Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: August Weight Loss

well done Pam!!

I have been reading "We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess" by Daniel Akst. I am finding it helpful in understanding the problems involved in gaining self control in our lives. Here is a quote I found helpful..."immediate rewards, with their great visibility, are always more seductive than those far off in the misty future somewhere (which is why foolish actions are often called 'shortsighted')".

Interesting, sewbeeit42. Thanks for passing this along, I may look for this in the library. When I read the quote I immediately thought of my sons, being young and impulsive. But it also applies to me!

Good morning. It's quiet on here, ladies. I have fallen off the wagon and am trying to get myself back into the groove.

In the meantime I have had time to work on a little bit of hand work. It's nice to have the time to do this. Name:  IMG_0868.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  756.4 KB
    Sorry if I've posted this before. I'm big stitch/utility stitching this and then putting the blocks together. The big stitch goes pretty quickly, but I don't like the process of putting them together.

Have a great day, everyone.

Those are so cute, Cindy. I'm not "into" hand stitching - actually avoid it whenever I can. So, good for you! My mom loves hand stitching though. Applique and hand quilting and all that. Maybe I will like it someday.
    I was hoping to win a 30 day challenge I was in. I lost 7.2 lbs and 3.9% of my starting weight but the winner lost 10 lbs and 4.2% so I will be sending her $10. I think she will get $80 total. We are starting right into another 30 day challenge. I'm hoping a couple more of these challenges will help me get rid of my last 15 lbs.
    Busy days here. A wedding this afternoon and then tomorrow a BBQ which is still part of the wedding. My DD in France will be coming home (and bringing her BF) in a couple of weeks. Much to do to get the house ready for company. My hubby is a borderline hoarder so it will take some major work.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeeit42 View Post
    I have been reading "We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess" by Daniel Akst. .
    I got to the same place via FlyLady. What an eyeopener at what an incredibly foolish steward of our finances I had been.

anyway... 153 yesterday. I'm amazed.
    But the big news go look at this thread!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t251473.html
    I am just so happy. A nice change as mother gets crabbier by the day

September 10 is the move in date I have with the really lovely memory care facility. I hope we all make it.

Blog Entries
    Oh Kalama I am so glad for you that you have a move in date. I took care of my FIL for a while and it is so stressful. It get so much worse when they are crabby. We took turns taking care of him in his home. I usually did 3 days a week. Maybe they will move the date up for you. Good luck with your mom. We so need to take the time to csre for ourselves and we rarely do it.

Pam, congratulations! Good job!

Well this month is a busy party month for me and I've decided I'd do my best to hold my weight where it is instead of losing. When I stress over not eating what is served at a party, when I get home I eat everything I can get my hands on. I've decided to try a new tactic, I'll let you know if it works, of putting one bite of most things on my plate to taste and see what happens at months end. On the rest of the days I'll stick with WW guidelines. Wish me luck and a big GOOD LUCK to all of you on your weight loss journey.

You can do it silverfox!
    I was wondering the other day what a wealth of mind tricks we might all have. They usually wear out and won't work the second time...

Having a friend who has lost or is losing weight is always helpful.

From my 80's WW journey, taking exlax before weigh in. So sad really but in spite of being a well rounded program it is still about the scale. I'm not going there again, being a slave to the scale.

Have you ever nuked a green salad? I can't explain what it does, but it makes it different.

The first time I joined WW was in the mid-70's. I'd quit smoking and was clear up to 120... it's all relative isn't it?
    The only commercial diet product was diet soda...we used diet 7up in all kinds of recipes. and saccharin in packets.
    Eating liver was required and 4 eggs a week.
    That first time I went I ate a whole saltine stack of crackers before I left for the meeting. Never going to get to eat again, right?

Once in the 80's I thought I might use a gym. Remember when those contracts were like dealing with someone who'd break your legs? Fortunately all that shaking machines caused me to pass out, other wise I'd have probably signed up. Never would have worked.

My fitbit is my current mind trick. Why it is better than the standard pedometer I don't know, maybe because it is lime and stays put.

When Jane Fonda came out with the first exercise video I loved it. Bought myself two pair of leggings and body suit. I couldn't find any stripy ones like hers.. And of course feet of clay she has admitted she was using bennies to control her weight.

I remember in the 70's when you could go to a Dr. Woowoo and get them. A lot of my friends did. I never had the money or I'd probably have gone down that road too.

