Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 393 of 4413 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 392 393 394 403 443 493 893 1393 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 44122

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone!

I need some hints on how to get my treadle going without going back and forth and breaking thread! Once, I get going I can sew pretty good, but I want to make a small quilt from start to finish on the treadle and right now I can only sew kind of hit and miss!

Billy should I be putting some kind of grease on the treadle so it goes easier when you are starting? Are some treadles easier than others? My treadle is really smooth once I get it going, but getting going is very hard! My belt is pretty loose, but it doen't slip, should it be tighter? Is there a trick to getting going?

Nancy

BoJangles,

I was told to reach over and give the wheel a turn from the top down toward me by hand to get started.

I time this with my foot ready to take up the momentum on the treadle.

Make sense? :?:

Aardie

Blog Entries
    I do that -- I turn the wheel with my right hand while I am trying to get the treadle going with my feet, legs! I can see why people comment on how hard it is to learn to treadle with your hands free to guide fabric! I keep trying to treadle while I turn the wheel and I can eventually get it going -- but, first I usually break a few threads while my machine goes back and forth! I have gotten so I can do it without thread easier than with thread, but that won't work to make something!

Also, do you guys get tired and sore? My legs are sore from practicing so much the last few days. There are times I can treadle very easily, then the peddle sticks, and I am breaking thread again.

My husband only uses his feet and ankles to threadle, but I have to use my whole leg to get the peddle moving. Maybe, I am doing it wrong? I thought I had heard some people can treadle with one foot?

Any hints would be appreciated on how to use your feet, ankles, legs!

Nancy

EC
    Nancy, I usually use just one foot, find it much easier. Not co-ordinated enough to use two at a time. Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by EC
    Nancy, I usually use just one foot, find it much easier. Not co-ordinated enough to use two at a time. Don't give up.
    I remember my mother treadling and using just one foot was the way to go, so much easier. We'll see just how good I am at it when I get in there and actually do it. hahaha

EC
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Quote Originally Posted by EC
    I remember my mother treadling and using just one foot was the way to go, so much easier. We'll see just how good I am at it when I get in there and actually do it. hahaha
    Yeah, my feet just confuse each other when they try to play together!!! (LOL)

I also keep my foot kind of in the middle of the pedal (front to back), hanging on the front edge doesn't work for me.

Banned
    If anyone wants a Slant Shank and the best one made here is a deal and a half right here!!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/art/1870240678.html

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    If anyone wants a Slant Shank and the best one made here is a deal and a half right here!!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/art/1870240678.html

Billy
    Billy do you feel this slant shank is better then a 301? Maybe I need one of these too. LOL A little far for me. Hubbys is already complaining about me always wanting the far away ones.