grrr, really?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by simplecomforts
I have husband who takes a count of all the material I have. He ia always asking me questions. How maney quilts is this bunch of fabric for ? What are you going to do with all these quilts your making? How maney quilts do we need? All you do is sew and sew. And I look at him and say. When my time is up you can have fun selling them. Now leave me alone and go work on your collection of matchbox cars.{ He will stop at every Walmart he sees as he's driving just to see if they have his cars he's looking for} But do I say anything about his collecting little cars. No way. Point made Oh by the way I buy only the small scissors. His fingers are to big to use them.
I have to pray that the postman comes before my dh gets home when I am expecting a package. Unfortunately, my new postman comes between 5 and 6 and he is home by then. I feel guilty when I buy more fabric because I know he thinks I have too much as it is. However, when I walk downstairs to his "man cave," I often stop feeling guilty. Unlike matchbook cars, my husband collects guns and ammunition. He reloads his ammo, so his collection of guns, bullets, casings, powder, et cetera, would rival my fabric collection any day. I KNOW he has way more invested in his collection than I do. He has lots of ammunition that cost over a dollar a bullet! When he goes to shoot, he probably uses up at least a hundred dollars worth of ammunition in an hour. I sure don't do that with my quilting!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
Hmmmm, guess that is why DH stands for something very different down under. And he would not be getting to rummage in my drawers for a while as punishment.
:twisted: :oops: :shock: :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Ladies,

Thanks for the laugh this morning, it goes well with my coffee.

I have 4 or 5 pairs of scissors, each has its place in my sewing room. One is or should say was for cutting odds and ends in the house, so when I replaced them. That pair made it's way to my husband's shop. I have yet to have him come in and us any part of my stash as cleaning rags, but my candy stash is another story.

My husband wanders into my sewing room, and things get remodeled or I get a new sewing item. So I guess you could say.....my husband can wander in the sewing room anytime and ravage the fabric.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Oh yes, I am a hider a well. DH won't dig through my sewing cabinet, I know that much. Everything is contained in drawers and Rubbermaid boxes. I gave him his own scissors, too :)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

My husband used to use my sewing scissors for a lot of things many years ago (his mother always bought cheap scissors and I guess he never really thought about it). Then fate caught up with him :XD: and he BROKE the blades of my sewing scissors that he'd borrowed w/o permission to cut pieces of cardboard. Yes, you heard right, cardboard. I think he knew he was in deep ... stuff... anyway, I shamed him into getting me new scissors (I gave him a list of stores to look in, I can be nice or I might still be waiting for those darn things). He walked in with Ginghers and has never touched them again w/o asking.

A serious discussion is probably in order if your hubby has boundery issues. What if you had reached in and cut yourself on the open blade because he messed it up? My husband is far from perfect but we drew boundery lines a long time ago. I ask to poke into his tool area and borrow his stuff and he returns the favor. I always had my scissors and cuttors hanging on a pegboard in plain sight (even when the kids were little, they knew never to touch) but if you are worried about safety, use a lock box.

I have never had the urge to keep a stash of candy so I don't really know why he rummages. If he's looking for treats, have you tried hiding a treat on his pillow or in his lunch periodically to maybe curb his hunting instinct? It works for the cats. :-)
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Years ago I laid down the law to my husband and the kids, threatening death to anyone touching any of my sewing things, especially my scissors. It must have worked because they're all pretty good about staying away from my stuff. Oh, my husband probably goes in and uses my scissors and things when I'm not around, but he's been good about hiding it so far. I do keep cheap scissors in other parts of the house for cutting paper & such, with four pairs in the kitchen alone.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 PM

I, too, have the regular scissors in the "public" sector of the house that are for anyone to use but no one uses my scissors w/o permission. Paybacks are nasty.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM

I am glad it is not just my husband. Although it can all be replaced and its not a life or death issue around here. He did however redeem himself. He went to school this morning and came home with a new cutter in the bag along with a few things I needed him to pick up! The funny thing.
I haven't even opened it yet. The blade on the old cutter is still sharp and it works. I just have to make sure I don't absent mindedly put it in my pocket between cuts like I normally do! lol
Can you imagine going to the hospital and explaining THAT one? Actually I would have to call his work and explain to them first what I had done because I would need him to come home. And that would be worse than explaining at the hospital! My husband works in a prison.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:08 PM

No one in my family are welcome in my sewing room unless they have been invited, except the dog. They have learned that if they touch my scissors or cutter, that they don't want to pay the consequenses. If the scissors don't have red nail polish on the blade....don't even THINK of using the scissors.
When a pair of scissors is given over to them, it gets a blob of red nail polish so that they can identify the ones they are allowed to use.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator

my son still loves to play hide and seek with some of my tools. (which is my polite way of ratting him out for borrowing and then leaving them in strange places. :lol: )

i could let that drive me crazy. i just get even. every once in a while i'll purloin one of his t-shirts. what's that? you wanted to wear it this weekend? it hadn't shrunk and faded too much yet? sooooooooooooo sorry. :lol:

he mows the lawn, clips the hedges, sprays for bugs (saving me a small fortune on exterminator fees) and takes the trash out as often as i do. he dogsits whenever i ask; stands online at the post office for me; and performs many other random acts of kindness.

oh. and he loves and respects me. :-)

worth waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than a misplaced or broken tool every once in a while. ;-)