Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Update Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Update Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Update Page

Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Violet, your quilt is looking beautiful! I love the feathers in the triangles. They showcase your blocks very well while adding great movement of their own.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Oh Violet, that is coming out wonderful! Love your quilting!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 PM

I received my Pony Club book this week, I'm all set to start our next adventure.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 PM

What type of fabric will you be using for this next journey?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
What type of fabric will you be using for this next journey?
I picked up some of the novelty fabric that Laurie listed on her Yahoo site (cowboy, horses, farm animals, bandanas - stuff like that while on vacation this year. I just got fat quarters and plan to use fabric I have on hand (hopefully).

For those who missed what she wrote, here is the Yahoo information she gave earlier:

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the question. I had thought someone would like advanced notice about the fabrics. I have to be gone most of this weekend, so I will give you a little information now, and get back to you tonight or tomorrow. I used mostly primary (darker) fabrics, with no pink at all. I tried to use stark white sparingly, and there is no common color theme throughout the quilt. (As you know, The Farmer's Wife didn't have one either.) You will need many SMALL scale novelty fabrics. I found horses/ponies, barbed wire, cowboy hats, lasso rope, saddles, little boys and girls with horses, horseshoes, bandana, etc. (Absolutely adorable, too!) There is also room for lots of plainer fabrics from your stash to go with these novelty fabrics.
I also used a dozen or two rather strange fabrics (at least strange until you read the letters) such as Christmas fabric and train fabric. I'll get back to you later about these. Thanks for the good question!

God bless you,
Laurie Aaron
Old 10-01-2011, 04:39 AM

Hi Anne
I have a fat quarter bundle called American Banner Rose by Minick and Simpson for Moda, I just can't see myself using novelty prints.
But now I am wondering whether or not to go with 1930's type fabric. I guess I have a while to make up my mind hehehe.
I have been reading the Pony Club book and a huge round of applause to Laurie for writing such a wonderful book. I love the history behind patchwork and quilting
Now I have 3 months to finish a few or maybe several ufo's so I had better get to it....
Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I've been debating whether to go the novelty route?
Or going with one colour theme, such as blues? or greens?
Or picking one or two staples to use throughout and add in whatever for a real scrappy look??

While the novelties would be cute, it means a lot of new fabric.
I'd really like to work on "bash the stash".

And then yesterday, I signed up for a monthly Mystery Quilt at my LQS!! Silly me!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM

With all the nice compliments I feel like I am really a "quilter". It still has a long way to go, but just wanted everyone to know I am still in there.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Violet, you're more "in there" than I am! I still have to set my blocks but haven't had much time for them right now. Am trying to finish two birthday quilts in the next couple of weeks (haven't you heard about how slow I am?) and then on to finishing at least four Christmas quilts. Did I mention what a slow quilter I am? :-) But, I do want to finish at least one of the twin FWS quilts for me for Christmas. So much to do! (sigh)
Old 10-01-2011, 06:11 PM

It's so good to hear from all of you! I went on the Blocks & BOM looking for finished FW pictures. This is the first thing I found and it has been great hearing about everyone's progress.

I have 70 blocks done, whew! After my summer fell apart and I didn't get many blocks done, school started. It's been 6 or 7 weeks and I think I'm in normal mode. I sure hope so. This past week I've done 4 blocks. I'm hoping to have it done by the beginning of next year since I have a week at Thanksgiving and 2 weeks at Christmas.

My hubby has been home on temporary disability for about a month. He's have feet problems and is not able to stand or walk far at all. His job is all walking and physical work. I told him he should take up quilting!

I can't wait to see the Pony Club! I'm feeling wishy-washy about doing it so soon after FW. I would like a break to work on some different quilts, but I love you guys and would miss not doing it with you!

I can't wait to see pictures of finished quilts!