Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Well, we had Christmas this morning with the whole family and are putting my mom on a plane first thing in the morning along with my sister and her clan starting there long drive back. My grandmothers kidneys began to fail so my main hope is that she is able to hold on until mom can get there to say goodbye. They are giving her morphine to keep her comfortable. I just pray that she won't have to suffer too long ad I am told that the pain is unbearable. I guess those two wishes are a little contradicting though huh.

I think what I'm going to do is finish this quilt and then give to my mom my grandmothers memory. Any way. I will be able to catch up soon as with my house being empty with only DH and the kiddos. Maybe he will keep the baby happy so I can sew ( it might keep my mind busy to think of other things too). Thank you for all your kind thoughts as they are very appreciated.
Someone asked where in fl my grandmother is. She is in the panhandle in the city of jay. A little tiny city out in the boonies lol. Thanks again everyone and contests on what everyone has completed so far
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 PM

I have step 6 squares cut out. It's not using up enough of my scraps! But it's a great start. . . . . I love how it's all looking.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Brooke, I so sorry to hear about your Grandma. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

I'm still trying to get myself back together. 3 years ago I was entering my 17 year in a successful career working for a metro school system. I went from being an assistant in the classroom to being in charge of all student records, contact with many outside agencies. Then out of the blue, I became a cancer patient. I took chemo, had surgery, was HEALED!!! Only for it to come back a year later with additional bagagge. Nerve damage, short term memory loss, having to leave my job because I kept getting lost trying to get to my office.

I used to know who I was, now I'm just kind of lost. Not sure if I'm coming or going, just trying to keep my head above water. No worries, I'll get it all figured out. Everything just kind of reached a peak the other day when I had a mini meltdown.

I take Gabapentin/Neurotin for my neuropathy. It can have a depressive effect on the body. That on top of S.A.D., which I do take happy drugs for, sometimes I just want to crawl up in the bed and stay their. If it's dreary, forget it. Everything hurts more and the drugs don't seem to work. As someone suggested (fried brain, can't remember who), I do take Vitamin D. 4000 units daily plus a mini of 15 min of sun exposure without sunscreen (it's the only way to convert the Vit D into a useable form in the body. sunscreen actually blocks the conversion) Many people, especially women, have Vit D deficency. Low D has been linked to depression, obesity, breast cancer and several other diseases. I'm also on Oxycontin every 4 hours. It helps, but makes you feel like there is something crawling all over your skin. "The Junkie Itch", heroine addicts have the itch.

I'm going to talk to my Onc in January. I've been doing some research on the marinol. There is some information out there about it's effect on neropathy pain. It's not been approved yet, but I think I can get it on the grounds that I've got to take Previcid (daily) when it's only usually only prescribed for a month tops. Otherwise I end up with a very upset stomach. Plus lack of appetite. No idea why I have high sugar and a fat butt, I don't eat. I actually get hungry maybe once a day, but I HAVE to eat several times a day or my blood sugar numbers crash. I force myself to eat a poptart or a bowl of cereal. The marinol will help with that as well. I have partaken in the natural alternative, but my supply has been shut off and the smoke does a number on my asthma. I want to use the marinol and loose the Gabapentin (or take a MUCH lower dose) loose the Zanaflex, Previcid, Prestique. I may be able to get rid of the blood pressure and sleep meds too. I've got to keep the asthma meds. I hope to keep the Oxi too, for those days that are bad.

I thank you all for your kinds words, I'm good really. Lurchie and I are still in the house for now. We are waiting for our Bankrupcy trustee to give us the date, don't want to rush him!!

We have been spending the last couple weeks rounding up toys for the kids that come to the Pet Food Bank that we volunteer with. Here's a link to some of the pics from today. Can't wait to see pics of the kids opening their presents. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Grett … 8297431743

I haven't even looked at step 5 or 6. d the Got the table cloth done for my Uncle and finished quilt I was commissioned by my Aunt to make for her Granddaughter. I'm taking some time away from quilting myself, but I will be here checking in with ya'll. If needle and thread just happen to jump into my hands then so be it!!

