fibromyalgia

Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM

i have had fybro sence 1987 fell off chair backwards that started the journy through pain also have sjogrens syndrom and copd. i finaly just desided to take the least amount as possable of meds, take a nap midday helps. each person is affected diffrently, just take each day at a time and find what works for you there is no set rules i think i have used every med they recomend for fybro over the years and nothing has realy helped
Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Check out medical scams for herbal paracite cleanse...many false claims out there and harmful. I did a search on it and found hundreds of sites with explanations...be careful!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM

I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome,insomnia and Severe Multiple Chemical Sensitivities among other medical issues including migraines. I am highly sensitive to medications because of the chemical issues so I take none but had tried many resulting in bad side effects.

What worked best for me was a combination of bio-feedback, relaxation therapy, and accupuncture. All of these reduced my severe pain signifigantly. When I medically retired, my insurance would no longer pay for those procedures. So now I try to stay active, eat healthy and keep a positive attitude. I pray. I tell myself it could be worse. Most importantly for me, is to keep my body warm. In the fall and winter, I sleep on a heated mattress pad under knit sheets. I use the knit sheets year round. I use aspercreme because it has no odor. When I am at the painful stage where I want to cry, I don't because it makes me feel worse by clogging up my sinuses and gives me a headache. I do sometimes say "Oh Sh*t" one time very firmly and let it go at that. I have a wonderful understanding husband who makes my life easier and happy everyday.

Rest when you are tired, be active as much as you can each day even if it is only a few minutes at a time. Get help when you need it and try to be happy. Oh, yes - try to stay away from the nightshade group of foods because they increase the pain for people with fibro. & arthritis. That includes white potatoes, eggplant, all peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos and paprika. If you smoke, it includes tobacco. My prayers are with you and anyone else who suffers from this disease.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julianna
Check out medical scams for herbal paracite cleanse...many false claims out there and harmful. I did a search on it and found hundreds of sites with explanations...be careful!
There sure are...because the pharma compamies want to keep you on thier meds and don't want to actually cure you. They want to make you more sick so they can add more meds. I haven't taken prescription meds in ages...neither have my kids. We are very healthy and rely on herbal remedies all the time. I can say that I took that cleanse myself. passed worms that were at least a foot long...LOTS of them...and have had NO health problems since. It even fixed the problems the doctors caused to begin with. If you cleanse your body you give it the power it needs to heal. ANY cleanse is better than no cleanse...but I guess you do have to know what you're looking for.
My husband and MIL were never believers...until I started showing my DH what to take for various complaints. Saved him shoulder surgery last year...torn rotator cuff. How? A herbal remedy...he hasn't had a probelm since. Don't knock it till you try it...or stay sick...it's up to you. But we all know that our medical system isn't really curing much of anything anymore. They are getting really good at making us a bunch of addicts though.
Sorry for the rant...it just burns me that the REAL cures get buried so fast.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julianna
My husband suffers from fibromyalgia. For years doctors told him it was depression, imagined, etc. He now has a competent doctor and takes Lyrica with some success, and exercise helps too. DO NOT try all the scams. Check them out on Scambusters on-line or search all the Medical Scams. Worst one in Kansas City area was Nikkon. It used "magnetic water" (impossible) and had salespeople who never even passed elementary science! Also scams are aroma therapy, fake vitamins, facing north rubbing mud on yourself, Noni juice and many more snake oil fads. Do your research and find support groups. I have put your doughter on my seven state prayer list. Let us know her progress.
OK...you do have a point with these scams :) LOL! The #1 rule I follow is that herbs are food. And they are healing foods. Look into what's wrong with you and find the herbs that are good for that ailment. Buy a good quality product at a health food store, or a company with a good reputation. Unicity is a good solid company...as is Trivita and there are many others. I know from experience...and I am not a salesperson.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by kreinhart742
If you have her take Vitamin D and have her levels checked most suffers of Fibromyalgia are extremely low. Also a mild exercise program such as swimming is beneficial. There is a med called Savella that I have had great success with in my patients.

Karla Reinhart - Nurse Practitioner
I'm on Savella...and it has helped some. Couldn't take Lyrica due to severe sideffects.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Eliminating dairy and wheat are helping to ease my joint stiffness and pain. However, I know I should be even more strict and cut back on sugar. It's so hard to eat only what is the best for you.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B. Louise
Eliminating dairy and wheat are helping to ease my joint stiffness and pain. However, I know I should be even more strict and cut back on sugar. It's so hard to eat only what is the best for you.
This will help many of you. It is hard to do though:) Any diet changes are. But worth it if you want to feel better.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by raptureready
My mother, also a sufferer of this disease, dug up burdock (wild leafy weed) roots, washed, quartered and cut them into 3-4" lengths. Then she would pour about 2" of rubbing alcohol out of the bottle and put enough of the burdock roots in it to fill it up. She'd put the cap back on and set this mixture in the window sill. When the alcohol turns sort of dark brown it's done and ready to use. She'd rub this on the most painful areas a couple of times a day and it helped. Worried that there might be something in burdock that would hurt her I contacted a plant/folk medicine expert at the University of Illinois. He researched it for me and said that burdock has been used for hundreds of years as a pain reliever. It can, although a bit bitter, be eaten in salads, dried and brewed as tea, or infused in alcohol as mom did. You can also use a rolling pin to crush the fresh leaves, dip them in hot water and wrap them around a gout inflamed toe then wrap a towel around that for some relief.
This is about the only thing that burdock is good for! Nasty plant.....
I think it's rather pretty---the large bubbly looking leaves, so full and close to the ground. But I will say that cleaning and cutting the roots isn't all that easy. It should be done when there's been plenty of rain but not flooding and those roots are TOUGH!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 AM

I was finally dx'd with Fibro in 1999. Suffered for years prior. It'd take me 10 minutes to get out of a chair & walk across the room. Tons of muscle knots so big the docs were shocked I was still moving. There answer...anti-depressants. All they did for me was cause tons of side effects. Tried several, tried Cymbalta, Lyrica, and all the so called cures for Fibro. The docs shoved meds at me. None helped at all. What I found does help is exercise, vitamins, good diet(dump the fast food & artifical sweeteners) & a positive attitude. Stress will make Fibro worse. Laughter daly is a must as well. It stimulates all the good endorphines.

15-20 minutes of exercise(resistance, stretch & cardio) 3 times a week, multi-vitamin, B Complex, Vitamin D, COq10, Calcium, magnesium, eat lots of veggies(esp green veggies). Stay warm, as cold temps makes it worse. Massage is a must. Rid yourself of toxic friends & family. Negative anything adds stress, which = more pain. It's taken me several years, but thru all of this I am better. The massive muscle knots are gone, my pain level is way down & I feel better than I have in a long time. I am not on any meds for Fibro. On a bad day I take Advil, nap, & my Huz gives me a massage.

Each of us, who has this nasty monster, is affected differently by it. So the answer is to try things & see what works.