does the same thing. When I lift the bed and look at it, the needle is hitting the metal case in the very back.
Can't figure out how it changed.
I had to look it up, but EC is correct. Flat side on left, thread it right to left. I find it much easier to thread with my right hand, so it irritates me when a machine threads left to right. Front to back is best, because then I can see the eye better.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM

For no reason that I can think of, my FW suddenly began acting up.

When I turn the wheel -I am not using electricity right now until the problem is fixed- OK, so when I moved the wheel, the needle goes down into the hole, sorta to the right side of the hole and stops. I have to reverse the way I move the wheel to bring the needle back out.

I love sewing on this machine and have sewn hours on it without any problems.

What else do I need to check to find out where the problem is?

Thanks in advance because I know one of you will be able to come up with the right answer. :-D
Do you have the needle with the flat side facing the left? I had mine backwards and it would not go up and down smoothly either.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Ok, I turned the needle flat side to the left side. It still does the same thing. When I lift the bed and look at it, the needle is hitting the metal case in the very back.
OK, this is a long shot, but is the "finger" of the bobbin case in the slot on the needle plate?

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

see figure 12, and reduce the size so the picture is a little bit clearer.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Oh, rats, I dropped the little, teeny, tiny black screw into the machine. I need some little fingers to move around. Oh, and I REALLY need to get a small magnetic screw driver. It may be a while before I get the screw out. Miz Johnny, I think your long shot answer might be just what is causing the problem. Thanks. I will check back later. (still smilin'.... what else can I do??)

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
OK, this is a long shot, but is the "finger" of the bobbin case in the slot on the needle plate?

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

see figure 12, and reduce the size so the picture is a little bit clearer.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 AM

Oh Man every once in a while I stop getting notifications for this thread! I hate it when that happens!!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 AM

I know, I should be getting to work.

Here is a beautiful Wilson and Wheeler parlor cabinet.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/atq/1836245680.html
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

Lisa that is a nice parlor cabinet.........I am not going to tell you what to do on this one but........... :mrgreen:

Billy