Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Wow a couple of you guys sound like you are getting close to your goals. Congratulations. I don't have fibromialaga or anything like that just getting old and a bum knee. But I do agree you need to either move it or loose it. I get stiff and my knee that has a torn meniscus and osteoarthritis feel so much better when I exercise. It is had to get started but is much better when I do. I was told the knee will need replacing some day, not yet. The doctor said I will know when that time comes. Exercise seems to help with so many things, I guess we should all do it. It is just so hard when there are so many other better things to do.
THe scale hasn't been moving like I want it to but it has moved. I have lost inches. None of my capris from last year fit. They are falling down I have taken tucks in the waist of a few of the smaller pairs but I bought 2 pairs today. I hope they will get me thru to the end of the school year. For the first time in many , many years I bought a pair of pant NOT in the plus size department. WOO HOO!!!!
I am going to the International Quilt show in Cincinnati Saturday. Can't wait. I hope I can control myself and not buy too much. Everyone keep up the good work at being losers. I am praying for everyones improved health.
Pat
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Nancia, I am also doing the McCalls mystery quilt. I just got started on it the end of March. The 1st part is done and was happily cutting out part 2 when we had to leave Texas in a hurry. It's packed away in a tub waiting for me. I would also like to do the craftsy bom but haven't figured out what fabric to use.
I just got a call about my blood work done tues. My cholesterol is a tad high so I am going to start on fish oil. Otherwise I am doing fine except this and that and the other thing. lol
My house is a disaster. I have been spending a lot of time with my friend whose husband died. Her house is in good order. I'm going to get a pot of stew on the stove and then go clean a bathroom.
I'm thinking about trying star fruit but the 2 they had in the store this afternoon didn't look so great.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Hi all, thanks for the good thoughts. I think the body's getting reset at a new calorie level has some merit. I'm looking at all aspects of what I eat and I found out I'm low on protein. I love salmon, could eat it daily so I'm planning on adding 2 more fish meals a week for 4 total. I'll do that for a month and see if I get jump-started on losing again. Didn't get into therapy pool yet this week. Gotta find a way to do that. That's my goal this month. Back on track with PT program. I firmly believe in the "move it or lose it" I have reflex sympathetic dystrophy and if I don't use my limbs they will wither and leave me in a wheelchair. Hurts but gotta move and make me do stuff. I crochet and knit and sew to keep my hands. And I "look" normal. Today at laundry a woman called me grumpy cause I'm not interacting w/her. If she only knew what I was dealing with to be able to do my clothes, she would have shut up! But can't see it so no understanding about pain. Not my job to enlighten her. All I wanted was the junk in the vending mach. cause I used to eat that stuff to keep my pain away. Didn't work but I thought it would. Now I know better so I had my ice water and read a book and ignored her.
I fell better when I take good care of me no matter what anyone thinks or says. I'm only responsible to me and how I deal with my pain is my business. It helps me get away from the folks who don't know and wouldn't understand. I got home and had a terrific taco supper - all low fat and healthy.
The best thing I've gotten from this season's Biggest Loser show is "no excuses". I use it all the the time to get me past problems and frustrations. I will stay on my food plan and work to increase my activities. I am going to reach my goal weight!!! No excuses allowed here!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM

pam-- did you leave the quilt in texas? i'd be glad to fly down there and get it for you! i really think olivia needs to see her grammy in person! oh, how i wish i could!! i have so much fun playing with her on skype. she loves itsy bitsy spider, the abc's and peek-a-boo. she just lights up when she sees me, and i'm pretty sure i light up too.she just gets cuter and cuter! she can stand for about a second, then prepares for landing, bump, right on her diaper padded bum! i just think she's so clever! not biased at all. sorry about your house, but i'm sure your friend needs you more right now. you are a wonderful friend to provide her so much support!

jlwheart-- invisible diseases are very difficult, i agree. it's why i hold doors for people, and try to be kind when i can. you never know what dragons someone else is fighting! i admit, sometimes my dragons are plaguing me and i have no patience. wouldn't it be great if we all were just nice to each other for no reason than to be nice. i've found that i really cheer up and feel better when someone is kind, even to someone other than me. it's like the commercial on tv, it spreads. it's certainly preferable to hearing someone call me an old fat so and so. well, i am old, and currently fat, and come to think of it, i do need to go sew and sew! lots of projects that need to be done! lol, guess they are right afterall! but i'll never let them know it!!

Last edited by nancia; 04-12-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 AM

Hi everyone It is with regret that I have to drop out of the April contest but hope to be back in May. I am still in hospital and will be for a while as I am going to have another openheart surgery for valve replacement. The up side is I lost 5 lbs in 3 days but it was all liquid. If you are interested I posted a blog about what I am going through I believe i tittled it please pray for me or something similar, Good luck to you all and May the only thing you lose this month is weight lol
Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 AM

Sassey, right now all you need to worry about is taking care of yourself. You can work on weight loss after you are back home and feeling better. Take care of yourself and we will be praying for you.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Irishrose/nancia....agree that getting up and moving is best.....even, up until Oct last year, worked full time. I have been part time since, but this economy is forcing me to look again for full time employment. The physical demands of nursing are tough, but I put everything into it and am not worth much after my shifts. I do truly love it though.. I am focusing this on being a positive...it will keep me moving. I have started using me Gazelle-started out ten minutes a day. Now up to 15min. Will play with length of time and frequency of time based on my pain. My motivation is not lacking. Still hoping to find a place for water aerobics. Sassy, just read about your troubles in Diaries section and you have my prayers. 5 years ago was a really long time in medical time. It is amazing the things that can be done for you! God gives us the ability to make these advances! Continue to trust in Him!

Last edited by alikat110; 04-13-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Sassy, my prayer is with you. I pray all goes well and you will be well and up and moving sooner than you expect!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Sassy sorry to hear about your surgery. My prayers are with you. I sure hope this fixes your problems.
I am going to the international Quilt show in Cincinnati tomorrow. I plan on packing a lunch since the food lines will probably be long and while they have good food I know I won't make good choices if I go near it. The weather is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow, in the upper 70"s. I will probably sit outside on a bench or the steps and eat. I am also hoping to control what I purchase. I think I have enough fabric right now to sew until I die. I do need some for a baby quilt I have been commissioned to make. I swear I am not buying any fabric just because it is pretty. It must have a purpose to buy it. I am going to try to meet up with a board member at the show. I think she is from Michigan.
Everyone have a good weekend.
Pat
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Pat, have a great time at the quilt show. I have been to a few and I know how fun they are. I am getting very excited about the quilt show I will be attending this summer. It is in Ireland in June! I've never been there so I am super excited. We are getting weekly emails about the trip which is just feeding my excitement. I don't think I will be buying as much as I normally would since it would need to fit into my suitcase. Although they may have an option to mail things..... I am signed up for 6 different classes and activities during the 3 day quilt show.