Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 PM

This has been interesting to me. I bought a Singer Treadle about 15 years ago because it was in a pretty cabinet and I wanted the cabinet. It has sat in a bedroom all that time and I never thought about the machine. I just knew it worked, had a manual that was in poor shape but was there and had two wooden boxes of things. I just always thought the machine was from the thirties because I remember my grandma had one something like it.

Since I logged onto this site, I think I now have a 1889 Model 27 machine that looks to be in pretty good condition. I was shocked this machine is over 120 years old.

Cindy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, I have a sickness. I got two more machines today. The Singer 30 was not as nice as the pictures or I dreamed, but I got it anyway. I have to have help to unload from the car. I don't want to hurt my back again. So it will be a 2nd or third project.

But I also got this one "vintage?" for free, Singer Model 337 made in Great Britian. It is not working. I thought it may just be something loose because I heard something rattling in the machine. Well it was a lovely marble. How do you suppose that got in there?

The hand wheel turn but nothing else does. So this will be a pretty machine to sit on the shelf for awhile.
Looks like I created a monster!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the Singer, I almost bought one just like it but the plastic facing was broken but it was a working machine. I am like you, how did that marble get there? I have found odd things in machines before but never a marble!!

As far as the hand wheel are you sure that it is not disengaged to wind the bobbin?

Sounds like you are amassing quite a collection.

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by seamstome
This has been interesting to me. I bought a Singer Treadle about 15 years ago because it was in a pretty cabinet and I wanted the cabinet. It has sat in a bedroom all that time and I never thought about the machine...........

Since I logged onto this site, I think I now have a 1889 Model 27 machine that looks to be in pretty good condition. I was shocked this machine is over 120 years old.

Cindy
See you were a collector before you even knew it!! Congratulations on your newly "realized" treasure!!!

Now go post some photos for us so we can enjoy the find too!!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 AM

Linda, actually it is a really nice baby blue but in pictures always shows up looking green.

Billy, yes, monster that has been lerking and you have let it escape. My Mom would get mad at me as a kid always taking things apart. I do that very well, a bit short on getting things back together though, so hope this will be different. But spending too much looking and buying machines and not enough sewing. I want to sew on one. So i am working on the patience part you mentioned in the Tutorial. I will see if things on the Davis have loosened up so I can complete the disassembly part.

Have to wait until I get off duty this afternoon. (shhhhh)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68062.gif  
Old 05-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

Lisa, I can see the monsters coming out now!!!

Cute!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 AM

okay is there a secret to getting the shuttle plates off--more WD40?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
okay is there a secret to getting the shuttle plates off--more WD40?
spray them down pretty good and let it sit in the sun to warm up OR use a hair drier to warm them up and see if you can take something and tap them out. I had to use a small block of wood and a small hammer to get the rear one out of its spot.

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 AM

it looks like you are going to get a new toy. I cannot get the tension bars or pressure bars loose--not enough sunshine today to help will try the hair dryer at home. And neither shuttle plate will move. oh and the thread guide down by the needle is not cooming off either. If i didn't know better i would think this machine had been in a fire and melted tight.

and when i took off the rear inspection plate and roled the wheel nothing is happening--shouldn't something be turning?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Billy, I am talking to a guy who has his Grandmother's blue Montgomery Ward Model 385B, Deluxe RoundRobbin, serial number H 7613478
Where should I look to find out about it?

Finally got a reply back from Alan on NB about being authorized to change my password. Dropped your name---think that made a difference :shock: ;)
Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
it looks like you are going to get a new toy. I cannot get the tension bars or pressure bars loose--not enough sunshine today to help will try the hair dryer at home. And neither shuttle plate will move. oh and the thread guide down by the needle is not cooming off either. If i didn't know better i would think this machine had been in a fire and melted tight.

and when i took off the rear inspection plate and roled the wheel nothing is happening--shouldn't something be turning?
Unless it is still disengaged the hand wheel should not be turning.

I have had machines that were a lot worse than this one and I am using them almost daily now. It takes patience to get one unstuck.

The last one I had to get unstuck it took me 2 weeks before it would make a full round with the handwheel. I would spray it with WD-40 and try to wiggle the handwheel everyday. After a couple of days it moved a little, I would hit it with some more WD and wiggle a little more. Never try and to force it to do something it does not want to do. But after that it was fairly easy to take apart and to fix.

I have even seen one take a couple of months to get to move but it was a lot worse off than yours is. I ended up tossing it in a bucket of kerosene and Royal Purple motor oil and letting it soak for the entire time.

I think the problem with yours is it got wet or something like that it is too nice to have gotten burned or in a high heat area. The japan would be bubbled like Charlees D-9.

But take your time and try not to force it. It will come around soon enough!

Billy