Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Irishrose, I am not strong enough to hop up the steps either. Both of my knees are bad and have been hurting too, especially the last 2 days. My right knee needs a replacement, but we will try those injections first. Not cortisone, tried that, it does nothing for me. Anyway, no hopping, it would destroy that knee!!!
I am not even 52 yet!!! I am coming to the realization that it is probably my weight that has destroyed my joints and my feet. I have been (well) over 250 for 17 years and I think it has taken it's toll. Right now, fully dressed and wearing my "boot" I am about 254. I think I have reached my goal of being under 250 but only weight in downstairs after getting dressed. I need to get my weight off before I do any more joint damage. The knees will need replacing eventually but hopefully I can prevent the rest of my body from falling apart. I feel so much older than 51!!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Greetings ladies!!!

The weekend went well. Daughter's bacc show was awesome. So good to see her. Lots of food and sweets - which I put together. But I ate very good. The shining moment was when she said "Mom you are looking awesome". Then I knew it was all worth while. Only had 1/2 glass of wine and one square of Sam's cheesecakes. So we left most of the food there. Brought some of the veggies, fruit, cheesecakes and Danger Bars home with us. Yesterday when I weighed, I was down a little from Thursday. So all that water I drank really helped.

Will probably be the last trip that Mom takes. Was really hard on her. Even today she's asking when I will take her home. Poor lady is really confused and that's where it's going to be.

Did go to 2 fabric stores and did some purchasing. Mostly touching. Some wonderful colors, but I didn't know what I would make out of them, so I left them there. DH is in Des Moines this week so I will be able to "putter" around the fabrics. Will be eating lots of salads also, as i won't have to do a lot of cooking.

Nancia, your mugrugs are wonderful. Haven't ever done one = in fact hadn't even heard of them until I became a member of this board. Might have to put them on my "to do list".

Cold day today - put a fire in the fireplace and it sure feels good. Mom is napping so I might work on finishing the mystery quilt before I drag out more projects.

Have a good one - treat yourself good.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM

jims gem-- i always do housekeeping chores- like deep cleaning- before surgery. that way the house looks ok and i'm exhausted so i no longer care what they're going to do! lol. i always figure i'll have lots of time to sleep while i'm knocked out! and they always have such nice drugs! versed is my favorite. it's instant amnesia. you take it and the next thing you know, it's all over. better living through chemistry. i wish you the best!
irish--i'm ready to play on sundays! just remind me! my memory day to day is a joke. but i love the virtual bee idea!! i was really disappointed i missed it yesterday. i have so much to do, and lots more i can do after those are done. hadn't realized having a lot of fabric would put real pressure on me to quilt. still, i love all the pretties! my dh has informed me i'm getting nothing for my b'day since i already have everything. maybe he'll get my car cleaned for me--that would be a great gift! his birthday is before mine and i haven't a clue what to get him either. then our anniversary..... lots of hugs and kisses this year! costs a lifetime and easily returned!
everose--congrats to your daughter and to you!! sounds like you keep on winning! it was 90 here today- i slept thru it- and it just seems so crazy it could be snowing there. i keep wondering if winter will start in august, or will we just cut it out entirely?! al gore is probably right!
time to get my day started. we're having burgers on the grill tonight, and 2 dogs are getting bathed! then some more sewing, reading and lolling about ( i majored in lolling in college). such a busy life!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM

Well, got my garden it!! Yea!!! Potted the rest of the plants that did not make it in the garden so hopefully they will survive for the next month in their pots. I made 3 huge pots of beans, Black, Pinto and Garbanzo. Divided it all up into smaller containers and put in the freezer. It's 9:20 and I am finally sitting down. The foot is screaming big time!!! Took some Vicodin but may have to take a second one. I think I did too much!!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Gayle, I'm praying for a successful surgery and a quick recovery. Oh, and also that your plants survive. You will need a good long rest after all the work you have been doing.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 AM

Unhappy After 50 yrs

We have lived at this addy that long,but in 2 diff houses,next door to each other.So,yes,it's going to be very diff.Also,we'll be moving from country to suburb of a city.This house is super close to neighbors & has almost no yard,compared to the 2 acres we have here.