One of the hardest was throwing away food. Cake and stuff. I will though...
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 08-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    WW is one of the programs that has worked for me. I am planning on re-joining soon. That is the mind game that works for me. Something about someone else seeing that number on the scale works for me.I can lie to myself on the scale, not when someone else is recording it. All of my home programs just don't work for me. In my crazy mind the fact that with WW I can eat anything I want helps to keep me away from most of it. As long as I pay for it I can have it. I would like to get a Fitbit.
    The whole summer has been crazy at my house. I start back to school on August 26th. Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be less crazy. I went out to lunch with a friend last week. As we finished eating I got a horrible pain in my back and had to leave. I probably shouldn't have driven home. I ended up in the ER with a kidney stone. It has passed and I see the Dr today. Not going to do that again!
    I am hoping to spend the day tomorrow in my sewing room. I have barely gotten to sew for the last 2 weeks. I want to make a new bag. I finished up my projects for my guild meeting last night. I just need to balance the guild checkbook and I am finished.
    Everyone have a relaxing week. Remember to drink your water and to eat healthy. It should be easy this time of year with all of the fresh produce.

Thanks KalamaQuilts for the vote of confidence, I'll keep it in mind and remember when I'm about to reach for something extra.
    I also remember those days in WW when we had to use spaghetti squash for pasta! Being from Italian decent, that didn't thrill me, although it was good. I love the plan today because everything in the world is included as long as it is counted. I've been on the "Simple Start" plan since I started and lost 22 lbs. I hate counting points so I plan not to do that. When my weight loss comes to a halt I may consider trying it for the last few pounds.
    I had a party Saturday and tried what I planned, worked out well, Sunday I went light and now Monday I'm back on "SS". Can't wait to get on the scale Thursday, that's my weigh in day, to see how my plan worked. Keep up the good work girls and good luck on whatever plan you're on.

WW is working for me when I work the plan. I don't remember when I joined originally and became a lifetime member. Probably 15-20 years ago. Needless to say I did not stay with the plan, keep going to the meetings and keep my weight off. I have gone back a few times but did not get back to my goal. This time I will. The difference is that my daughter joined with me and she became a lifetime member so I now want to get back down. I have lost 32 lbs since mid January and have 15 to go. It shouldn't have taken this long but I really like my sweets way too much. Buying the WW activity monitor has really helped me be more active.

Blog Entries
    Please give me will power! It seems once I slip, I can't get back on track. I know I gained but will not look until next week when I am at the Doctors office.
    Am still cleaning my sewing room - what a mess! Am going through every little thing. Did not know I had so many kits! I really must not purchase anything for years! Giving away all my needlework supplies to the wounded warriors- several K's scroll frames, threads, patterns, etc as really having a hard time with the needle. Thank goodness I can still hold a rotary cutter. All my card making stuff is going to a friend who is teaching her granddaughters scrapbooking and card making. Haven't used it in years now watch next year I'll want to use some of the stuff.
    I will watch my snacking... I will watch my snacking.....I will watch my snacking.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Please give me will power! It seems once I slip, I can't get back on track. I know I gained but will not look until next week when I am at the Doctors office.
    Am still cleaning my sewing room - what a mess! Am going through every little thing. Did not know I had so many kits! I really must not purchase anything for years! Giving away all my needlework supplies to the wounded warriors- several K's scroll frames, threads, patterns, etc as really having a hard time with the needle. Thank goodness I can still hold a rotary cutter. All my card making stuff is going to a friend who is teaching her granddaughters scrapbooking and card making. Haven't used it in years now watch next year I'll want to use some of the stuff.
    I will watch my snacking... I will watch my snacking.....I will watch my snacking.
    Me, too, Pete. It's so hard to get back into it once you've gotten off track. I'll keep trying, though.

I also got rid of a lot of card making things this summer. I just don't have room for them and when I have free time I go straight to my quilting.

I'm making pesto now to put in the freezer. For a while my basil wasn't growing well but it's taking off now and I have enough to enjoy fresh plus extra to freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I went out to lunch with a friend last week. As we finished eating I got a horrible pain in my back and had to leave. I probably shouldn't have driven home. I ended up in the ER with a kidney stone. It has passed and I see the Dr today. Not going to do that again!
    I am hoping to spend the day tomorrow in my sewing room. I have barely gotten to sew for the last 2 weeks. I want to make a new bag. I finished up my projects for my guild meeting last night. I just need to balance the guild checkbook and I am finished.
    Everyone have a relaxing week. Remember to drink your water and to eat healthy. It should be easy this time of year with all of the fresh produce.
    Oh my goodness! I am glad you are okay. I hope you feel better, soon!

Blog Entries
    I saw the dr yesterday. He said some people get kidney stones, some don't. Not a whole lot you can do to prevent them. He said drink lots of water with lemon. My dad and brother both get them too.
    I have been behaving myself eating the past week. I went to put on my favorite shorts yesterday. They are elastic waist and I haven't worn them in a couple of weeks. OMG I could barely get them on. I was horrified. On closer examination I realized they aren't even my shorts. Not sure whose they are as I have never seen them before and no one has been here that they would belong to. Nothing like giving myself a heart attack.
    My quilt guild dinner is tonight. It is our annual potluck. I was thinking of taking a dish made with zucchini. It is zucchini ribbons instead of pasta. I am going to make some for lunch and if it is good I will make some for dinner. We have so many zucchini!

