Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 AM

Mirabelle--I would be very frustrated as well!! We have some of those types of things we deal with at our retreats. My friend and I organize there retreats (March and October) and we don't make money on them. We just ask that people help with ONE meal throughout the weekend...this includes helping to bring food, prep, and clean up. It is hard to get people to sign up for a food item (I am talking about a loaf of bread or some fruit...nothing big/expensive). Some times people just sit around during "their" meal and let others in the group do their work. Yet they are always happy to eat when it is time.

I like how you "stretched" the runner with partial blocks! What a great idea!!

Today is the day though and I really am looking forward to it. I leave in just a couple hours. All is packed. MIL is coming out to keep an eye on the kids while DH is at work today and tomorrow so I don't have to worry about what they're up to, the house will be clean and laundry started before I go (should be done by the end of the day!) and I get to spend several hours with BF shop hopping before the retreat starts.

I do have to have surgery. No date set yet. Probably early to mid November. Doctor says at least 2 months recovery time. I am going to think 3, then if it is less I will be happy. It will be hard not to sew or do a lot of other things I like to do, but in the long run I will not have the tendon rubbing and the pain will be gone...as long as I let it heal and don't do anything I shouldn't too soon!!! DH and I are going to plan some meals for the first couple weeks and do some prep stuff ahead of time. He enjoys cooking so that is nice, plus the kids like to cook too if they know what needs to be made. No one likes dishes, so I think that will be the only fight as far as chores to get done.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Good Morning!

Thanks MiraB ... and yes, I am feeling somewhat better this morning. Still a way to go, but I am much happier! Finding your 1/2 made kits back into the scraps would have really upset me too. I know I could not have been anywhere near as diplomatic as you were. I just can't imagine anyone doing that ... rather than leaving them at home and saying, oh, haven't done it yet. ggrrrrr!!!!!! Your slash a stash method is the way I did that brown Autumn Windows one. Was kind of FUN at the time ... it was all on the straights, but no reason why they could not have been on the angles. Your bright colours are going to be so nice and cheery in the rooms. I'm already wondering what your quilting style will be for these! hhmmm ... so that makes 3 sets and am I wrong in thtinking that your group only committed to 9 sets? Of course the question ... have any of them even started? OR are they expecting you to do all 9? more ggrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

CarrieM ... Why can't people do their "fair share"? And then there are others that will go overboard and do far more than you have asked. *sigh* SOME people ARE annoying at times! Try to look past those ones this weekend, and appreciate the ones that go the extra mile. Sorry about your operation ... but delighted that they are going to do it so soon for you. You are a good organizer, so I am sure that once you are back from your retreat, you will go into full planning mode and have everything ell in order for your "down" time! Maybe time for a dishwasher, instead of the humans?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 AM

Anael...thinking and praying for you and yours.
QuiltE...hope the nights sleep got you back on your feet. Those sudden onslaughts of chills etc can really upset plans!
Janie...is your sinus infection clearing up? Those too can almost stop living until they are gone.
Carrie...sorry to hear about the needed surgery but it sounds like you have already made plans and have good family support. Enjoy your retreat and don't let the slackers get you down.
Mirabelle...good for you! Somebody needs to keep people accountable even when it's uncomfortable to do so. BTW...I love your latest quilts. You are so very creative. How is your shoulder? It doesn't look like it's slowing you down at all!
JanRN...have they found a replacement for you? That was a very short retirement!
Dubib...do you suppose that a good arch support would make a big difference for your back? Funny how you found relief at the door sill. Thanks for the laugh.
Today I hope to finish putting the borders on my scrappy patchwork. It's fun to have a quilt go together so fast! Then I will pull out the next SYE patterns and work on them. I'm considering using this quilt for shows this next year. So far the piecing is acceptable. Now if I can get the Y seams to cooperate! Have a good day all.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

GGal ... Thanks and yes, much better and hoping to spend some time with my machine today, to help me feel better! Isn't it nice to do a quick finish quilt once in awhile. You're a good sewist, so I'm sure you will have no problems in doing those y's when the time comes. Besides, you have nice large sides to work with, which should make it easier.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

White frosting on everything this morning. I guess fall is here!
Hope surgery goes well carrie. Relief is in sight.
Lovely stained glass window effect mirabelle.
Hope Bram's better.
QE rest is always a good cure all.
GGal your SPIKE is absolutely lovely! I haven't commented on the pages but I do follow.
This chick's gotta run. Must go and make a couple of pies to take into church dinner tonight and work at 3:00. That's all folks!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:20 AM

OK, I received my MINI book yesterday..YAY!

Carriem, It will be a struggle for awhile and I know you'll be happy after you're all healed up!! Have a good time at your retreat...

Anael, hope all goes get better well with Bram & family..You too!

QuiltE & DD, get better...steam, steam, steam...it breaks up the stuff in the head

I'm sewing my MB today..cut & pinned it yesterday at work...Learned a new step with the new embroidery machines...They are all so high tech now...My 3 yr old top of the line is now almost passe'...I don't use it very much anyway...I work again on Saturday all by myself...I'll have alot of fun then...When the boss is away!!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

After that MB gets done start on those scraps. I want to see a mini! Oh I'm starting to sound like a certain Canuck!!
Just checking in--I have pies in the oven as well as two out and a couple of crusts for lemon meringue. Can't burn then now that I have them this far!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM

OK, does it make a difference in doing the kaleidoscope pattern, which way the fabric lays, straight of grain/bias?
I'm not experienced that much with working with small pieces..I think the seams would also give strength so that they won't distort after removing the paper...Yes, these are pp'd... although I did make some 4" crumb blocks...Hmmm..where are they????
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Here are the pictures as promised. The first is my Aiming 4 Accuracy completed flimsy. The lighting doesn't do the colors justice. The second is the scrappy patchwork that had been lurking in my drawer and jumped out this week. I love how the sashing is only on 2 sides so it gives the entire quilt a different look. It goes much faster that way too. [ATTACH=CONFIG]441733[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]441734[/ATTACH] The second one is intended for my DH's DGD who just announced her engagement recently. I didn't make them a fancy heirloom quilt that will go in the closet because it's too nice to use but rather one that is intended to go with them wherever they live and have fun...beach, bedroom, patio, car...you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01488.jpg   dsc01490.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 10:52 AM

GardenGal, those are 'purty' indeed... Colorful, bright, cheery and perfectly made. Love both of them. Your DH DGD ought to love hers; it is so perfect in color and design...great job!!

I thought I would do my MB block today, cut it out yesterday, but Murphy's Law came calling. So I used the ripper again and again...almost finished, then Murphy's Law raised its head again. Sigh. One fourth off on last two sides. The bias of the pieces may have stretched things a bit. Try, Try again. Or change patterns.

Sorry, Honchey, I have not done the kaleidoscope pattern, although I do have a book on it and the ruler. Sewing is getting to be quite a challenge, but will try to 'carry' on....until my surgery and hopefully, see better after that.

Thinking of others facing up to their problems as well, hoping the best for each one. Of course, with Anael under going treatment for kidney stones, there is no judge to send the finished block too for judgment...those are so painful, I hope she is doing good and will start feeling better real soon.