Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl View Post
I will try eating the majority of my carbs in the morning and see how that works. I am definitely going to start drinking more water. I must cut out the liquid calories. *talking to myself out loud*

Missy

Missy, don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like your exercise may have gotten off track. If I don't work out I don't lose at all. Do you do any strength training? You don't need heavy weights-just something to give the muscles a little challenge. As we lose weight we lose muscle as well as fat and the more muscle you can retain the better your metabolism will work. Good idea to get off the soda wagon. I quit all soda except plain seltzer years ago. Regular soda seemed too sweet and the aftertaste of the artificial sweeteners in diet soda was awful. Plus testing has found neither is good for you and messes with your system. I do have a fond memory of drinking a "real" coke in my grampas kitchen when I was a kid. The stuff doesn't even taste the same anymore.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM
mim

when I lived alone I used to take my "attitude pulse" every week to make sure that I didn't start to fall into depression. It is so easy to do. I think we all get down -- and, for me, it was hard to find what was my "picker upper". I would go to an art colony shopping area to look at all the creative people and wares and come home with a brighter outlook. Or work in a flower garden -- mine or anyone elses. I helped an elderly neighbor with her flowers after she couldn't do it anymore.

My DH had a British friend who used to say "keep your pecker up" instead of chin up. She was a very proper lady and it cracked him up. It was during a very difficult time for him as his wife had ALS and he cared for her at home.

Mim
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM

Greeting Ladies!!!

Cool, wet Friday night. If it is same tomorrow, I'm going to put a fire in the fireplace. Irish, the rain is on its way to you. They say we might even have snow by morning. Glad now I didn't do any more in the flower beds than I did.

Made 3 batches of raspberry jam and jelly in last 2 days. Mom likes it without the seeds and then I made the rest into jam for the Christmas gifts on the reservation. Also cut a couple pair of pillowcases. For some reason no energy to sew. Hopefully tomorrow. Ordered a couple books - "10 Minute Blocks with only 3 seams" Can't wait to get them. I already have a project in mind.

The Statler Brothers were just on the radio. So love those songs. Had one of their songs for our wedding, "My Only Love".

My avatar is a baby quilt for DH's niece's baby boy (Nolan). The background is white with pastel dots. Then I used the blues and yellows from my stash. I used a pattern but modified the size. I made a larger block (can I ever just leave everything alone - NO). Don't remember the name but I will find it with my organizing.

DH brought home turkey chunks last night. Only one of the grocery stores in area have them in their deli. They are so good. I did have with salads, so hoping the scale is good to me tomorrow.

No I haven't been exercising like I should. I'm using Mom as the excuse, of course. I was walking every morning with a friend for a long time. Now I wait to see what Mom's sleep schedule is. I have been going up and down the stairs as much as possible and dancing around the room to the wonderful country songs. Yes, I'm weird - our daughter will be the first to agree.

Well so much for now. Hoping everyone is doing fine. Tomorrow is another day and last Sat of month. Can't believe it will be May soon. (I think I need some sunshine.)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 AM

The weather here is kinda lousy too. It is cold and raining. Some of our vegetable garden is in. My DH always rushes it. Our corn is almost knee high and the tomato plants have buds on them. The frost free date here is MAy 10 but he has to get it out early, he also has to cover it a lot. I didn't do the taboo this week because we have tons of lettuce in the garden and no spinach this year. OUr garden is planted at my DH shop and someone drove a truck over the spinach patch. We finally fenced his shop as we are tired of people stealing from there. He had some fence posts that he dropped off and was going to use the next week they were gone the next day. Also the gutter was falling down so he took it off to put back up it was also gone the next day. People steal from our garden something awful. One year we had 20 plants and were hardly getting enough to eat from them.
I have only lost 5 pounds this month so I guess the fat quarters aren't mine I will do better next month. At least the scale is going in the right direction. I am off to WW then to get a massage. I got a coupon deal for 3 hour long massages for $99. I am really enjoying them.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Hi all. I'm slowly losing the weight this month. I haven't exercised or gotten to the therapy pool this month. I'm down 3# so far this month. The good news is I haven't gained. Exercise has to be my #1 priority in my day or it won't happen! I did get the baby blanket stitched and it's on it's way to the new baby! One project completed. Now I've got a top for a 6 yr old girlie girl. I think I'll add lots of trims and make it special! Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM

I finally got motivated to do some cleaning. At least part of the house is clean now. The mystery quilt is coming along. I have all my blocks sewn together into strips and now just need to press them and sew them together. Hopefully I will finish it tomorrow if not tonight. We went out for Japanese food this evening. Yum! I had hibachi tuna steak. This morning I did my Richard Simmons video and then with all the cleaning I easily got in my 10,000 steps. Have a good night.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Well, I did it again, I somehow deleted the post I was writing...

I am sitting here waiting for my husband to get home. He has been gone since last Sat on business. I just got done picking up all of my little messes that I tend to leave laying around when he is not here! I did get some quilting in this week. After I finished the curtain for my friend I made myself a bread basket liner. I saw the tutorial on this board & have made them for everyone else, but I didn't have one! So it was my turn. I made a liner for another basket that I like to serve out of too. My next project is a wallhanging for my daughter's bathroom. I am going to make a big dresden flower out of some bright prints. I bought the background fabric for it this week. I have been on a self-imposed fabric buying moratorium this year. All have bought is that background & some black for the polka dot quilt I made last month. I have never been much of a "stash" person, but mostly buy for projects. Well, since I have been on this board I thought I should have a little stash since everyone else seems to! Now I feel like I should work on using some of it up. I have a summer quilt in mind for our bed. I have 7 yds of fabric that I bought when Bear Paw Quilts was having a sale for $3.49 & need one more to coordinate. So, that will be one thing I will buy.

All of our camping buddies were at the beach this week & since my husband was out of town we couldn't go. So I went up & stayed the night with our friends on Thurs. I took Flat Stanley with me & got some pictures of him on the beach. I have had fun with him & will mail him back to my great nephew on Monday.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

MaggieMay, it sounds like Flat Stanley had quite a visit with you. You really took him a lot of places. Your great nephew will be very happy.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Maggiemay MY class did Flat Stanley a few years ago. It was a lot of fun and the kids loved it. We had several kids who didn't have any luck with theirs coming back and they were upset. SO we let them be adopted by other students. I am in another school district now and it is low income with a lot of irresponsible parents. We would love to do it but are afraid of the response. WE feel like quite a few of our students are pretty much raising themselves. It is sad.
Everrose, yes it is tuff caring for an aging parent. I know it can really get you down at times Other times it is so rewarding. I took care of my FIL some when he got bad. He didn't live with us but we lived close and I was there a lot. My parents health is declining and we are trying to figure out what to do there. Dad will be 89 next week and mom will be 85 soon. They are still in their house but my dad is really draggin my mom down. He is driving her nuts. He criticizes everything she does. We go pick him up when we can to get him out of her hair. He has a knee problem and I have been making him walk 3 times a week. He whines about it but did agree the knee feels better since I have been making him walk. We only walk down the street and back. Maybe 10 minutes. I stop in on my way home from work. HE won't walk with mom, he tells me he isn't going he is too tired I don't accept no. Find some way to treat yourself, not food. I know it is hard to find time for yourself. Get someone to help you out.
I am looking forward to making raspberry jam too. Our raspberries are covered with blooms. We should have tons this year. Last year we were getting about 2 quarts a day. This year we should get more. The plants are growing like crazy. I eat them until I am nearly sick. YUM. I just ate the last of the frozen ones from last year.
Keep up the healthy eating. Good luck to everyone. I am looking forward to winning the fat quarters next month.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM

I bet you all have been wondering where I have been. Well I have worked way to much lately. Slowing that down. I have caused some injury to my ribs. they feel like they are broken and I am in worse pain now than I was right after surgery.

I am posting the new link for next month. I can't believe this month only has one day left. I will also be extenting the sign up until the 4th.

I will post the link once I get it posted.