Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 PM

No Sue I don't think that we are havin' a swap right now. I thought we decided not ta do one till after the first o' the year.
It is hard ta git home faster when we are not the one drivin'! My DH also wants me home before dark. He too gits a bit agitated if I'm not home at dusk.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 AM

I guess, Dublb, you could be right...or QuiltE has not contacted you. Apparently she has 12 people who are making 12 PC blocks for the exchange among them. I wish them well. I am still recovering my eye sight and working on what needs to be done before Christmas. Lots of UFOs in the sewing room to finish.

It is one day at a time here. One step at a time. One stitch at a time. Counting my blessings. Thanksgiving and Christmas coming so close together this year, the homes here are showing their Christmas lights already...

J., the lady who made so many quilts (700), loved my album of pictures of the private showing and comments from QB...it made their day yesterday. One said, "lovely lady", and she said and 'looking like this?' And I said 'yes' they are looking at your quilts and seeing you through them, and you are a lovely lady who has put your heart and self into your work.' She invited me back to her home anytime. It made the couple very happy, and they can reread the comments as many times as they want to enjoy them. Thanks to the many who commented on QB.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I guess, Dublb, you could be right...or QuiltE has not contacted you. Apparently she has 12 people who are making 12 PC blocks for the exchange among them. I wish them well.
I've been MIA. Way too hectic these days. Anyway, the swap appears to have been in 2012, not recent and it looks like QuiltE was just a participant. Good thing as, if there was one now, I would be unable to participate.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!, it's gonna get real cold soon...I feel it in my bones!!!

I hope all of my Midwest buddies are snuggled in where it's nice & warm...I can't fathom 2* weather right now...but that's what it is somewhere out west and will be getting colder...Time to make some soups & stews...bake some bread too! who's kidding??? I don't bake bread although I'd like to try..Maybe I should check out the thrift shops for a breadmaker..it bakes the bread for you doesn't it?? (just joking)
QNS, it's to soon for decorating for Christmas...I put up my tree one week before Christmas..I do leave it up until the middle of January tho..but not this year...I plan on being down here then...DH just got home...We're going out for dinner tonite..later...H.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Hope Jeanie's having a good RV trip! I'm sure her weather is nicer than it is here....was 20° when I went to church sewing circle this afternoon. Love the heated seats in the car!
Yes, Honchey, the bread maker bakes the bread for you. I've gotten tired of buying $2+ a loaf for bread. Here's the recipe DH likes for my Black&Decker machine. Oh and I'm with you on the Christmas decorating philosophy.

1 egg
1/4 c water
3/4 c milk (been using buttermilk from my butter making)
2 T butter
3/4 t salt
3 c bread flour
2 T sugar
1 t dry yeast

Use the basic bread cycle (3hr 50min for mine). Recently I've used 2 small pullet eggs instead of one. Have replaced 2/3 c of white flour with whole wheat. This bread makes great toasted cheese sandwiches or Fr toast as well.

We tied 2 small and 2 larger quilts today. Brought one home to sew the edges on. I took in 4 little dresses for Haiti. An area MD and wife are heading there in February so we want to send several along with them. Several pillowcases were donated for these, but I've also cut out fabric for smaller sizes. We will be sending some layettes down as well. We get donated fabric; lots of it not very pretty, but we make do.

Took out from the freezer 5 large bags of meat--2 meaty soup bones and 3 large chuck roasts. Tomorrow I'll be getting meat ready for canning and then can it on Friday. Guess sewing is not on my list of to do's. I've been out of canned meat for a couple of months and really miss not having this "convenience" food on my shelf. Want to run a few pints up to our neighbors (elderly) for a couple of quick meals for them.

Better get organized for tomorrow. Have a great evening
Old 11-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Anne, you need a bread maker. I got mine at Costco for about $20 a few years ago. Like OK, I hate spending money on bread that we eat very little of; home-made never goes to waste (just to waist but that's a different thread). I've never used eggs in my recipe but I'm going to try OK's recipe. I also use my machine to mix dough for pizza crust and foccaccia because I hate kneading.

Good to hear from you, Carrie--busy as usual. W4Me--glad you're back with your neat Halloween blocks and reminding us of our FWS & Pony Club ride. Look forward to more blocks (no pressure LOL).

Last edited by janRN; 11-12-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM

I have a bread machine given to us by eldest daughter That never did work as well as the one I bought from Wal Mart. That I gave to youngest daughter...regrets on that. Love your recipe, Ok, will have to try that one.

Ok, do you cook your meat or pack it into jars without cooking it...raw...red...meat? I have some beef to thaw and can so we can eat without thawing out the meat...after I can it. Cannot remember what DGM did.

Rescue cat operation tomorrow; two hour drive plus each way.No back up driver. Everyone cancelled out, so we make the trip by ourselves. We will try to do it all in daylight hours. Depends upon the weather, too.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I sear raw meat cubes in frying pan; then transfer to a stainless steel kettle or big bowl to a 200° oven to keep warm while I get all meat seared. When done I transfer meat into jars. By then juice has developed from the meat which is usually enough to cover meat in the jar. If I'm short I use the broth I've cooked from the trimmed off bones which I have already cooked. Add salt, 1 t dry onion flakes and process in pressure canner or maybe some added parsley or celery leaves as well. Whatever floats my boat that day

I've raw packed before, but I had too much shrinkage. By searing before hand the shrinkage has already occurred.

Egg in bread improves the texture because it's a leavening ingredient.

Here's info from reluctant gourmet on what ingredients do to bread--additional info in for non bread machine breads

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/brea...g-ingredients/
Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 AM

Now I know what to post to get everyone to the table....FOOD

I love egg/bread.. Challah is an egg/bread and my "kids" love it..we eat a lot of different breads and sometimes it's as much as 3.50 a loaf. different breads for different foods. leftovers make bread crumbs from the Italian bread.. I tear all the other styles except rye for stuffing or bread pudding.

Browning(carmelizing) meat always adds more flavor to the end product.. I learned that when I worked in the restaurant..eons ago
Good to hear from all of you...I will be doing some sewing today...pick a project and work on it...I'm going to BINGO tonite..last time I played I won a door prize of $20 to use the next time I play...Bob will be playing golf this afternoon..don't have to cook tonite..He'll bring me some clam chowder from the local Seafood Hut to the VFW Hall..That's where they have Bingo on Thursdays.
Time to check my emails then to the sewing room...Have a good day all..H.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Hi, My sister is traveling to the Harrisburg, Pa area for a convention and she said it's snowing like crazy..Bundle up Jan...she's heading towards your neck of the woods...