Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I did date the 99k, it was born on june 4th, 1957. Thanks for the congrats. I am trying to figure out just where I'm gonna put the Davis. I'm totally running out of room. Guess we'll have to learn to sleep hanging like bats from the rafters to make more space.
Just make a couple rows of treadles and put your mattress on top!! LOL
Weedwoman: Hahahaha....hang from the rafters like bats---what a great idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pennijanine: I guess yours is a more practical idea, though. I have told myself...." NO MORE CABINETS"
I've also told myself NO MORE CABINETS, I find I don't listen very good......I also keep my machines where my two cats can't get to them cause I know they would make a mess of everything and then look at me like they don't have any idea why I'd be upset with them. Bad thing is, I know full well I'm gonna buy more machines. Is there rehab for this? lol
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by pennijanine
I did date the 99k, it was born on june 4th, 1957. Thanks for the congrats. I am trying to figure out just where I'm gonna put the Davis. I'm totally running out of room. Guess we'll have to learn to sleep hanging like bats from the rafters to make more space.
Just make a couple rows of treadles and put your mattress on top!! LOL
Weedwoman: Hahahaha....hang from the rafters like bats---what a great idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pennijanine: I guess yours is a more practical idea, though. I have told myself...." NO MORE CABINETS"
I've also told myself NO MORE CABINETS, I find I don't listen very good......I also keep my machines where my two cats can't get to them cause I know they would make a mess of everything and then look at me like they don't have any idea why I'd be upset with them. Bad thing is, I know full well I'm gonna buy more machines. Is there rehab for this? lol
Sadly, no :-( :cry: Once you have contracted this virus, there is NO cure. Maybe instead of "us" hanging from the rafters maybe we could hook up something that hangs the "cabinets" from the rafters....just like the women in the olden days would raise their quilting frame up to the ceiling when they weren't using it....LOL!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Here are the 2 machines from the dim, dusty antique shop. I feel sooo blessed.

Wheeler & Wilson #9
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168703[/ATTACH]

Davis Low Arm VS
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168704[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168698.jpe   attachment-168699.jpe  
Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
FREAKING FANTASTIC, beautiful finds. I'm gonna have to get to wichita soon, it's only 120 miles from where I live and my youngest grandson and his girlfriend live in Derby so I could bunk with them and make more than a day trip. wahoo, I'm excited.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Wow those machines are beautiful! Great finds!

Nancy
Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Is the term "grasshopper" used for all green machines or just Elna? I have a green vintage machine, too, but not that brand. I think grasshopper fits her perfectly! LOL!
I think the grasshopper nickname is only for the Elna Supramatic, especially the first edition - because not only was it green, it looked like one!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-168712.zip (2.00 MB, 13 views)
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM

FREAKING FANTASTIC, beautiful finds. I'm gonna have to get to wichita soon, it's only 120 miles from where I live and my youngest grandson and his girlfriend live in Derby so I could bunk with them and make more than a day trip. wahoo, I'm excited.
There are still 2 treadles there, but not in this shape.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow those machines are beautiful! Great finds!

Nancy
thank you! I thought I might be able to get one, but DH is great at dickering price!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
I was just checking those out because I saw one on Craigslist. The NL models were made in the 1980's. They are a real 15-91 but not one of the vintage ones. The one that I saw on Craigslist was for $35.00 and I would have bought it (just because the decals were so gorgeous) but it was too far from me.

Here is the listing for it:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/art/2176327487.html

Ah well... Did singer ever make reproductions of other models?
Yes, the sewing repair shop here has a Singer Treadle that is a reproduction of the Lotus (I think the Lotus if I remember right). It has the same look as most of the reproduction machines, the decals have an Asian look - trying to imitate the very old real ones. I don't care for the look, a little over the top, but I don't care for imitations anyway. The machines are not made with the same workmanship as the vintage machines either. The treadle I saw would never last 100 years, probably not 50 years. The machines are mostly plastic, won't last either.

Nancy
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM

thank you! I thought I might be able to get one, but DH is great at dickering price!
LOL my DH is much better with the dickering that I am!

Nancy