Canned Peaches

Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Get yourself a Ball Blue Book on Canning. The directions and photos are great to teach you how to do it. I canned 10 quarts of green beans today; 5 last week; 12 pints of tomatoes.
Love the Ball Blue Book, also have the Kerr book (oldie but goodie and DH's Grandmother swore by it, pages are falling out;may need to put it in a sleeve to preserve it) and a new one by Taste of Home. You are a canning machine for sure !LOL We'll probably do some more this weekend !

Last edited by Caswews; 08-30-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Okay Sandy: ya gonna share that recipe ?? LOL sounds so good ..
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
Oh, this all reminds me of how my Mom used to can peaches when I was young.

Maybe I can get her to teach me how? I'd better hurry, though... she is 88 already...
---------------------------------------------------
My Grandma used to have me help her can stuff. With peaches, she would always put in 2 or 4 whole cloves,
a little brown sugar and a little white sugar. They were yummy when opened in the cold, drizzling snow winter.
Put in a crust and some strips of crust over them, after being sprinkled with a little flour to keep them from
bubbling over too much they were marvelous!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM

SO many clever grandmothers out there... So many family recipes for sure !
Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM

Ah yes peaches, I have all kinds of fruit trees. Would you believe, we had 3 days of 80% in March this year? We live in Mid Wisconsin! Well all my fruit trees greened our early, and when they were in full bloom, we had a frost. So we have no apples, no mull berries, no pears, no cherries BUT we had peaches!!! They bloomed later and the tree was full, my guess over 3 bushel. Then came a storm, the blew the preach tree over, so to turn nothing into something, I picked a bushell of small green peaches and would you know, they slowly ripened on the cupboard. Then I shared some with friends and canned some(not to pretty ) But again they tasted extra good. The same storm took down my grape fense and by the time we got a new one up and the grapes pruned, (the broken parts from the Storm) the crop was real small, and then in one day the chickens found them and now we have none. Well I still had a big black berry bush to make jam. I kept telling DH soon they would be ready, and DH said I wouldn`t count on it. WELL I took my ice cream pail out to pick them and there stood my DH eating them as he had been every day! There is always next year.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Our fruit trees had the best fruit in many years this year! We have a woods around us and it protects us from frosts that lots of orchards get. My peaches were fabulous and I canned 34 qts of plums this week. Now I have my apples to do yet. I get tired of the kitchen till I'm done, but we eat lots of fruit in the winter-tasty. I think the garden and orchard produce was extra sweet this year!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 PM

My Grandmother used to can spiced peaches and I could eat a ton of them! When I was a kid I spent most summers with my Granny and I wish I had a nickel for every bean I ever snapped for canned green beans I'd be a millionaire! Bless her heart she taught me to can everything, fruits, jams, chow chows, pickles and even meat. The old pressure cooker was doing double duty each summer. Not much to can here in the desert and besides it's a lot of work for me anymore. The last thing I canned was Jalapeno Jelly for my 2 sons a year or so ago.