Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Didn't know where else to look...My 10 year old DD diagnosed with ADHD >

Didn't know where else to look...My 10 year old DD diagnosed with ADHD

Didn't know where else to look...My 10 year old DD diagnosed with ADHD

Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM

If her Dr. is anything like mine. I had to beg and plead before I could get any help at all. They do not throw pills at it here anyway like I think they once did.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 AM

I had to respond to this on 2 levels
1st my daughter has add and dyslexia. Important to know learning disabilities do not mean dummies, because they are average to above average in inteligence. John F. Kennedy was learning disabled. When my daughter was put on ritalin, because of teacher pressure, she reacted with a flat depressed look and I refused to give it to her. Her school years were poor and it was mainly due to teachers not knowing how to teach and that continues to be a problem. But as they say to make a long story short, she did not complete high school and went to beauty school instead. Later I got her interested in checking out an extension program for paralegal at the university and she liked it but decided it wasn't right for her. But she got her foot in the college door and she not has a masters degree in social work. She did here thesis on learning disabilities.
2nd When I worked as a PA (now retired) I had a 2 year old patient and he was bouncing off the walls and his mother was at her wits end. I had recently had the same situation with another mom and she told me when her child was taken off milk and all milk product he became a calm loving child. So I asked this mom to give this a try for 1 week, but she was hesitant because she didn't know how to replace it. I suggested soy milk. After 1 week she called in tears to say she had done it and her child reacted in the same way, calm and focused child. Shortly after a 7 year old on ritalin was brought in by his custodial grandmother, saying this child had no friends at school and he even felt the teachers didn't like him. She was desperate. I thought why not have her try the same no milk or milk product test and she also came back to say the results were amazing. He was getting good grades, had begun to make friends, and the teachers were delighted with his behavior. The child was even making sure he didn't get any food with milk in it and was so happy to feel good. It takes a lot of reading labels and monitoring, but definately worth a week to see if in fact a child has a milk allergy plus it is a do no harm test.
I hope these two stories will offer you some worthwhile information
Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 AM

You have excellent advice. I will just discuss my own experience, and I am pretty radical, so you may or may not find it useful... my feelings won't be hurt. :wink:

My middle son was a flake in elementary school. Most was just his personality, but part of this was due to allergies. He literally could not stop moving and focus. If he was at a desk, he would be jiggling his legs. The allergist and the pharmacist were very helpful. They explained to me that his body, under a "histamine" kind of allery attack, reacted by producing adrenaline. Add some itching and some stuffiness, and the poor kid was out of control. Since he was allergic to mold and dust, among other things, the school environment was making it worse.

In addition, the school breakfasts and lunches (which he loved - he used to suck up to the lunch ladies so they would give him larger servings) were loaded with carbohydrates and chemicals.

He loved school. It was fun. He had friends there. Every day, while his brothers toted big bags of books, he happily dribbled his basketball all the way to the school. Unfortunately, he was failing his classes. When the teachers wanted to put him in remedial math classes in 6th grade, I called a halt to it.

I took him out of the school system and homeschooled him. I was able to give him (and his brothers) my full and undivided attention for the rest of his academic career. (Don't worry - he still had plenty of friends and had a cheerful, happy life! :lol: )

Every morning began with serious exercise. We started with a one-mile run. Then there were some other exercises and outdoor chores. I do not think God created young male people to sit still for extended periods of time. After that came a high-protein low-carb breakfast. When that was done and cleaned up, he did school until lunchtime, then there was an outdoor break, and then he finished his schoolwork. School was done in a strictly structured setting. He was allowed to make noises while he worked on his math, but he had to keep working. we did it together, and I increased the academic standards to a much higher level that he was used to.

No TV, and this was back before videogames and computer games. I believe this is a major contributor to "hyper" behavioral issues. When he was done with school, he did creative or energetic stuff. The kind of stuff boys used to do before they expected "entertainment" to be their primary occupation. He became a voracious reader, and I made sure he had good books.

As he grew older, we tailored his work and play to his skills and goals. He took online college courses during his senior year of high school. He spent four years doing competitive forensics and policy debate, joined the Civil Air Patrol, did volunteer work, played baseball, worked with children's programs at our church, etc etc.

His SAT/ACT scores were very good. He was accepted to every college to which he applied, but he sensibly chose a community college to get his criminal justice/law enforcement degree. Why spend $30,000 on an education when he could get the job with the same degree for under $3000? He also got EMT certified. Energetic, service jobs are great for this kind of personality. Then he went to the police academy. When he got out, he joined the Marines. He is waiting for his training now. His wife is expecting their first baby in October.

SO that was a long story! :lol: I guess my points were:

1. refocus the entire life.
2. serious exercise first thing in the morning
3. High protein breakfast
4. no chemicals - food colors, etc.
5. very structured learning environment with in-your-face attention and high standards. Let them see that they are not at all "dumb".
6. More exercise.
7. No screens. Let them find more wholesome ways to occupy themselves.
8. Useful and productive community service and social involvement. Let them feel that they have something to contribute.
9. Early on, help them establish goals for the future and tailor their activities to that.

Did I mention that he got virtually all A's in college? Including math.

Perhaps you can find one or two points that will help you, even if you are not willing to make that kind of radical change. I believe that just as ADD and ADHD are diagnosed by outward behaviors, it is also largely personality and natural behaviors (especially in male people.) It can be directed into the right paths, and those kind of traits can lead them into a very strong adulthood. But it's a lot of work.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM

I notice something in almost every response ... extra input and attention from a person who is focused on keeping the child on task.

I used to listen to KMBI on the radio at work, and there was an author who had written a book about going back to school after he had reached adulthood. He was about 25, but was so young looking that he was able to re-enter school as a freshman, if I remember correctly.

Two concepts he expressed have never left me.
He counted the number of times a new fact was introduced throughout his seven classes in a day - - it was over a hundred! Think about it! Sitting in a classroom... SITTING ... having over a hundred facts a day crammed into your head, one right after another! We aren't talking one subject ... this is a variety of subjects ... every day! With teachers who could care less what is going on in another class ... they are there for THEIR subject, and whatever goes on outside the one room is none of their concern.
I don't think we parents think about what we didn't like about school since we aren't there any more. It isn't our problem! But, the reality is - - those are the things that are influencing your child ... and, if you are a parent who had parents who lived a different lifestyle that you are living (as in parents providing care, versus institutionalized care) ... your child doesn't even have the foundation to survive what is a frenetic pace of learning.
The other thing the author said was: There was never time to celebrate.
He explained that when he would FINALLY understand one part of a problem or new thought, the teacher had already moved on through however many more new facts the kids are supposed to learn.
Just imagine, if you were sitting here at the computer and saw a quilt pattern you really were excited about - - and had to wait six hours or more to get to it (no fair printing it out - - just a quickly jotted note, without even being able to write what you like about that particular block) ... and right behind that new block that you would LOVE to get up and make right now, there are thirty other quilt blocks being discussed over the course of that hour class ...
I would imagine the very concept is uncomfortable to you as an adult. Imagine being a child, having this going on for hours, five days a week!
I do not often say this, but: That isn't fair!
It is not fair for us adults to expect a child to embrace the education system that isn't designed for individuality ... it just is not fair.
ANd, when a kid rebels in the only manner his/her limited vocabulary and intelligence (only lacking because he hasn't lived long enough to have very many options for action) ... a baby will cry in frustration, but kids ... how else do they have a chance to express the frustration, anger, helplessness, hopelessness they feel because the system is surely not designed for every personality ...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
You have excellent advice. I will just discuss my own experience, and I am pretty radical, so you may or may not find it useful... my feelings won't be hurt. :wink:

My middle son was a flake in elementary school. Most was just his personality, but part of this was due to allergies. He literally could not stop moving and focus. If he was at a desk, he would be jiggling his legs. The allergist and the pharmacist were very helpful. They explained to me that his body, under a "histamine" kind of allery attack, reacted by producing adrenaline. Add some itching and some stuffiness, and the poor kid was out of control. Since he was allergic to mold and dust, among other things, the school environment was making it worse.

In addition, the school breakfasts and lunches (which he loved - he used to suck up to the lunch ladies so they would give him larger servings) were loaded with carbohydrates and chemicals.

He loved school. It was fun. He had friends there. Every day, while his brothers toted big bags of books, he happily dribbled his basketball all the way to the school. Unfortunately, he was failing his classes. When the teachers wanted to put him in remedial math classes in 6th grade, I called a halt to it.

I took him out of the school system and homeschooled him. I was able to give him (and his brothers) my full and undivided attention for the rest of his academic career. (Don't worry - he still had plenty of friends and had a cheerful, happy life! :lol: )

Every morning began with serious exercise. We started with a one-mile run. Then there were some other exercises and outdoor chores. I do not think God created young male people to sit still for extended periods of time. After that came a high-protein low-carb breakfast. When that was done and cleaned up, he did school until lunchtime, then there was an outdoor break, and then he finished his schoolwork. School was done in a strictly structured setting. He was allowed to make noises while he worked on his math, but he had to keep working. we did it together, and I increased the academic standards to a much higher level that he was used to.

No TV, and this was back before videogames and computer games. I believe this is a major contributor to "hyper" behavioral issues. When he was done with school, he did creative or energetic stuff. The kind of stuff boys used to do before they expected "entertainment" to be their primary occupation. He became a voracious reader, and I made sure he had good books.

As he grew older, we tailored his work and play to his skills and goals. He took online college courses during his senior year of high school. He spent four years doing competitive forensics and policy debate, joined the Civil Air Patrol, did volunteer work, played baseball, worked with children's programs at our church, etc etc.

His SAT/ACT scores were very good. He was accepted to every college to which he applied, but he sensibly chose a community college to get his criminal justice/law enforcement degree. Why spend $30,000 on an education when he could get the job with the same degree for under $3000? He also got EMT certified. Energetic, service jobs are great for this kind of personality. Then he went to the police academy. When he got out, he joined the Marines. He is waiting for his training now. His wife is expecting their first baby in October.

SO that was a long story! :lol: I guess my points were:

1. refocus the entire life.
2. serious exercise first thing in the morning
3. High protein breakfast
4. no chemicals - food colors, etc.
5. very structured learning environment with in-your-face attention and high standards. Let them see that they are not at all "dumb".
6. More exercise.
7. No screens. Let them find more wholesome ways to occupy themselves.
8. Useful and productive community service and social involvement. Let them feel that they have something to contribute.
9. Early on, help them establish goals for the future and tailor their activities to that.

Did I mention that he got virtually all A's in college? Including math.

Perhaps you can find one or two points that will help you, even if you are not willing to make that kind of radical change. I believe that just as ADD and ADHD are diagnosed by outward behaviors, it is also largely personality and natural behaviors (especially in male people.) It can be directed into the right paths, and those kind of traits can lead them into a very strong adulthood. But it's a lot of work.

Cathe, Amen and job well done
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 AM

blzrdqueen
imagine how proud I am that my daughter who grew up thinking she was dumb (because that's the way teachers and fellow students made her feel) now has a Masters degree. The classmates and friends that always seemed to get A's while she got Ds and Fs have not gotten to the education level she has reached. So don't give up and always remind your child how smart they are. Also tell your child they only have a different way of learning. My daughter found, in college, the resources that put her on an even playing field with the rest. All her reading came on tapes because if she heard it she remembered it, but did not comprehend it by reading. she was able to use a calculator and have longer to take tests. Most often above average intelligence and you know your child. I too think our food has brought a lot of this on. I hope you found this helpfull and good luck to you and your child.
Jan
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by JANW
blzrdqueen
imagine how proud I am that my daughter who grew up thinking she was dumb (because that's the way teachers and fellow students made her feel) now has a Masters degree. The classmates and friends that always seemed to get A's while she got Ds and Fs have not gotten to the education level she has reached. So don't give up and always remind your child how smart they are. Also tell your child they only have a different way of learning. My daughter found, in college, the resources that put her on an even playing field with the rest. All her reading came on tapes because if she heard it she remembered it, but did not comprehend it by reading. she was able to use a calculator and have longer to take tests. Most often above average intelligence and you know your child. I too think our food has brought a lot of this on. I hope you found this helpfull and good luck to you and your child.
Jan
You have every right to be proud. Because you were a part in believing that your child has immense potential and went about the business of insuring the expression of that potential.
You helped her find her way, in her unique way ... and taught her that "different" does not equate to "stupid" "willful" or any number of adjectives individuals have attributed to them. Good job!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 AM

My 10 yr old son was diagnost in pre school...I have been going through years and years of nothing but problems for and with him...he's been thrown out of school suspended, detention for days in a row..the schoold actualy called children and youth services recently because of him...He was on Strattera, and it was making him angry and violent...and it is a constant fight with him..and him with his 3 siblings, I've gone through years of trying to get him treated properly and being told to go here or there, and then they saying that can't help...Ive been through it ALL! it was so bad, that no one here could take it anymore...Now I love my son more than anything, and I knew this wasn't the real him...so I was determined to find something that worked...finally I went into my doctors office crying, and telling her about the school and the children and youth service claim, and I said I don't care you Have to switch him....He's been on Adderal for almost 2 months now..and In the very first day of taking it, no one recognized him...he was a completely different child..he wasn't violent or aggressive, he made it through school, he hasn't been in detention since...the school is just totaly pleased with him now. But this has taken me years just to get him the right help and medication..,I pray you don't have to go through the same thing..I know how hard it is...If you ever need to talk, or want some advice or anything, anything at all...please don't hesitate to ask!! I wish you both the best :)
Jamie
Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

My DD was on ADD meds in school and the Dr. had a blood test done every few months, and she was required to meet with a therapist once a month to be sure there were no side effects from the meds mental wise. After testing it was determined she only needed Adderall that lasts for 8 hours, isn't addictive and she only took it during school days. I would have been giving her a stronger pill everyday if I listen to the Ped.

I would not let a GP Dr. or Ped. prescribe ADD meds. A specialist in ADD is the only one that can test your child to know exactly which form of this disorder she has. Most Dr. prescribe the drug that seems to be the best for most kids and go from there. If your Dr. isn't a specialist, please see one for a second opinion. There are certain test to have to be done before it's certain what you child needs. The pill may subdue your child and it seems it is working until much later when problems from wrong meds or a wrong diagnosis is discovered.

DD is off the meds and doing fine now. We had to change her diet, no processed foods at all and practicality no white foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, white four,boxed cereals. It's an adjustment and commintment for the whole family.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JANW
1st my daughter has add and dyslexia. Important to know learning disabilities do not mean dummies, because they are average to above average in inteligence.
We have a non-profit organization in Sacramento called "a touch of understanding" They go to elementary schools and set up sessions for the kids to understand what it means to have and live with a disability. Learning disabilities is one of their sessions. I attended the setup once and had to do a series of tasks by just looking in a mirror. It was one of the most frustrating experiences and it made me REALLY understand (and be more empathetic towards) my DH and nephew among many dyslexic individuals. OMG I just couldn't do the most basic tasks - I almost ended up in tears due to frustration. My hat's off to anyone who mwneuvers through the maze of those challenges.