Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Anne that's absolutely the only thing I can do in EQ but I love it and think it was worth the price. Anael taught me how to draw my own blocks, too.

Sewbizgirl, please tell us what you bought! I spent so much at the Expo a few weeks back that I thought we'd be eating Ramen noodles for weeks LOL!!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

You girls are having way too much fun seeing and buying all those pretty fabrics.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:07 PM

I've just come back from Kentucky. I might have gone to Paducah and seen sewbizgirl (I hope you show us what you got! Or show some pictures you took there), but I don't have a lot of fun walking and standing a lot. My knees give me trouble. Quilt Week is the sort of thing I might like to do with my sister, who is patient with me-- but I'd gone to KY with my husband and he's a fast walker so I don't think Quilt Week would be the thing to do with him. We went to Lexington and saw some horse races. He brought his lap top because he had some work to do. I brought my sewing machine so I'd have something to do in the motel besides watch tv in the evenings while he did his work.

I got a kit on sale online at Craftsy of Kaffe Fassett fabrics that's called Hedge Maze. The pattern was really big triangles, mostly HSTs, and it was quick to cut out and quick to sew. I have only the border to put on it now. I thought instead of ending with the 2" border all around from the kit that I'd use the leftover scraps also for another border. I will like to have the top bigger too. So I cut the scraps into strips and will make it the piano key style of border. In the center I substituted a blue floral for the one from the kit as I liked it better. I think that print is by a different Rowan designer.

Funny joke, QNS! Nice to be home again and read everyone's notes here. :-) I hope to get back to the FWS blocks tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails kentucky-prize2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Sewbizgirl, please tell us what you bought! I spent so much at the Expo a few weeks back that I thought we'd be eating Ramen noodles for weeks LOL!!
I'm back at my daughter's in Memphis now... with a car stuffed to the gills with fabric! Shopped at Hancocks of Paducah and Quilt in a Day probably three times each!

What I bought was mostly fabric, tho I did get a few books from the "hurt book" sale. All books were $5 each. I also got a couple of patterns for quilts that have hand embroidered blocks as part of the design. They are very retro looking... great with the 30's fabrics. I got more 30's fabrics, civil war fabrics, kids fabrics for quilts and I Spy quilts, and some nice fabric for shirts for myself. I also bought some pretty batiks to make a couple of tote bags and smaller zipper bags. I have too many ideas! Now I have to find the time.

Mostly I just had a ball walking the town and seeing all the sights. I found the best restaurants for lunch, and coffee... Paducah has some yummy food, especially at Kirshoffs Bakery! The quilt show was inspiring... so many wonderful quilts. I had the most fun time.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

Givio, I'm sorry you didn't get to the quilt show. I saw so many women with weight and joint problems, and I don't know how they managed... the walking and the crowds were really challenging. I loved it, but if I had joint problems I dont think I would have. It's a good sized town and the quilty stuff is strung out from one end of it to another. Parking can be a problem so it's best just to leave the car in one spot and walk everywhere all day. I hope I burned enough calories to offset the lovely cookies I ate from Kirshoff's Bakery. Or the strawberry shortcake!

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them sorted out.

Funny thing: I bought the same kit as givio and have made that same quilt top recently!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 AM

Wow. That is quite a trip, Givio, and Sewbuzgirl! Not one but two of you we get to enjoy the tales from and see what fun and things you gals did! Double the fun! What a great quilt Givio; and Sewbuzgirl bought the same one! More productive than me at home....I got four blocks done of the Floral Irish Chain, now to figure out how the four are sewn together to keep the pattern going the right way....tomorrow I will talk to Quilter 65 and she will set it straight, I am sure. Very anxious and excited about tomorrow's class.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:11 AM

Pretty quilt, Givio; can't wait to see what SBG does with hers. Yinz make such pretty, bright quilts--mine are all dark. Hmm--what does that say?

Got all my sashing strips cut for FWS 1930s. I need 240 (I think LOL) and I had enough fabric for 232!! I had enough small pieces that I was able to sew those together and get the last 8. I think I'll wait til tomorrow to cut the cornerstones--my thumb and pointer finger are killing me.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

JanRN, have you already finished all your 1930's blocks? Wow. Can't wait to see your quilt.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I've posted pictures of the quilts from the Paducah show in 4 seperate posts, over in the pictures section. The board only lets you post 10 photos per post, so I had to break it up. Go on over to pictures and take a look at the amazing quilts I saw!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Sewbizgirl I went over there and seen all of those amazing quilts. You must have had such a wonderful time taking in all that eye candy.

Girls I will be posting my current two blocks tomorrow that will be on time for once. lol..but, I regretfully must announce that I won't be active in anything on the board for a while in any swaps or anything other than reading what everyone is making and maybe a hello. I might post something on the picture area if I get something done at home I might be working.

I have learned so so much in the short time I have been sewing along with you wonderful talented girls. Right now we have so much going on with health issues, other family issues, and even financial issues. (who doesn't have those)lol.... I am so thrilled that I have learned to (paper piece). Still learning to improve on my y-seams, but it's fun to learn and work on new things. I will still be working on my little blocks to finish a queen size quilt for me and hubby.

We just got back from my dad and mom's house. Dad won't be back there again. I think someone has ransacked the house when everyone was gone. So we are dealing with that too. I did find mom's sewing machine. She had gave me one before she passed away, and dad gave me her serger after she passed away and later one of those little sewing tables with the side drawers that is all wood. I gave the serger to my daughter in law, because I didn't think I would use it, and she was also close to mom. I also have my own machine so now I have 3 sewing machines. I also got a couple of mom's big hoops for lap quilting. It is hard going through a parents things. I know some of you have been through that.

Dad is getting weaker in the nursing home, even though he still has good weeks too. My one sister is going to need extra help now after breaking both of her feet. Her husband passed away a few years ago. My husband has worse health issues, and he insisted on getting me the FWS 30's quilt Book. That is how he is. He also has looked at all the pretty blocks everyone has made. He is very supportive, but he needs my help more too.

All of the above has already been going on, but then we hit a hole in the road with a bit of a financial thing out of the blue. No fabric buying for a while. lol....

Ok, on to better things. I hope all of you show pictures when you finish your quilts. I can't wait to see them. I still love going back and seeing the past blocks. Someday when I get mine done, and put together in a quilt, I will put up a picture. I don't think I have enjoyed anything on the quilting board as much as I have joined this quilt a long.

This is Monday, so have a great weekend everyone!!!!!