Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM

I'm taking a break and checking the threads I subscribe to...been busy all day..I washed my last pot after dinner tonite and don't plan on cooking for awhile getting things put together to go in the car tomorrow afternoon..

Dentish told me today that xrays of the $$$$$ tooth that was fixed is doing fine so far...I'm thinking about how much fabric I could have purchased with that $$$$$...I need to use up what I have..at the rate I'm going I need to live well past 200 yrs.. Oh well, time to get off this cp and do some more..H.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 PM

It was a great day in DM; finished with appt early and made it to Barnes and Noble for 30 minutes and on to the fabric store. My eyes were very blurry But I found good help at the bookstore and at the fabric store. with their help and help of Quilter 65, I came away with enough to make up the five quilts with the patterns I had on hand to use. Its very exciting to think about. Simple, but beautiful. Half of the fabric was on sale, end of the bolt, so I saved even more that way. Will not get back to DM until July, maybe June, so I am well supplied now. Very pleased at the selection. As Quilter 65 said, "The heck with the food and lunch, I'd rather be shopping in the fabric store"...so no Red Lobster today, just a quick stop at Casey's for a sandwich.

Beautiful sunshine and warm day; hopw everyone had a great day.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:13 PM

Sounds like you had a fun day, QNS. Rained here most of the day--it's starting to melt away some of those ice bergs pushed against the curb by the plow. It's warm and tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. It's amazing how a little sun makes you feel so much better! Enjoy those new fabrics, sounds like you're going to be very busy. I have 3 more 4" blocks to make and then I can start assembling my QOTS minis into a top. Then to figure out how to quilt it. (Unless my quiltersADD kicks in and I start another project LOL).
Old 03-12-2015, 01:41 PM

OK, where o shere are you, hope you see this one...

Old 03-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Hi all...up in North country with the Grands..I should be asleep as the alarm goes off before six to get them on the road for school by seven. Kids went to HS BB game tonight, (family friends took them to the game), team lost in tournament play so they are done for the season.
Meanwhile in Kansas City and the Big XII Tourney, the Cyclones won by a buzzer beater...never had the lead until the last second.
Had the whole day to myself..got a table runner made with rwb fabrics, wrote a bio for Mrokfarmer, took a short nap, worked on a small quilt and then watched that nail biting game. While waiting for kids to come home, I got the little quilt sewn except for the outer border.

QNS not only do I want that lawn mower but I wAnt that cow. I hate mowing lawn..This model would be the best thing since sliced bread....

Have a safe trip, Honchey.
Jan, the rain will make those icebergs disappear in no time..I'm anxious to see your little block project..don't you love it when you told back the seams and see nicely matched joining.....

Ok gotta go to sleep.....
Old 03-13-2015, 05:11 PM

Grrr-did you ever have an idea in your head on how you want to put your blocks together and then it just won't translate in reality???? I wanted to put my mini-blocks together like a 9-patch: small sashing between the blocks, join 9 of them together then sash around that as a single block. It worked in my head!!! For some reason it's just not working. There are so many seams around the outside of the blocks that I can't get the narrow sashing to lay flat, there are lumps at the seams or points of the stars. Worked on them all day, threw in the towel at supper time and now I have to rethink things. Hate it when a plan DOESN'T come together. Hope everyone else had a better day than i had LOL!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Jan will it help to press the seams to where they want to go rather than to the dark side...if that's what you are doing. How about lightly sprinting the seam with water,then press. Let the steam and heat do the work. Then while it's still warm slip the block under something heavy like a book, a pressing block if you have one. After it has cooled down see if that has helped. I've been using this technique with my little 1 1/2" 9P's.

Watching Cyclone BB.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:12 AM

JanRN I hope a good night's sleep put an idea in your head that will work. I find many solutions will come to me if I sleep on it...and pray a lot.

Its a wonderful weekend, hope that it is wherever you all are. Enjoy today, it will be gone tomorrow and not return. So smile and enjoy the moment.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 AM

OK, thanks for the suggestions--your blocks & sashing always lay flat so I appreciate your help. I press my seams every which way, never follow the "to the dark" rule, I just want them flat. I tried to attach a pic here to show you my problem but I can't get it to load from my Iphone so I hope you don't mind I emailed it to you. I'm sorry I'm such a PITA but I value your opinion.

QNS, the only thought that I had (and I always plan or think about quilts) when I was falling asleep last night was maybe I'm letting my needle drift when I come to those bulky areas. Haven't been to the Bat Cave yet today but I think I'll be more careful when I sew over the bulk to see if that makes a difference. Seam looks straight tho so I don't think that's it. Or maybe once there's batting behind it it will look flat. Hmmm.

Tons of rain here today, my yard looks like a mud swamp--but at least it's not snow!!! Lots of flooding and ice jams in area but it's supposed to cool off so that will slow the melting. Hope everyone is safe & doing something nice today.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:10 PM

JanRN, where multiple seams meet, in the center, I stop sewing at 1/4 from the seam. or rip out two stitches and it lays flat. I did a tutorial on that last year with the 50 stars and posted it there. Carrie thought it was a good illustrated version of it laying flat. Had to be at the first of it because I only did four or stars, I think.

Honchey, where o where are you? Safe and sound, I hope.