Oh, too funny...one of life's little jokes
    my laundry room is across from mom's bathroom and one night (dementia patients 'shop' in the night) mom put on a pair of Rob's shorts. It was 2 days before she'd give them up. This is kind of off color, but I asked Rob if any of his friends mother's in law had been in their shorts.

Holy cow did I go off the rails late yesterday. 2 doughnuts I bought for mom, 6 cookies, 2 Lindt truffles, 2 mini reeces cups. And I don't even like those...and popcorn for dinner.

Ok...fessed up. Have already walked and am at 4K steps. Have 3 of my waters in
    Hey, that is another of my little mind tricks. I drink hot water in a big mug. It goes down a lot easier than cold water and I like my hot drinks hot so get it down my neck pretty rapidly.

the 301A in the cabinet I got is going to a member in Twin Falls Idaho, I'm so tickled. She is in much the same boat as me, a long line of enormous stresses. she is bartering with 30's reproductions.

I think this makes me officially off the fabric wagon I've been on since 2001. donated shirts are still fabric incoming as is bartered fabric. I'm thinking I would have been basically out of fabric by 2016 so I think it's ok.

I've had another thread deleted...so won't say what my next hand project is...but it's huge

Just checking in - - I had to have emergency appendicitis surgery - - I will be recovering for the next 4-6 weeks.
    bjsmith57

Pat, maybe you brought the shorts back with you from Hilton Head. That's a funny story. I have pinned a couple of recipes with the zucchini noodles (zoodles!). Do you have one of those fancy appliances to make them? I have a little gadget that makes spiral cuts that I think would work. Wish I had some of your zucchini!
    KQ, I've been almost as bad as you with the sweets. Yesterday 1 doughnut, 4 cookies and a few pieces of twizzlers. I will be better today! You have not bought fabric since 2001? Wow! All that I have, I have bought since 2008 when I started quilting. Although I haven't gotten much in the last 2 years except when stores are going out of business.
    BJ, I hope you heal quickly.
    My sewing room is in a shambles. I had to clear off my counter top since I gave it to my daughter for her craft room. All that stuff is in tubs. Everything is moved around to let carpenters get to the window to put up new trim. I'm trying to find a table top that will work for a new cutting table. I plan to order several book shelves from Ikea to get everything organized. Wish I could just snap my fingers and have it the way I want it.

quick recover bj, been there done that, don't envy at all

Heal fast, bjsmith, sorry this happened but glad you're ok now.

Sounds like I'm not the only one struggling right now. We need to get back to good habits!! Why is it so much harder to get started than it is to get on the wrong path???

Do you all have Corner Bakery? I went there for dinner. I had planned on a salad and got there and had a chicken panini and tomato soup combo. The soup was not the creamy style and I'm wondering if that is what's giving me heartburn now. Plus, I had a large tea. Big mistake, that is keeping me up tonight. Too bad I don't have enough energy to quilt if I'm awake anyway.

I've got to start eating better again. I feel bad and the dr just told me she wants me to drop 40 lbs. It's been so long since I've been at the appropriate weight I had to ask her what my goal should be. I was able to add a few lbs to my old 'normal' due to age. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
    Sounds like I'm not the only one struggling right now. We need to get back to good habits!! Why is it so much harder to get started than it is to get on the wrong path???
    If it makes you feel better, I stayed up until midnight drinking wine and eating popcorn. And of course today I feel tired and want to eat greasy food. Oh well. Better luck next time. I am down almost 3 pounds which I guess is good, but it's not as much as I had hoped.

Blog Entries
    I have the following ladies signed up for August.
    meanmom
    pete
    bjsmith57
    PamH
    mateoh
    Teddybear
    Paatt
    sewbeit42
    KalamaQuilts
    CindyA
    silverfoxmag
    Purl
    nic14
    If I have missed anyone please let me know.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I have received FQ from the following:
    meanmom
    Pete
    bjsmith57
    mateoh
    Teddybear
    CindyA
    Purl
    nic14
    I think I have missed someone on the FQ as I have one more FQ than names. So please let me know if I missed you.
    I am making raspberry jam today. Our raspberries are getting ripe. This is my favorite fruit. I am eating tons. I made 10 jars a couple of days ago and have 10 more today.

Blog Entries
    Hi, everyone. I am a the library again. I need to get my computer fixed. I finished the circle quilt, but when I went to take a picture, my camera wouldn't work. I used my phone, but have never tried to transfer a picture. I will when I get my own computer running again.

Pam, I have two GSs who vomit if they cry hard. At 24 and 12, it's not an issue, but it sure was when they were young.

Still don't know what I weigh as I can't stand on the scales without the big boot on. 8 weeks down and 3 to go. My son bought me a three wheeler for Christmas, but it just arrived. It's a learning curve - it tilts when the street tilts, but it has been fun to get out and about. I am keeping one bike. I think I prefer a bike to 3 wheels.

Hope y'all have a good month.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast