I'M SO MAD!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM

How terrible! I'm assuming she contacted the police and could give a description? This doesn't sound like their first rodeo. I'm so sorry this had to happen to her.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Oh no! That's awful! I hope they catch those creeps
Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM

There have been several articles in our newspapers warning about this. Also, utilities workers. You have to be so careful about strangers these days. I feel sorry for her.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM

We got to see Ruth yesterday. She seems to be in pretty good shape mentally. I am really surprised. She said that she still has not heard anything from the police, but her son-in-law's mother had read in their paper last week about a similar scam in their town, about 35 miles away. Looks like they should be able to track these people down since they told what kind of truck they were in and could give descriptions.

I live in the middle of no-where, 8 miles outside of town. We have neighbors, but about 1/4 mile away and our house is the closest house to the street. If anyone breaks down, gets lost or whatever, they stop here. I just don't think I am going to go to the door any more, unless I know the people there or unless my husband or son is here. There's been many times in my past when I have opened the door to strangers and gone outside with them for one thing or another...guess I've learned my lesson through Ruth learning hers. Thanks all of you for listening to me vent...
Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM

We absolutely MUST try to talk older people into direct deposit with SS checks and any other regular monies she gets. And she should keep her credit cards and check books in the bank safe deposit if she is afraid of having them stolen. She could have someone (or a bus or taxi) take her to the bank with a prewritten list of who gets what, plus her customer numbers at the top of most invoices, and a handful of pre-addressed letters.

I'm 77 and do my own stuff, but like others have said, I do not let strangers inside my house, talk to them from behind a locked screen door, and when I do bother answering the door I have either a base ball bat or Tiny Tim (a snub nosed revolver) in my hand. I don't get much repeat traffic!
When friends come over they phone first, or else I call them.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM

My DML's second H was so gullable he was always looking for get rich schemes he actualy maxed his credit cards and too the money out to the airport and gave it to some one who told him that they had won the lottery but did not have any id I think you all know the rest If my DH had knowen about it at the time I think he would have rung old lopsided's head
Old 11-04-2010, 02:39 PM

What a horrible world this becoming. Being in my late 50's, I am sure my parents said the same thing. But it seems no one cares about anyone anymore, except themselves. That is just horrible. Murphy said hanging is too good. I agree. My husband and think they need to bring back certain practices and practices that are used in some foreign countries. You steal, you lose your hands. We live close to the big city of Pittsburgh and we always say when something orrible like this happens that they need to have Gallos at the Point in Pittsburgh. Start doing things like that and maybe crime will do down a bit. Terrible, terrible people to do that to anyone, let alone a sweet, older woman. I will keep her in my prayers tonight.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM

[quote=Candace]They will pay. IF not now, then later. :
Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Oh, that is so terrible! Look for more of this type of thing as the economy tanks even further.
Y'all be careful out there.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:20 PM

I Am so sorry to hear that You Have to be so Careful. I have Gotten To The Point that i won't even open my door if I don't know you. i just don't answer the door bell.now if TheBreak in I got something for That to you know what i mean!!!