Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Did You Meet Your Spouse >

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Trevor and I met through an online chat site called "Plenty of Fish" back in 2007. We chatted a bit through the site and over the phone. Then one day we decided it was time to meet. We went for a really nice walk in one of the local parks and three years later here we are waiting any day for our sweet little baby boy William to make his grand entrance into the world.

We were both married in our previous lives and we had rough divorces. We decided we were in no hurry to get married and that for now we are happy the way we are.

Vancouver 2010 - me and my sweetie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60173.jpe  
Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM

My husband and I met through a friend online in March in 1999 (an online friend to both of us) through a chat program called ICQ. I flew to meet him and three other friends (as he was in Ozone AK and I was in Kentucky). He asked me to marry him that weekend and I told him he was crazy ... we burned up the net and the phone lines ... and he moved to Kentucky in June, got married in Oct 1999 ... almost 11 years now ... God bless his heart ... and he still puts up with my zaniness :D
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM

We lived 5 miles apart when we were 7-8 years old. My family moved away and so did his, to totally different parts of the state.
The year I graduated from nursing school, I found a job in Southern KY. I shared a house with a girl friend who was set up on a blind date with Jerry. When he brought her home...well, let's just say that was their last date!
And yes, she's still a good friend. that was 43 years ago!

Several years ago, I was sorting through some old school photos and found that we had attended the same school in 1953. That's how we cam to realize that we had lived so near to one another when we were children.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

blind date........... I had to be blind, or stupid but I wised up I divorced him 16 years later!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
blind date........... I had to be blind, or stupid but I wised up I divorced him 16 years later!!!!!!!!
I'm not mentioning our first disasters either! SEcond time worked.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 PM

This is great, all these stories. Nice to see I'm not the only on-line wife.

I didn't even own a computer, but my single GF wanted to join and we had a riotous evening writing bios for each other. I thought the on-line thing was boring and asked to have my name removed. A couple of months after that, an e-mail arrived from the on-line company (it was actually through my phone company!). The e-mail message turned out to be the fateful one from my now husband. After a year of e-mail and another year of commuting 400 km so we could see one another, I lost my job. It seemed the perfect opportunity to move closer to this guy and see if it was as good as it seemed. Obviously so, since we've now been married for 6 years.

He wanted to ask me to marry him on valentine's day, but had gone on an ice fishing trip and been stuck for hours in the snow. When he got home, I had a meatloaf waiting in the oven and he said that decided it, and proposed over the meatloaf.

If we had known this would be so good, it would have been tempting to skip over the first 20 years to get straight to the good part.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM

I met my one and only in my paternal grandmother's parlor.

I thought he was there to court my aunt, who is just shy of being 5 years older than I am.

I kept thinking he was all wrong for her, but sure did fit my list, and yes, I really had a list of qualities I did and did not want in a husband. And I prayed over that list and how to meet this guy..or should I admit to nagging the Lord over the matter?

When my aunt momentarily left the room for some forgotten reason, he moved over to sit closer to me. Oh, what to do, what to do...if he was there for her, I had no business even considering him, plus I was "too young"...but I was so "taken" with him.
Having written the list in secret, and knowing it so well, having prayed over it so very, very often, I kept mentally comparing the list to him, and finding he even had some lovely qualities I had not thought to put on my list.
And he was cute too.
We never dated.
We were also never left alone, because everyone tells me that they could see the way we felt about each other, it was so "obvious". They also say that when we are in the same room, that look is still in our eyes.

Later, as I discussed the issue with my aunt, she just laughed and told me she had arranged for him to be there specifically to meet me. And no, she had never seen my list.

He proposed to me a week before his birthday that same year, and then waited 5 years to marry me, to the day...no dating, no vodio dough...He said he never wanted to forget either date...so made it just before his birthday by design.

After 35 years of marriage, as I lay "dying" in the hospital, pondering if I should let myself go, and ease his burden or allow them to torture my body more so I might live... (doctors had told him it would only be a matter of hours, not knowing I heard them) ...I whispered to him that he should look for a new wife, not just live alone and lonely...he said I better fight this thing...{he had started bringing quilt UFO's to pin up in my hospital room}...said he would rather they cut off his arms & legs than loose me...another wife? Im not done with you yet, you have too many unfinished projects to die on me. Who would finish them, and who is writing the book?
Six weeks later I was discharged.

