Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
New Quilting Bee, July 2017 >

New Quilting Bee, July 2017

New Quilting Bee, July 2017

Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Thanks for the welcome, that goes to everyone!
This is so much fun. I just don't know how this happened, between a bunch of vintage sewing machines coming in to my house and now making quilting blocks. It sure shows how your interests change. I used to hate to sew, I had a good weaving friend help me hem the first curtains that I wove because I did not want to sew them. Now I am looking for things to stick under a needle! LOL
I can't say I ever hated to sew. I started wayyyyyyyyyyy back when in 4-H when you could join early and did things on and off including some of my kids clothes, etc. Now I prefer not to sew unless it has to do with quilting. The color combinations, the pattern selections, then freedom to just go with it and the challenge to see if you can even do it I truly enjoy. Yup, I have the quilting bug.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Fiber addiction

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
So nobody told you quilting is addictive? Yep, you will find in the best of times and in the worst, you will just need to fondle fabric! Janet
LOL - Just what I need, another fiber addiction! My entire loft and attached 10'×10' closet is filled with yarns - as in hundreds of of pounds - and weaving equipment. All of my vintage sewing machines have taken over what was a dining room, plus a bonus machine in my bedroom! Good thing I have an eat-in kitchen and a huge house

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576297[/ATTACH]

This is my weaving studio and that doorway at the far end leads to the stash room:-) If you like fiber, my house is kind of a fun place to be.
Attached Thumbnails 20170517_134759-800x600.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Whoo hoo!!! I made a 10 1/2" square block! Wow, it really does work out:-) Here is a catch-up block from January, Album Frame:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576298[/ATTACH]

I am thinking that I am going to stop using the black floral print. It just seems too jarring to my eye. Here are the blocks that I've done so far:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576299[/ATTACH]

Seeing them like that, the black floral is like a sore thumb. I might redo Auntie's Puzzle. What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails 20170711_111255-800x600.jpg   20170711_111426-800x600.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Wow, you are killing it! You are doing much better at "catching" up than I am, but I'll get there! I like your fabrics - but we'll see what the veterans have to say. Your learning curve has been very impressive!!! It is clear you are a very talented lady!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 AM

LOL - Just what I need, another fiber addiction! My entire loft and attached 10'×10' closet is filled with yarns - as in hundreds of of pounds - and weaving equipment. All of my vintage sewing machines have taken over what was a dining room, plus a bonus machine in my bedroom! Good thing I have an eat-in kitchen and a huge house

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576297[/ATTACH]

This is my weaving studio and that doorway at the far end leads to the stash room:-) If you like fiber, my house is kind of a fun place to be.
Boy can I relate... It's a good thing I live alone! I converted two bedrooms to a quilting studio with a stash room, and now quilting has overtaken my enclosed garage, that was to be a family room, and its filled with quilts and vintage machines. I do have a daybed in there, for very occasionally company, and if you really snoop you will even find fabric in the bottom drawer of my bank of drawers in the kitchen! Someday that, too, might make it in with my other fabrics...maybe.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful room with all the looms. i have been working on my blocks today. I might have to start over. I was trying to use up my civil war fabrics but i don't like the scrappy look it is giving me. I am the tpe that just likes using a few fabrics. Going back to sewing room and try something different. I joined late so only have July and June done. I can make potholders with them. Ok back to look at what I have.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Whoo hoo!!! I made a 10 1/2" square block! Wow, it really does work out:-) Here is a catch-up block from January, Album Frame:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576298[/ATTACH]I

I am thinking that I am going to stop using the black floral print. It just seems too jarring to my eye. Here are the blocks that I've done so far:

Seeing them like that, the black floral is like a sore thumb. I might redo Auntie's Puzzle. What do you all think?
I like it without the black. I especially like your blocks with white. It brightens up the blocks a lot. I am using 4 different fabrics too.

Last edited by annt59; 07-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576298[/ATTACH]

I like the paisley a lot. Just think you need to add more of the black like in the first block. That would break up the monotony of all the blue. Don't know for sure, but I think what you are calling black floral is the one showing up as gray? I like it in there. I like it a lot! Don't change any... Just add more of the solid black here and there. I would not be so bold, but you asked... and that's what I think! Stop second guessing yourself and go with the flow! Just keep those blocks in sight when you choose colors for the next blocks and you will see it all come together. Then when you get near the end if you see a block you don't like you can always remake it. You're doing fine! Janet
Old 07-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Thank You Barb for posting all the blocks!! I just joined and was able to get June yesterday and July today!! now to have them all is awesome. Looking forward to being able to make them all!! Hello Jayne you are officially newer than I am!! So excited to be part of this!!
Kaye
Old 07-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Tscweaves, you are really knocking them out! And, they all look great. Well done.