Main reason for moving,is being closer to our DD.She lives with her hub & son just 7 miles from new place.Right now,it's 130 miles rd trip.We're getting rid of a ton of stuff.....but still have too much.Hope to move within a couple mos.

The economy/less jobs is everywhere.A friend's son hasn't found work & grad last yr as an engineer.

It's a diff world for sure!

QUOTE=Pam H;5145059]Way to go, Nancia!! They are super cute!!
Boy, Pat. I can't even imagine moving after being in a house for 50 yrs.
We certainly don't need snow today here in western Wisconsin but I guess we don't have a choice.
I've been slipping a bit with my diet and exercise. Yesterday was the first time I got in my 10,000 steps since I left Texas 2 weeks ago. I AM going to make it to a WW meeting this week to get me inspired.
I think my hubby is trying to make me crazy. After 6 years I have finally adjusted to my winters in Texas and even found a weekly quilt group that I am very fond of. His sister bought a house not too far from us so I would actually have relatives to do things with and I like her. He's not much for socializing but he would spend time with his sister. Now he is looking at a new job in the Twin Cities area. We would still keep our WI home and he would get a condo or apt. Darn it! I was actually looking forward to next winter.
On a happier note, my daughter is applying for jobs in our area since there are no pharmacy jobs in Madison. Can you believe this stupid economy has made jobs scarce for pharmacists? That is one field that I thought would always be in demand but they just aren't retiring since they lost their retirement savings in the stock market.
Well, that's not so happy either. I'll try to be more upbeat in my next posting.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Taboo Tues. This weeks taboo is a good for you food Lentils. I have never tried them. So everyone that has recipes please share.

PamS
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Hi all, I've got 2 lentil recipes to share.
Lemony Lentil & Pasta Salad
Dressing: 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 3/4 tsp salt, 2 tbls. olive oil, 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce & 1 garlic clove minced
Mix all together and chill til ready to add to salad.
Salad: 1 c dried lentils, sorted & rinsed and added to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & simmer for 15-20 min until tender but not mushy. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool.
Meanwhile, cook 1 c small shell pasta as directed to al dente. Drain rinse with cold water to cool.
In a large bowl combine pasta, lentils with 1 celery stalk thinly sliced, 1 carrot coarsely shredded (1/3 cup) and 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped.
Mix all the salad ingredients and pour dressing over. Toss gently to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
Serves 4 (1 1/4 cup) servings = 330 calories, 8 g fat, 48 g total carbs w/16 g fiber
2nd recipe is Wholesome Joes
3/4# lean ground beef
1/c cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup uncooked lentils, sorted & rinsed
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
6 whole wheat sandwich buns
In large skillet over med hi heat, brown beef w/onion & garlic; drain well. Stir in remaining ingredients except sandwich buns. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover & simmer 40-45 min or until lentils are tender. Spoon 1/2 cup mixture into each bun. Serves 6. 1 serving=290 calories, 29 g carb, 6 g fiber, 9 g fat

I often make the wholesome joes and measure out the 1/2 cup serving into little baggies and freeze. Then I reheat in microwave. I hope you all enjoy both recipes. Lentils are a terrific and cheap!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks
PamS
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM

ladies,

I have been asked for the theme of FQ's for the next several months. I ask when you send that you label which FQ is for what month with your screen name and month. That way I dont have to decide if several are close to the same. And since as of May 1st I will no longer have the PO BOX please PM for the mailing address.

May - anything that reminds you of summer
June - any combo of red, white and blue
July - shades of blue
August - fall colors

Keep up your hard work and looking forward to seeing who is our biggest loser.