August Weight Loss

Old 08-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeeit42 View Post
I have been reading "We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess" by Daniel Akst. .
I got to the same place via FlyLady. What an eyeopener at what an incredibly foolish steward of our finances I had been.

anyway... 153 yesterday. I'm amazed.
But the big news go look at this thread!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t251473.html
I am just so happy. A nice change as mother gets crabbier by the day

September 10 is the move in date I have with the really lovely memory care facility. I hope we all make it.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM

Oh Kalama I am so glad for you that you have a move in date. I took care of my FIL for a while and it is so stressful. It get so much worse when they are crabby. We took turns taking care of him in his home. I usually did 3 days a week. Maybe they will move the date up for you. Good luck with your mom. We so need to take the time to csre for ourselves and we rarely do it.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:33 AM

Pam, congratulations! Good job!

Well this month is a busy party month for me and I've decided I'd do my best to hold my weight where it is instead of losing. When I stress over not eating what is served at a party, when I get home I eat everything I can get my hands on. I've decided to try a new tactic, I'll let you know if it works, of putting one bite of most things on my plate to taste and see what happens at months end. On the rest of the days I'll stick with WW guidelines. Wish me luck and a big GOOD LUCK to all of you on your weight loss journey.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 PM

You can do it silverfox!
I was wondering the other day what a wealth of mind tricks we might all have. They usually wear out and won't work the second time...

Having a friend who has lost or is losing weight is always helpful.

From my 80's WW journey, taking exlax before weigh in. So sad really but in spite of being a well rounded program it is still about the scale. I'm not going there again, being a slave to the scale.

Have you ever nuked a green salad? I can't explain what it does, but it makes it different.

The first time I joined WW was in the mid-70's. I'd quit smoking and was clear up to 120... it's all relative isn't it?
The only commercial diet product was diet soda...we used diet 7up in all kinds of recipes. and saccharin in packets.
Eating liver was required and 4 eggs a week.
That first time I went I ate a whole saltine stack of crackers before I left for the meeting. Never going to get to eat again, right?

Once in the 80's I thought I might use a gym. Remember when those contracts were like dealing with someone who'd break your legs? Fortunately all that shaking machines caused me to pass out, other wise I'd have probably signed up. Never would have worked.

My fitbit is my current mind trick. Why it is better than the standard pedometer I don't know, maybe because it is lime and stays put.

When Jane Fonda came out with the first exercise video I loved it. Bought myself two pair of leggings and body suit. I couldn't find any stripy ones like hers.. And of course feet of clay she has admitted she was using bennies to control her weight.

I remember in the 70's when you could go to a Dr. Woowoo and get them. A lot of my friends did. I never had the money or I'd probably have gone down that road too.

One of the hardest was throwing away food. Cake and stuff. I will though...

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 08-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 AM

WW is one of the programs that has worked for me. I am planning on re-joining soon. That is the mind game that works for me. Something about someone else seeing that number on the scale works for me.I can lie to myself on the scale, not when someone else is recording it. All of my home programs just don't work for me. In my crazy mind the fact that with WW I can eat anything I want helps to keep me away from most of it. As long as I pay for it I can have it. I would like to get a Fitbit.
The whole summer has been crazy at my house. I start back to school on August 26th. Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be less crazy. I went out to lunch with a friend last week. As we finished eating I got a horrible pain in my back and had to leave. I probably shouldn't have driven home. I ended up in the ER with a kidney stone. It has passed and I see the Dr today. Not going to do that again!
I am hoping to spend the day tomorrow in my sewing room. I have barely gotten to sew for the last 2 weeks. I want to make a new bag. I finished up my projects for my guild meeting last night. I just need to balance the guild checkbook and I am finished.
Everyone have a relaxing week. Remember to drink your water and to eat healthy. It should be easy this time of year with all of the fresh produce.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks KalamaQuilts for the vote of confidence, I'll keep it in mind and remember when I'm about to reach for something extra.
I also remember those days in WW when we had to use spaghetti squash for pasta! Being from Italian decent, that didn't thrill me, although it was good. I love the plan today because everything in the world is included as long as it is counted. I've been on the "Simple Start" plan since I started and lost 22 lbs. I hate counting points so I plan not to do that. When my weight loss comes to a halt I may consider trying it for the last few pounds.
I had a party Saturday and tried what I planned, worked out well, Sunday I went light and now Monday I'm back on "SS". Can't wait to get on the scale Thursday, that's my weigh in day, to see how my plan worked. Keep up the good work girls and good luck on whatever plan you're on.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:38 AM

WW is working for me when I work the plan. I don't remember when I joined originally and became a lifetime member. Probably 15-20 years ago. Needless to say I did not stay with the plan, keep going to the meetings and keep my weight off. I have gone back a few times but did not get back to my goal. This time I will. The difference is that my daughter joined with me and she became a lifetime member so I now want to get back down. I have lost 32 lbs since mid January and have 15 to go. It shouldn't have taken this long but I really like my sweets way too much. Buying the WW activity monitor has really helped me be more active.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 AM

Please give me will power! It seems once I slip, I can't get back on track. I know I gained but will not look until next week when I am at the Doctors office.
Am still cleaning my sewing room - what a mess! Am going through every little thing. Did not know I had so many kits! I really must not purchase anything for years! Giving away all my needlework supplies to the wounded warriors- several K's scroll frames, threads, patterns, etc as really having a hard time with the needle. Thank goodness I can still hold a rotary cutter. All my card making stuff is going to a friend who is teaching her granddaughters scrapbooking and card making. Haven't used it in years now watch next year I'll want to use some of the stuff.
I will watch my snacking... I will watch my snacking.....I will watch my snacking.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Please give me will power! It seems once I slip, I can't get back on track. I know I gained but will not look until next week when I am at the Doctors office.
Am still cleaning my sewing room - what a mess! Am going through every little thing. Did not know I had so many kits! I really must not purchase anything for years! Giving away all my needlework supplies to the wounded warriors- several K's scroll frames, threads, patterns, etc as really having a hard time with the needle. Thank goodness I can still hold a rotary cutter. All my card making stuff is going to a friend who is teaching her granddaughters scrapbooking and card making. Haven't used it in years now watch next year I'll want to use some of the stuff.
I will watch my snacking... I will watch my snacking.....I will watch my snacking.
Me, too, Pete. It's so hard to get back into it once you've gotten off track. I'll keep trying, though.

I also got rid of a lot of card making things this summer. I just don't have room for them and when I have free time I go straight to my quilting.

I'm making pesto now to put in the freezer. For a while my basil wasn't growing well but it's taking off now and I have enough to enjoy fresh plus extra to freeze.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I went out to lunch with a friend last week. As we finished eating I got a horrible pain in my back and had to leave. I probably shouldn't have driven home. I ended up in the ER with a kidney stone. It has passed and I see the Dr today. Not going to do that again!
I am hoping to spend the day tomorrow in my sewing room. I have barely gotten to sew for the last 2 weeks. I want to make a new bag. I finished up my projects for my guild meeting last night. I just need to balance the guild checkbook and I am finished.
Everyone have a relaxing week. Remember to drink your water and to eat healthy. It should be easy this time of year with all of the fresh produce.
Oh my goodness! I am glad you are okay. I hope you feel better, soon!