fibromyalgia

Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM

I also have fibro and have found that Savella and Neurotin help the most as far as meds go. I also have damaged discs and pinched nerves so alot of the exercises etc. that would help the fibro I can no longer do. Magnesium helps the pain and the "fibro fog". Vitamin D-3 helps me too. Lyrica seemed to work when I first began taking it but then the side effects kicked in and it just wasn't worth it.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I sympathise with your DD. I have had fibro most of my adult life. I have gone through years with few symptoms and other times it was almost crippling.
Attitude is very important. Laughter is medicinal. Hot showers or baths and massages help. Having a supportive spouse makes a lot of difference. There is a lot of research going on now and hopefully they will come up with the answer.
I take Cymbalta. It's the only thing that has worked for me. I still have flare ups from time to time, but overall it works well for me.
Check out this site. I get the news letter with all the latest research and suggestions.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/

I hope she gets some help. The good news is it tends to wax and wane, so she will have better days. :cry:
Cymbalta has been a miracle drug for me as well. Lyrica did awful things to my memory, speech, etc.

Another thing that has helped tremendously is trigger point injections. They inject a numbing agent with cortisone into the areas that are the most tender. My first time they used up the max amount on the 'good' side of my shoulders & neck and barely touched the 'bad' side because they can only give you so much at a time. I had to wait 3 weeks (per insurance company) and then they started with the 'bad' side and used 3 syringes full instead of two. It's been great!

The next step is botox to 'paralyze' the muscles for (3) months. I joked and told my husband my shoulders would look younger than my face!

Unfortunately, I ran out of COBRA benefits and lost my health insurance. When I asked how much the Botox would cost they told me the 'bill the insurance company' $2,000. Needless to say, I cancelled that appt.

Tell her to hang in there. When I was in my thirties my doctor told me I didn't want to believe there was nothing wrong with me and that I needed to see a psychiatrist! Well, I WORKED FOR a psychiatrist at the time who told me to there had to be something physically wrong with me. I changed doctors and have been dealing with the dx of Fibro for almost 20 years now. Unfortunately, I have to work as DH had a stroke and the 'small' disability income is not enough to keep the power on!

She can PM me anytime.

Peggy
Freezing in Florida ... but the sun came out!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2004. I too have tried so many different medications. I have all 18 triggers and the pain is so bad that even wearing clothes hurt. Some days my husband can't even give me a hug because it hurts so bad. Right now they have me on Gabapentin, three 300mg three times a day. I tried Lyrica in 2008 but I had so many problems with it such as swelling and pain in my legs and suicidal tendencies which the last one I almost went into a coma. They couldn't get me to wake up. They did everything from pinching me to the sternum rub (which wakes up most people) without any results. The ambulance ran lights a siren all the way to the hospital and the paramedics gave me 3 doses of the medication that takes the medicines out of your system (sorry, I can't remember the name of it). I finally came to just as the ambulance pulled into the hospital. I'm on 13 different meds right now (I have other health problems). When they took me off Lyrica, the depression has subsided and the swelling in my legs is gone. They put me back on the Gabapentan and it controls it somewhat. My point is, watch what the reactions she has to any medications they put her on. Some meds work better on different people. She is in my prayers. I know what she is going through.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 AM

NOTE FROM MY DAUGHTER:
I can't do detox cleanses and stuff because of the medications I am on which you cannot just stop taking, some detox's cause you to rapidly withdrawal from them. Antidepressant withdrawal is ten times worse than opiate withdrawal as is the withdrawal from my Nuerontin, which from its name you can tell is the one for my nervous system, and rapid detox from that can be dangerous even life threatening. The closest thing to a detox of any sort that I can do is drink the detoxify type teas and take in good amounts of antioxidants :) I would like to try that burdock infusion! Also please tell them thank you SO much for all of your help and that:

Gabapentin (brand name: Nuerontin) is what I take! And it's awesome! It's been helping a lot, although I may need to increase my dose again as I am in the middle of a 2 week flare up (*sigh*) but it's great and I didn't have the horrible side effects I had with Lyrica and Cymbalta. Cymbalta just really messed with my head, I think it had something to do with the antidepressant side of it because I had SEVERE problems with Lyrica. My mom can vouch for me. I was so confused and ditzy ALL the time! I would be driving and forget where I was going on a daily basis. Essentially it made my Fibrofog a million times worse, and even worse than that, I didn't realize it most of the time! I also take oxycodone (essentially that is Percocet without the acetaminophen, which 1) can cause problems with your kidneys, liver and stomach after prolonged use and 2) I have a sensitive stomach for it) I am currently at 5mg 4 times a day but I see my doctor tomorrow and am hoping he will increase it to 15 or 30 mg tablets 2 or 3 times a day. There has been research to say that the higher milligrams of oxycodone often work better because there is less 'filler'. If you take a 5mg and a 30mg pill side by side, they are pretty close to the same size! Not to mention my pain has been slowly increasing. My doctor told me that since I am so young I am pretty much at the beginning of the progression. Some doctors will tell you it is not a progressive disorder, I was once told, at least it won't get any worse for you, where you are now that we have diagnosed you is when it will stay... WOW was HE wrong!!! LOL! It is in fact a progressive disorder, and as most of you I am sure know all too well, we don't need the research to back it up even though it is there if we find the need!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by gnewk
I have taken Doxepin for years and keeps everything under control....
Really? I was on this for my hives (had them for 7 years straight). They never told me it was a sleeping pill, so I couldn't figure out why it would knock me out. Years after I had started taking it, a nurse asked if I was still taking sleeping pills, I told her I never did take sleeping pills, that's when she told me doxepin was a sleeping pill. Guess that answered a lot. :)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

I have noticed in this thread that no one has mentioned eating dried sour cherries or drinking the sour cherry juice. I have had limited improvement with this plus my regular meds, but others have had better results. The juice is a concentrate that you only need 1oz mixed in water. Can't remember the name of it (fibro fog).
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM

What has worked best for me is exercise. I started exercising in water and now I swim laps. Walking, even if it is just for a few minutes at a time is really important for me. I need to keep moving.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM

I also have fibro. Have had it for about 28 years now and can tell you that it does get worse and sometimes it gets better. Right now I am on gabapentin 600mg - 4 times a day. Taking a hot shower when I get up in the morning helps with the tightness and cramps. Keep moving, some days are better than others but keep the faith.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I apologize that I just can't read all the responses right now due to a headache, so if I repeat...
Each person with FM has something in common with all the other FM sufferers and at the same time, many cases seem to be unique to that individual.
I have multiple chemical sensitivites...there are chemicals...I'm not talking added chemicals like preservatives etc. although those are a very big deal...foods change our bodies.
Vitamins and minerals change our bodies...they matter,...whether too little or too much of some of them.
I find personally that I suffer from what I eat and some foods more than others.
I do have environmental allergies and intolerances also.
In short, these things have helped:
b-12 shots...I do have diagnosed anemia though
Ocuvite, I have to quarter them...to many vitamins aggravate my stomach
Folic acid...i have ibs, often common with FM sufferers, and don't absorb all the vitamins and nutrients from my foods.
This one in particular has helped me a lot.
Heat is fantastic, as my FM affects my circulation.
Massage is wonderful too.
Mild stretching exercises help and will help with sleep.
I do NOT take sleeping pills,...too many side affects...like insomnia!!!
extra strength tylenol, I do not "overtake"...bad for liver...
my doctor checks my liver enzymes to make sure it's not affecting me, as I cannot take nsaids.
Relaxation and prayer and quilting.
Some parts of quilting are hard on me, while other parts are very relaxing and enjoyable, releasing endorphins.
Laughter...something we often overlook.
I hope she finds relief. She is not alone!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM

I have the same. Stretch and keep moving. My pain pills were causing crazy things, so now I watch my diet, lots of vegs and most important, take breaks and move around. My heart goes out to her with a little one.