Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM

I love the black fabric with the stars but would put it with the brown group of fabrics in the last pic and not use the blue that's on top of the small flower print. I would try to find an nice beige on beige instead of the flowers. But that's just me!!! Please don't take offense at my rearranging your choices!! I think any you chose would look nice. I just love what you're doing with the 50 Fab stars--those patriotic colors are so perfect for this project.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM

I got a pretty purple MB today from Jeanie...thank you so much!!! I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a group picture since I am in for the night.

I was able to get a little sewing in today (probably over did a little, but...) I used a jelly roll half of 20 strips and did a "mini jelly roll race" quilt. It wasn't square so I "fixed it" by adding the vertical strips before the border...what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails jeanie.jpg   007.jpg   009.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 02:40 PM

QNS what a beautiful selection of Stars you have, love them all.

As to your fabric choices I really like the browns and roses, as you are already working on a red white and blue I would go for another colour way. I am sure whatever you choose will be perfect for that project.

We have awoken this morning with lots of controversy on the news, apparently the weather bureau is getting a lot of flack for their inaccuracy in predicting where the cyclone was going to reach landfall, also its intensity and the fact that for 5 hours they gave no updates. A city south of us was given no warning and they received almost 20 inches of rain. We really rely on the bureau during these months.

Will take a pic of the Kaliedoscope quilt and post it today, I am really happy with how it turned out.

Now to do some housework and then I can spend the rest of the day making my February blocks, all 23 of them
Old 01-31-2014, 02:42 PM

Carriem we were posting at the same time what a beautiful MB to go with your others. I really really like what you did with your mini jelly roll quilt. It has taken it from plain Jane to spectacular, well done.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Jan like your suggestion for QNS! I think the turquoise and red group you need a little more variation in scale in the blue colors especially the two on the right which look almost alike. The repetitive flower shape in the red and the blue on the left are spot on.
Carrie--great block! I can envision it among the others without a group shot!! Take care with that elbow/arm.
Ham and potato soup recipe, she asks. I'm a serendipitous cook--what ever's on hand is how I cook. So last night took some ham hocks out of the freezer and started boiling them in a 4qt kettle. Took some of the meat off for DH and my supper salad. Let the meat/broth simmer over night. This morning I took the hocks out and deboned them and set the meat aside. Then I threw in some celery stalks (leaves and all), potatoes, onion and then it dawned on me I had a qt bag of frozen kale in the freezer too. It broke up so easily as I crumbled it into the broth. Later I put in some milk. I made a flour/milk paste to help thicken it, added a little nutmeg. Shortly before serving I add the cut up meat and then serve. It will stay on the stove most of the day simmering. Later I'll put it in 2 quart jars and refrigerate and DH and I will eat it during the week. Sometimes I will freeze the soup for a quick meal at another time, but soup with potatoes don't freeze well. I could have added frozen mashed potatoes if I would've thought of it. I did that to some chili earlier in the winter which adds some "umph" to the chili when you use extra broth or tomatoes in the basic chili. Then top the bowl with shredded cheddar.
Avery (4 yo) wanted to bake this morning so she helped get a loaf of bread ready for the bread machine; then we made chocolate chip cookies. DH loves it when she gets in a baking mood!
I've been Suzie Homemaker enough today to last me for a week or so as I also made some bread pudding. And cooked a chicken in the oven before the cookies. Will now have chicken to make several meals. Oh it's so much easier cooking for 2!

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-31-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Carriem, Qns, lots of eye candy your showing...Now I know what to do with a couple of black, yellow, white print jelly rolls I picked up for next to nothing..thanks for showing Carriem. Your MB is very pretty...
QNS, I agree with Jan..the black with the brown brings about a deep richness..love that combo...
OK, have you ever done the hocks with sauerkraut, couple of potatoes & a handful of Limas? My Mom used to do that with Pigs Knuckles....the meat from them is so tasty!!!
Qns, I almost forgot, Your stars are awesome...they turned out wonderful!! You certainly have been busy!!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. I sent JanieW an email with a mock up of 'all stars' and going to rearrange the other groupings via everyone's suggestions of losing 2 of the turquoise and moving a brown or two over, and maybe putting in a light beige with the roses or losing them..will see. If I steer this toward DH nephew and his wife, I will drop the roses...the red flowers with the turquoise is more 'manly' to me. Tomorrow is another day.

Carrie, loved your 'eye' candy. Honchey, the only times I can remember DGM using pig's hock was with northern beans. And large lima beans were always Butter Beans when she cooked.

We did get some snow; nice tracking snow to see where the ducks and guineas ranged out too....not very far. DH says he got most of the fowl in the Hen house tonight...our power bill was very high, coupled with the propane we just bought for the rest of the winter means no FART trips this month. Or next. At least, animals and us are very cozy and warm and we feel blessed and lucky for that.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 PM

I"m so sorry ya'll that I haven't been here for a bit. My DGM fell & broke her hip. That was Wed. She had surgery yesterday evenin'. I have had my computer here but have had a hard time gittin online. I was able ta git on ta my other forum yesterday but couldn't git on here nor receive my e-mails. Taday I got my e-mails & & was able ta git on here but cannot git on ta my other forum. LOL I'm takin' night duty so days are spent recoupin' from the all nighters. I sure don't trust the hospital ta take care o' DGM w/o someone here & I don't want my DM ta stay here at night either. She needs her sleep. I'm not happy about the fact that the Physical Therapy people didn't come taday. The Dr. ordered it but they didn't even contact the nurses ta say why they didn't come. We'll know tamarrow.
Originally Posted by QuiltE;6542204
[B
DublB ... [/B]did you check your Junk Email Box? Sometimes they deflect there. You mentioned your PC ... how is it coming?
Thanks QE but yes I did check my junk e-mail box. Nothin'. I guess I'll have ta contact a moderator. Can't right now though.
My Mac is doin' great I asked DH ta help it 'cause it was runnin' real slow & he did!
DH also got me an old PC for my embroidery machine but hasn't got that up & runnin' for me yet. I can see embroidery designs in my future!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 PM

OMG dublb - I am so sorry to hear about your DGM's fall. A broken hip at her age takes forever to heal. How old is DGM??? My prayers go out to you and your family. It is always so tiring when someone is in the hospital, all the going back and forth so often. But it is so important that someone stays with her during this time. Surgery always makes someone so groggy the first few days, she may not know how to call the nurses station when she need help. Plus the reassurance that someone is always there for her is so important. Keep us posted!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

CarrieM and QNSue ... what lovely sites to see on this snowy (yet again!) day!
OKSGlad ... and delicious smells coming from your kitchen too!

My cauldron is brewing with a new batch of soup.
Such a good smell to come home to, after being out and about on another dreadful day!

MiraB ... the joke here is, listen to the weatherman and the opposite will happen! Though this winter and in particular today, they are bang on. No joke on your front, when you really do need the advance warnings when there is potential for so much rain, and of course, what that means.

DublB ... sorry about your DGM ... time to go back to your hexies? No techie I am, so others will have better ones, I am sure.

OKSGlad ... did you fire BobC?