I have never read a poem or a card that helped me see how much a man can love a disabled, sickly woman, as the words he gave me that day...he is a man who puts a value on his day according to what he was able to get done...cut off his arms and legs, and his days would have no value. He would be miserable the rest of his life.

In that hospital room was not so much as one piece of clothing that was mine... But we had to get two carts to carry out all the stuff he had toted to my room to inspire, uplift and keep me thinking about life, living and "finishing projects". I could not focus to thread a needle, and could barely find the strenth to hold a spoon, or pen, let alone sew and quilt. I was discharged wearing an outfit a daughter brought me to wear that same day...

I usually only get out to go to the hospital or the doctors.
He does the shopping, even for fabrics, and always brings back a piece that is perfect for what ever project needed some little piece to look just right. He has a real eye for color and balance, and a true appreciation for the work I do.
If he knows about a yard sale, he stops and shops with the thought of not only what we need and staying within the budget, but also what can he bring me home to make my day.
When our adult children say "doesn't mom have enough craft junk already?" He tells them that he doesn't care if the bins of stuff reach the ceiling, if it makes me happy and keeps me going.

He makes me stuff...like hand cut plexi templates, or wooden quilt racks, drafts me up blocks by hand for the small size I want them...and presses the yardage when it's laundered, for a border...figured out that crafters have stuff posted on You Tube...and found me this quilting board.

Since Hurricanes Ivan & Dennis, all my stuff has been in storage in plastic bins...yes, stacked to the ceiling, where I can't get at it, but neither can the water, bugs and critters. He is creating a room that I can claim as all mine for crafting, quilting and "storage" I can access. I can no longer climb stairs, so a vacant bedroom up there will not work. I can hardly wait.
Rather than the motto "she who dies with the most fabric wins", I would rather imagine that I live long enough to get all my projects finished, and given to those I made them for, as gifts of love.

The quilt I am making as a testiment for our love combines two "special blocks"...the outer block is Feathered Star, the center of each Feathered Star is a small Mariner's Compass...
His boss bought me the fabrics as a gift. Hand batiked fabrics (all in blue & white) from South Africa...a small bin worth.

I wish we could have had our grandchildren first...the "children" drive me up the wall sometimes...so on those days their HIS, but when they are good, they are ours, now on those rare times when they are extraordinary, they are mine...LOL

4 adult children and 11 grandchildren, so far. Also 2 Morgans (Romeo & Juliet), 2 Shetland Ponies (Little Ceasar and Mr Ed), 1 Mastif (Gracie) and one Cocker-Poo (Sandy-boy).

I also have one long term (over 10 years) lady quilt friend that comes here, and even transports me to and from the hospital...as I can't climb up in my husband's big truck.
Sometimes, when I am having an exceptionally good day, after we have been to the doctors, she will sneak me into a fabric store to have a look at what is currently on the market.

My husband was in the Navy for 22 years, and Naval Reserves for 10. Except when he had sea duty and went out to sea, I went everywhere with him...
It can be hard to keep a good friend when you live in a military town...and we retired at his last duty station. By then, we already knew I needed to stay by a military hospital. So having a friend for 10 years is amazing for me.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:24 AM

My Husband was my next door neighbour!

He helped me find my cat when he went missing and I took a bootle of wine around to say thanks! That was in March 97, I moved in with him (easiest removal I ever did!!) in Augst and we married in March 99 on the anniversary of our first date!

10 months later our beautiful daughter was born!!

(we have both been married before - but no children and this ones a keeper!!!)
Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 AM

i met my husband at work in a steel mill. i was going through a divorce with 2 babies. when i first saw him i said to myself " i think i'll have that"! this august will be 30 years.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:44 AM

Well, my hubby is my second marriage in paperwork but first in my eyes, he was the best man and will always be the best man for me. He even asked me at teh first wedding if I wanted to go thru with it or wanted to leave before going up the isle, I should have trusted him back then he knew what was right.Let me tell the younger ladies on here don't ever marry because of a baby , it usually doesn't work out and you regret everything. I learned the hard way.My husband raised the girls like they were his own and still does to this day they are now 22 and 24