Everybody have a wonderful holiday in whatever shape or form you celebrate it in.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 AM

"HUGS" to you all. Remember you ARE being carried. You're not alone. Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post

We have been spending the last couple weeks rounding up toys for the kids that come to the Pet Food Bank that we volunteer with. Here's a link to some of the pics from today. Can't wait to see pics of the kids opening their presents. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Grett … 8297431743

I haven't even looked at step 5 or 6. d the Got the table cloth done for my Uncle and finished quilt I was commissioned by my Aunt to make for her Granddaughter. I'm taking some time away from quilting myself, but I will be here checking in with ya'll. If needle and thread just happen to jump into my hands then so be it!!

Everybody have a wonderful holiday in whatever shape or form you celebrate it in.
CoyoteMagic, You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for all of the difficulties you are having. I don't have a right to be depressed when I am alone for the holidays, when other people have so many more problems than I have.

It is a wonderul thing that you all do for the pets and their owners. I buy dog food before I buy anything for me, so that I know will have food for the month for them. I took a rescue dog that was dumped on the interstate into my home, but I don't know if I will be able to keep him unless I find some solutions to his behavior. For being only around 9 pounds he can do a lot of damage. I am so spoiled with Molly, my little black poodle. She has never chewed on anything. This little guy chews everything, including door frames, the linoleum, and any kind of paper he can get ahold of. I use potty pads for Molly because she really hates the cold weather. I tried one with him, and he shredded it into little itty bitty pieces. I picked up some little bones at the grocery store, and I am going to see if he will chew on them and not my house. There has to be an answer. I did a lot of searching on-line, but really didn't find any helpful information. I will keep trying. He is so cute and sweet, but very destructive.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Just stopped in to say Blessed Holidays to everyone. May you all have peace in the New Year. If anyone needs a friend just pm me .

Carolyn islandwiz1
Old 12-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Sadiemae, there are potty pads that are washable. Also, someone put the regular ones under a grate so they couldn't be shredded. Look up potty training a puppy, there are a lot of ideas are out there for dealing with potty pads, etc. I've noticed that my pup is destructive when he hasn't had enough exercise. We can easily send him outside, but you may need to learn how to put yours on a treadmill or whatever moving object you can attach him too. A tired pup is the best company until he turns into a calm dog. My pup also likes the basted rawhide the best--older dog likes them too. Or, since your on a limited budget, is there a butcher somewhere nearby that could get you neck bones or something?

Brooke, those of us who have been through similar things with grandparents and parents understand your mixed emotions and know they are completely normal. I've been praying for your grandmother. I hope your mother makes it quickly and that you grandmother is not suffering.

Coyotemagic, way to keep your perspective. Hope you find some relief soon as well.

Anyway, we are off topic, but it nice to encourage each other. The Ohio stars are going to be lovely.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM

ok, my mom made it to FL in time to see my grandmother and I will be driving down with my father soon. Now that we have a plan I'm not so stressed out anymore. I love my grandmother but dont want to see her in any more pain, so I hope she passed quickly to be with her loved ones in heaven.

Back onto the subject that we should be on.... My DH is going to let me sew tomorrow!! Since we have already done our Christmas, I will be able to work on the orca bay mystery some more! I am excited to get back into the sewing room and do some work that doesnt use too much thought lol. I hope everyone here has a wonderful Christmas.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Has anyone but me had trouble getting those star points pointed in the right direction? The ones with the black corners go different direction than the ones with the neutral corners. UGH I really have to look at the photo each time to make sure they are correct. I am using the remaining wings on Part 5 as leaders/enders for Part 6.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Has anyone but me had trouble getting those star points pointed in the right direction? The ones with the black corners go different direction than the ones with the neutral corners. UGH I really have to look at the photo each time to make sure they are correct. I am using the remaining wings on Part 5 as leaders/enders for Part 6.
I just remember that the neutral triangles lay against my purple square(your red) in the neutral block. Then the brown triangles lay against the purple square in the brown blocks.(your black and red)